Credit Cards

Best card for overseas use? Is Tangerine still flexible on all EU countries?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2018 3:43 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 29, 2012
128 posts
17 upvotes
Trenton

Best card for overseas use? Is Tangerine still flexible on all EU countries?

I will be traveling/backpacking to Italy/Netherlands for 3 weeks. I have done a lot of research and narrowed it down to my 2 accounts. A Tangerine cheque account (funded only with travel $$) and a backup option (TD Debit Visas), emergency = Tangerine MC or TD Cashback MC.

Is Tangerine reliable on the Global ABM Network as it once was? I know in Italy I can use BNP Paribas banks as they are part of the Scotiabank Global ABM Network. Should I apply for a Scotiabank account (I leave on April 19th), and have this as a backup to my debit account? I just want to ensure I plan accordingly and would not want to be stuck having to make cash advances on credit cards, and transfer/paying off the money same day to save on the daily interest rates. I have heard some horror stories of a few customers who ran into issues in South America, and some in Europe as well
25 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2977 posts
858 upvotes
Global Village
With Tangerine increasing their foreign conversion fee to 2.5% for their MC look elsewhere. Check out the Amazon Visa instead.
All day I dream about sports
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17780 posts
2468 upvotes
GTA West
scoper wrote:
Apr 4th, 2017 10:10 pm
With Tangerine increasing their foreign conversion fee to 2.5% for their MC look elsewhere. Check out the Amazon Visa instead.
For European backpacking purposes, it would be better to get a VISA/MC debit and keep the CC for backup purposes only. This is because CCs are not as widely accepted in Europe.

Due to the Scotia Global ATM alliance, Tangerine chequing is still not a bad option due to avoiding ATM fees.
Tuition to the School of Life is not tax deductible.
Aug 2, 2013
5 posts
3 upvotes
Don't fully rely on the scotiabank global atm network to work. I tried three scotiabank atms in mexico in three separate cities, only one in mexico city worked, when I called, they were useless. After a google search, it is a pretty common issue apparently.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
5972 posts
383 upvotes
I spent two weeks in Italy and one week in the Netherlands last summer.

My amazon.ca visa worked for 95% of the transactions I needed to do in those two countries. Given the change of Tangerine's MC, the amazon.ca visa is also cheaper to use overseas, but I would still bring another credit card as a backup...maybe the Rogers Mastercard? I heard it has a good cash back rate for non-domestic currency transactions.

In terms of access to a bank account, you should be find with Tangerine and relying on the Scotiabank Global Alliance ATM system. I had to use two ATM's during my trip last summer and they worked with my Tangerine debit card without issue. Still, you should be avoiding withdrawing cash from ATM's when overseas, as the exchange rate you'll get with the amazon.ca visa will usually be better.

Enjoy your trip.
Sep 14, 2009
227 posts
54 upvotes
Vancouver
Octavius wrote:
Apr 4th, 2017 11:36 pm

My amazon.ca visa worked for 95% of the transactions I needed to do in those two countries. Given the change of Tangerine's MC, the amazon.ca visa is also cheaper to use overseas, but I would still bring another credit card as a backup...maybe the Rogers Mastercard? I heard it has a good cash back rate for non-domestic currency transactions.

In terms of access to a bank account, you should be find with Tangerine and relying on the Scotiabank Global Alliance ATM system. I had to use two ATM's during my trip last summer and they worked with my Tangerine debit card without issue. Still, you should be avoiding withdrawing cash from ATM's when overseas, as the exchange rate you'll get with the amazon.ca visa will usually be better.

Enjoy your trip.
Great info. Just got approved for the Amazon card before the lock a couple days ago and am a Tangerine client too.

Someone on RFD suggested loading extra funds onto the Amazon card, and using the Visa card rather than the Tangerine ATM card to get cash in Europe from an ATM as you will just be dinged $5 or 1%, so to withdraw $500, it is cheaper than even when using the Scotia network since you aren't incurring cash advance interest from preloading money on the Amazon card or exchange charges.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
5972 posts
383 upvotes
cardero wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 12:25 am
Great info. Just got approved for the Amazon card before the lock a couple days ago and am a Tangerine client too.

