Automotive

Best car seat to turn into an office chair?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2010 12:30 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 27, 2005
1271 posts
7 upvotes

Best car seat to turn into an office chair?

So my office chair cushion is toast.. I'm sitting on hard metal covered by fabric. Buying a new office chair is pricey so I'd thought I'd humour the idea of taking off office chair parts and mounting a car seat. Car seats have nice cushions and are meant to be sat on for a long period of time.

Now, which car seat do I get and is it mountable?

Choice between fabric or leather and older or newer car seat?

I like my TL's front seats, there are a few places that have front seats for sale for aroudn 200 bucks... cheaper than an office chair.

Should I avoid electronic seats since I can't move them?

any suggestions would be great.

I'm a big guy so the seat has to fit.
19 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
20276 posts
1685 upvotes
By most accounts on here, the Swedes have the most comfortable seats--Saab and Volvo. So if you're after comfort, those might be a good place to start looking.

As for mounting the seat and setting it up, well you're on your own there, lol. Well I mean hopefully you are good at fabricating metal parts to make your mount or know someone who is. Perhaps a google of "car seat into office chair" may bring up some "how to" articles?

Keep in mind that car seats, even the ones that aren't electric, are pretty heavy--you may have to remove the springs/tracks/adjusters from even a manual seat to keep the weight down.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 27, 2005
1271 posts
7 upvotes
I'm pretty sure I can make it work some how. Hrm.... any recommendation on what car/year i should be looking at? The junk yards around toronto seem to have a lot of car seats for sale for relatively cheap. 200 bucks... reuse my office chair casters and pneumatic seat adjustment.

As for how to mount, I'll have to see what it looks like under the seat. If anything I'll just reuse the bolts for the rail and make an H bracket to mount onto the old office chair. I'm thinking of getting a manual chair for the recline option. The office chair I have now has seat tilt, height adjustment, and recline adjustment. With the base mount I can keep the seat tilt and height adjust and have the seat handle the recline.

Office chairs are fairly heavy so a car seat can't be that bad.
Sep 1, 2005
613 posts
38 upvotes
Unless you are experienced with doing these type of modifications, its not worth it - it will take you lot of time, your better off buying a chair.
Nov 30, 2007
487 posts
63 upvotes
I've done several car seat to office chair conversions.
I did my first one with a BMW Recaro over 20 years ago.
I now have a pair made from Yonaka sport seats.
All you need is 2 pieces of 1/2 inch angle iron and a drill.
The only trick is positioning the seat that it balances properly so that you don't fall when leaning forward in the chair.
Aug 29, 2009
770 posts
50 upvotes
Brampton
STAPLES....go there lol :twisted:
Nov 30, 2007
487 posts
63 upvotes
Here you go, easy peasy.
It's amazing those with least knowledge are first to offer advise.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
20276 posts
1685 upvotes
anon1138 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2010 6:44 pm
Here you go, easy peasy.
It's amazing those with least knowledge are first to offer advise.
Hello and welcome to RFD! :D :lol:

BTW those pics are quite massive, 800x600 might be better...
Nov 30, 2007
487 posts
63 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
Oct 27th, 2010 10:53 pm
Hello and welcome to RFD! :D :lol:

BTW those pics are quite massive, 800x600 might be better...

Needed that size to get the detail.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
2562 posts
263 upvotes
car seats are more expensive and you sit in an office chair longer than a car. dumb. dumb. dumb.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 30, 2007
7982 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
anon1138 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2010 11:08 pm
Needed that size to get the detail.

just awesome.

i'm never happy with office chairs. i have a bad tailbone or something and sitting always hurts quick on bad chairs.

make me one =p
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 27, 2005
1271 posts
7 upvotes
sweet i knew someone would have car seat office chairs.

have you seen the ridiculous prices of some of those office chairs at staples?

a basic swivel with more than 2 adjustments is 300 + for a nice one.

You can get a car seat for 100-200 and mount it on the casters like the poster above.

I go through office chairs every 3 years, how often do you go through car seats?
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2007
1219 posts
82 upvotes
The Herman Miller Aeron chair is supposed to be one of the best, in terms of ergonomics, and likely longevity.

Here's an ebay listing of one, so you could see what it's like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Herman-Miller-Fully ... 19be08ec46

I would think that long-term, a fully adjustable chair would be better for you when working at a desk than a car seat.
Nov 30, 2007
487 posts
63 upvotes
belowzeros wrote:
Oct 28th, 2010 12:44 am
make me one =p

No problem, but shipping to Uranus will be a *****. :razz:
× < >