• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2010 3:16 am
[OP]
Mar 8, 2007
73 posts
7 upvotes

Best car rental deals for underage drivers

Hello everyone!

Alright! I have to admit that I am not a frequent poster on rfd but I do come back to this website every now and then looking for a deal :D

I've been checking out car rental threads on rfd and noticed that deals posted usually assume that renters are over 25 or so. I think an official car rental thread for "underage" drivers is necessary as am sure that a fair number of readers here are under 25.

I'm under 25 and am interested in knowing what the best deals are that the other "underage" drivers have been getting.

I'll start with myself, being a university student I usually get the underage fee waived with avis and hertz. I personally prefer hertz since they offer 50% off weekend rentals and are usually cheaper than avis. The problem is that the hertz branch in my town is closed leaving me with no other options but to rent from avis :( .

Any other underage drivers can contribute some information as to the best deal they can find? As far as I know, all other car rentals charge the underage fee and there is no way to waive it (correct me if am wrong).

Any help would be appreciated! :cheesygri
8 replies
Deal Guru
May 14, 2007
14300 posts
1060 upvotes
Scarborough
this might be in the wrong forum i think...

edit:before i posted it was in hot deals..
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
7794 posts
3665 upvotes
Discount should rent it to you as well but there is a $10 daily fee .. no way around it.
May 11, 2008
21 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa
I know Enterprise is supposed to charge a 10$ a day extra, but I haven't had to pay it on multiple occasions at the Enterprise on Merivale in Ottawa. YMMV though.
[OP]
Mar 8, 2007
73 posts
7 upvotes
hey guys thanks for the replies so far
boyoflondon wrote:
Mar 24th, 2009 12:30 am
Discount should rent it to you as well but there is a $10 daily fee .. no way around it.
But I guess with discount you don't get unlimited kms like with hertz and avis right? (I believe its only 300 kms per day)

brettdwsmith wrote:
Mar 24th, 2009 8:18 am
I know Enterprise is supposed to charge a 10$ a day extra, but I haven't had to pay it on multiple occasions at the Enterprise on Merivale in Ottawa. YMMV though.
The problem I always run into with Enterprise is that they ask for liability insurance (not LDW) which means that you have to have insurance from a car you own or through your parents or so to rent from them.

I used to rent from Enterprise only for my university projects since apparently it gets covered under university insurance if its for work purposes.

Anyone has experience with "underage" renting from other car rental companies?
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
1052 posts
49 upvotes
Quebec
wella wrote:
Mar 24th, 2009 8:32 am
...The problem I always run into with Enterprise is that they ask for liability insurance (not LDW) which means that you have to have insurance from a car you own or through your parents or so to rent from them...
I think some credit cards offer rental insurance for free so if you rent often it may be a good deal to look for that.
Best deals I got thanks to RFD:
Sony 60" SXRD RPTV with Stand 1749$ :arrowl: :razz:
Sep 19, 2004
39 posts
3 upvotes
In Toronto I found
1. Ace, 21 years old +, $15 fee
2. Rent a Wreck, 21 +, G license, you can get discounts with a SPC (Student Price Card)
3. Thrifty, 21to 24 years old, young Driver fee of $30/day but it is negotiable

for 23 years and older there is:
TransCanada, Advantage, BF and Auto Hire
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2005
4285 posts
114 upvotes
Has anyone rented in the US for underage drivers? There's two of us that are 23 and need to rent for 5 days. I can't seem to find a solid deal for this :!: :!:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2004
5191 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond
jeeva86 wrote:
Oct 20th, 2009 8:42 pm
Has anyone rented in the US for underage drivers? There's two of us that are 23 and need to rent for 5 days. I can't seem to find a solid deal for this :!: :!:
Anyone have an answer to this question? I'm heading down to Palm Springs and need to know.
Heat @ 370+
× < >