Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 8, 2007
721 posts
126 upvotes
Oshawa

Best Cashback card to replace my Costco Capital One

Hey folks.. I am fed up with Capital One. There service is brutal. I will need to keep the card for Costco but I am looking for a new daily driver for everyday purchases.

I hit about $1000 cash back a year from Capital. Looking for the best option for mastercard or visa that will help me get the most cash back. Guessing here but hitting about $700-$800 a month if Gas, $1000+ a month on groceries and another $2-3k on other purchases and bills.

Any suggestions?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1304 posts
772 upvotes
Vancouver
Man, you sure have been losing out if you've been putting that kind of spending on that card. I'd get both of these:

• MBNA Rewards world elite, 2% on everything. $89/year. Use it at Costco and everywhere else except gas/groceries.
  • Meridian credit union cash back Visa Infinite. Use this instead of the MBNA at gas stations and grocery stores, get 4% At $2000/month - $99 anual fee, that's $381 more cash back you'd get than if you had used the MBNA for gas/groceries.

Use your Capital One Costco card at restaurants (3%) and nowhere else.

There's a cash back credit cards list here: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/list-eac ... d-2109598/
[OP]
Jun 8, 2007
721 posts
126 upvotes
Oshawa
I did not say I was smart, I just spend to much ;-)

Thanks for the direction.. Looking at the list now...

Is there better return opportunities for non-cashback cards? We have not traveled a lot in past but looking at more trip now as kids are a little older...

Thanks!!
Jul 8, 2013
163 posts
31 upvotes
Montreal
The Costco Capital One MC doesn't not give the full cashback on Costco Gas...
May 8, 2009
3297 posts
1047 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Kiraly wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 3:25 pm
Man, you sure have been losing out if you've been putting that kind of spending on that card. I'd get both of these:

• MBNA Rewards world elite, 2% on everything. $89/year. Use it at Costco and everywhere else except gas/groceries.
  • Meridian credit union cash back Visa Infinite. Use this instead of the MBNA at gas stations and grocery stores, get 4% At $2000/month - $99 anual fee, that's $381 more cash back you'd get than if you had used the MBNA for gas/groceries.

Use your Capital One Costco card at restaurants (3%) and nowhere else.

There's a cash back credit cards list here: list-each-banks-highest-cash-back-card-2109598/
Not a bad combo, but really worth keeping two cards with annual fee? I'd imagine the MBNA WE can work well as stand-alone, but if carrying two spenders, why not go Tangerine to cover 2 or 3 categories at 2% CB without annual fee?

Meridian looks good, some perks over the Scotia Momentum. TD wins on PAP. Since OP spends a lot, must also factor in how much coin is dropped on PAP, and TD includes roadside assistance (since OP shops at Costco, probably drives a car). If little money is spent on PAP (or Rx spending is high, and G&G spending is high), then Meridian is king.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1304 posts
772 upvotes
Vancouver
titaniumtux wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 8:55 pm
Not a bad combo, but really worth keeping two cards with annual fee? I'd imagine the MBNA WE can work well as stand-alone, but if carrying two spenders, why not go Tangerine to cover 2 or 3 categories at 2% CB without annual fee?
Definitely worth it for us. I did the math for our level of spending, and using the Tangerine card instead of either of the above two wouldn't have come close.
[OP]
Jun 8, 2007
721 posts
126 upvotes
Oshawa
2 cars on the go right now although one is being relegated to very lightly use in the near future. My spending estimates might be off a bit but we do try to put everything on the card and pay off in full each month. Road side would be nice. Travel insurance I am covered through work. I have never used the price increase of extended warrant of a card although I suppose I should try and take advantage of it.

I have to find some time to have a closer look at the cards. I am not a fan of the annual fees but if they pay for themselves I guess its worth it. I will break out a few bills and do some comparisons.

Thanks folks..

Any other suggestions?