Someone on RFD suggested loading extra funds onto the Amazon card, and using the Visa card rather than the Tangerine ATM card to get cash in Europe from an ATM as you will just be dinged $5 or 1%, so to withdraw $500, it is cheaper than even when using the Scotia network since you aren't incurring cash advance interest from preloading money on the Amazon card or exchange charges.
True, but then what will you use for your everyday expenses?

You'd need two amazon visa's then....one for purchases, and one for cash-advance.
Feb 11, 2009
961 posts
219 upvotes
scoper wrote:
Apr 4th, 2017 10:10 pm
Amazon VISA no longer accepting applications Astonished Face
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2596 posts
700 upvotes
Montreal
Kantor's rate seems to be about the same as using a debit card at an ATM or possibly cheaper.

I checked yesterday for Japanese yen and the difference between XE.com and Kantor was about 1.5$ on an amount of 10000 yen.
Sep 14, 2009
227 posts
54 upvotes
Vancouver
Octavius wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 12:59 am

You'd need two amazon visa's then....one for purchases, and one for cash-advance.
D'oh. On to plan B.
Deal Addict
Apr 16, 2009
1195 posts
432 upvotes
Vancouver
Been in France/UK for the past 3 weeks and using the Marriott Chase for 95% of purchases, with Amazon as backup, and normal MBNA RWE as extra backup.

Used the Tangerine debit card multiple times to get out cash at Barclays/BNP Paribas as they are on the scotia network and have not incurred any fees with reasonable exchange rates.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2009
1263 posts
389 upvotes
Octavius wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 12:59 am

Not necessarily. Overpay by $550, take out $500 (€350) as soon as you get there. Then you can keep using the card the whole time for purchases unless you need more cash than that.

The key to avoiding interest is to always get back to a positive balance after any cash withdrawal. So if you need to make another withdrawal, just get online right after, check your balance, and overpay the full balance by a little bit.

Do always take backup cards if Amazon is your main card. They are a good deal, but they do get denied/blocked more often than other cards.
[OP]
Feb 29, 2012
128 posts
17 upvotes
Trenton
Octavius wrote:
Apr 4th, 2017 11:36 pm

Enjoy your trip.
Thanks all the advice, and to other posters! One question I had is you mention you get a good rate when using Amazon Visa, since i don't have this and rely on the Tangerine Debit card, would TD Visa Debit get better rates then Tangerine? As it works under the PLUS/Visa network, takes the exchange rate day of, and I believe may/may not charge a withdrawal fee depending if i use a VISA approved ATM?
Sep 14, 2009
227 posts
54 upvotes
Vancouver
Can you use the Scotiabank ATM Alliance partner's ATMs in countries other than their "home" country (such as using a BNP Paribus ATM machine in Switzerland and not restricted to only France)?

Switzerland and other countries in Europe aren't listed as having a bank in the Alliance and not sure if it goes by banks or only countries allowed to be used in. Thanks.
Dec 7, 2004
7 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Had planned on relying on this card for withdrawals on a 10+ month overseas trip. Two weeks in, just tried it in Ukraine at UkrSibbank (Paribas), part of their Global Alliance. ABM said there was a problem with my PIN. Called Tangerine, guy said it's sorted, wait 1-2 hours and it will work. Waited, tried again, didn't work, called Tangerine again. Lady informed me that, since I didn't call to let them know it would be used outside of Canada first, the card is locked and it can only be unlocked once I return to Canada.

I suggested to the representative that if A) you're making a selling point of the card's overseas use, and B) The card will automatically lock if you don't call them before going overseas, then they should have I giant red advisement appear on the screen, as you are signing up.

My experience, paired with reading the experiences of others, will be leading me to close my account with Tangerine.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)