None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1229 posts
593 upvotes
Ottawa ON

Best CC for Transaction Disputes - Post Your Best/Worst

It doesn't happen often where I need to dispute something however I do shop online a great deal and order items from overseas. Most of the items I order I am incredibly happy with, but there are rare cases where I am sent the incorrect item/no item at all/incorrect size/broken item and the seller refuses to resolve the issue or ignores the buyer after he/she has your money.

That being said, I found:

Best = Capital One -> Why? 5 minutes phone and I receive a credit in 2-3 business days after I explain the situation to the CSR and do a verbal questionnaire;

Worst = CIBC -> Why? They send you paperwork to fill out and the process goes on for weeks/months; attitude of CSR is that they are not on your side

I feel very safe when using Capital One however I worry that I will not be protected if something were to happen with my CIBC.

What about you guys? What's your best and worst?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
2304 posts
972 upvotes
I've only had two transaction disputes with credit card companies. Dealing with both PC Financial MasterCard (when Zoom airlines went bankrupt) and Capital One (when Wind kept charging me even after I called them to remove my credit card from their database and sold the phone & SIM) was excellent.

PC Financial asked for a confirmation number or ticket number, but otherwise they both promptly refunded me.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2014
1214 posts
625 upvotes
Montreal
Best = Capital One -> Done online, painless and very fast

Worst = TD -> Had to call many times, always a different informations, they never accepted to dispute the charge
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2063 posts
840 upvotes
Victoria
Chase was awesome when I got messed up in a taxi and didn't have documentation to back it up.

Royal Bank is not good.
Apr 15, 2007
274 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
MBNA requires that you write your dispute on the back of the statement and mail it in with supporting documents. The vendor mailed me the refund cheque a few weeks after I mailed in the dispute.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1708 posts
314 upvotes
I recently had my Amex card compromised. Shows a $44 Starbucks transaction, and I've never been to Starbucks.

Filed my first ever dispute with Amex 2 weeks ago. They will do an investigation which will take 6 to 8 weeks. Meanwhile the charge is suspended until they complete their investigation. Not sure why it takes so long as I told them this is an unauthorized charge, and they even sent me a new card to replace the old one. So far, not impressed with Amex.
Mar 31, 2013
396 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
MaxPower19 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2015 8:37 pm
Chase was awesome when I got messed up in a taxi and didn't have documentation to back it up.

Royal Bank is not good.
I had 2 issues with a RBC card and they handled both well.

1) A double charge and it took about 1 minute on the phone to handle it.
2) A whole bunch of fraud on my card that I didn't notice (it was still in the middle of billing cycle, I would have noticed the next week) and they called me to let me know about unusual activity. I logged into the online banking and told them which transactions were actually mine, they removed all the fraudulent ones, and they sent me a new card/number that day. By the time of my billing cycle date, only my actual charges remained.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2063 posts
840 upvotes
Victoria
K1Toronto wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2015 9:00 pm
I had 2 issues with a RBC card and they handled both well.

1) A double charge and it took about 1 minute on the phone to handle it.
2) A whole bunch of fraud on my card that I didn't notice (it was still in the middle of billing cycle, I would have noticed the next week) and they called me to let me know about unusual activity. I logged into the online banking and told them which transactions were actually mine, they removed all the fraudulent ones, and they sent me a new card/number that day. By the time of my billing cycle date, only my actual charges remained.
With all due respect, those are pretty cut-and-dry cases. In my situation, I've been a day or two late paying my bill and RBC is the only one that wouldn't forgive the interest charge, even when it was their fault because the bill came late.

AMEX credited me both times when I was late, and Chase actually reversed a charge when I didn't even have a receipt to prove I was overcharged the agreed-to amount.

Avoid RBC cards if you can.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4190 posts
1233 upvotes
American Express -- denied my transaction dispute since it related to a gift card (had an issue with it not being properly activated, but neither the issuer or store would take responsibility).
MBNA -- As someone mentioned, you need to mail or fax in the back of a statement and sign it. Kind of a ridiculous hassle...
Chase -- Asked me to send proof of my claims to an email address, then they would get back in touch with me.

Basically the only one that basically left me hanging entirely was American Express. The other 2 were a hassle, but eventually in my favor.
:arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd:
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
2953 posts
2352 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
That wasn't my experience with MBNA. I called into MBNA. I purchased a vacuum cleaner online which I didn't receive. The company claims they shipped it and kept sending me a tracking number that didn't work and refused to acknowledge this. I called MBNA, and they said that they would investigate and told me to be patient. The next day, they called and told me a refund has been processed.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
578 upvotes
Toronto
ben85deals wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2015 8:36 pm
Best = Capital One -> Done online, painless and very fast

Worst = TD -> Had to call many times, always a different informations, they never accepted to dispute the charge
+1 with Cap One. Glad to be back with them