Best Cellphone Company

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2018 11:34 pm
[OP]
Dec 24, 2005
392 posts
52 upvotes

Best Cellphone Company

Just curious what you feel is the best overall mobile company out there. Currently with Rogers as my wife needs it for business, but it costs a lot. It’s a share everything plan with 4 family members and we have 15gb a month. We rarely go over if ever, and she likes it because she’s out on the road and needs to reply to clients as soon as possible. She also would like the ease to do that in the USA if she’s there, but rarely is she there for more than a few hours. GPS helps too and she wouldn’t want to have a call fail or no reception. We do live in Hamilton and most of her work and travel is in major areas. The other 3 owners do not need much data. We are Premium + plan and something similar in content would be best.

Any suggestions? Would prefer to not be with Bell ever again.
20 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15024 posts
5556 upvotes
Oakville
How much are you paying for your Rogers plan? That would at least give us an idea of what you consider "expensive". And do you need to have a shared plan for all four lines? Or would you consider four separate lines? That'll determine what people recommend for you.

In terms of what I personally consider the "best" provider? That's going to vary depending on your needs. For me right now, Koodo is currently the best provider because they've got a solid network, the best phone deals, and I'm also on a ridiculous promo plan. If I was starting out fresh right now, I'd probably go with Public Mobile's "3G speed" plans, since they're one of the best values out there. But PM comes with their own not-insignificant downsides which may be a dealbreaker for many people.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Dec 4, 2017
262 posts
77 upvotes
How much is being paid monthly now, and what's the major source of data usage?

I am asking because, in my limited experience with getting people to audit their usage, it's seldom what they think it is. Most don't know that modern Android phones can break down data usage by app. It can be embarrassing.

Rogers' marketting is accomplished at selling shared plans at prices that exceed even their own inflated street rates for multiple individual plans. It's fear-based, pushing the purchase of what looks like a high total just in case someone needs it. The reality is that it increases the number of people whose usage can inadvertently blow the limit and either cut off everyone or lead to high overage charges.
Aug 18, 2018
434 posts
247 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
IanBrantford wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 5:25 pm
How much is being paid monthly now, and what's the major source of data usage?

I am asking because, in my limited experience with getting people to audit their usage, it's seldom what they think it is. Most don't know that modern Android phones can break down data usage by app. It can be embarrassing.
When I got my first smartphone about a year and half ago, I was so afraid of blowing the data cap I used wifi and airplane mode religiously. I think I managed something crazy like 350 MB the first month, and half of it was due to running speed tests. Face With Tears Of Joy

I know I'm in the extreme minority, but I always raise an eyebrow when I hear someone say they "need" 10GB of data a month.
GV/Hangouts + T-Mobile $10/2GB Simple Choice = Win
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2702 posts
1452 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
arkane wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 9:29 pm
When I got my first smartphone about a year and half ago, I was so afraid of blowing the data cap I used wifi and airplane mode religiously. I think I managed something crazy like 350 MB the first month, and half of it was due to running speed tests. Face With Tears Of Joy

I know I'm in the extreme minority, but I always raise an eyebrow when I hear someone say they "need" 10GB of data a month.
Well with the amount of data theft and privacy breaches, many ppl just don't trust public WiFi and if you read the terms and conditions when you agree to public WiFi, you give up quite a lot with no recourse so I pretty much fun everything on my data and home wifi.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Aug 18, 2018
434 posts
247 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
Oh I didn't mean public wifi, I just used wifi at home and at work, and did all the data heavy stuff while I was on wifi. Data was used mainly for google maps and checking email.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29096 posts
4213 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
arkane wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 10:22 pm
Oh I didn't mean public wifi, I just used wifi at home and at work, and did all the data heavy stuff while I was on wifi. Data was used mainly for google maps and checking email.
I have 10 gigs and I never use WiFi unless I’m at home. My phone averages 700 megabytes a month

If people stop watching videos on their phones, they’ll be fine.
Aug 18, 2018
434 posts
247 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
Lol do you get your plan for free? Because even at $50 that's a lot of money to waste for basically using no data.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15024 posts
5556 upvotes
Oakville
arkane wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 9:29 pm

I don't *need* loads of data. I can usually get by with under 6GB with my normal internet usage (depends how much time I spend on instagram, that's a big data hog, so is FB if there's lots of autoplaying videos and such, though you can turn that off). But to do that, I have to download local copies of the content I want to watch (either through Netflix or Plex), and that is EXTREMELY buggy. Having 16GB now means that I don't have to ever really worry about data usage at *all*. I could probably survive with 11 or 12, even with extreme usage, but since my only options were 6 (my base plan), 9 or 16 (with 3 or 10gb adons), 16GB was a pretty easy choice.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
4426 posts
663 upvotes
Montreal
Big 3 all suck unless you single out Zoomer despite it being a Rogers' subsidiary.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17134 posts
1456 upvotes
Woodbridge
Except Public Mobile, I've tried them all.

Fido > Rogers > Virgin Mobile > Bell > Koodo > Freedom Mobile > Telus
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15024 posts
5556 upvotes
Oakville
bembol wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 3:34 pm
Except Public Mobile, I've tried them all.

Fido > Rogers > Virgin Mobile > Bell > Koodo > Freedom Mobile > Telus
Yeah, this ranking is pretty useless without giving any kind of criteria upon which you're basing it. It's definitely not network quality (because Freedom isn't at the bottom), nor is it based on value (since Rogers is #2).
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17134 posts
1456 upvotes
Woodbridge
I didn't feel like writing an essay.

Base on Value and Customer Service.

Again this is base on my experience.

I feel Customer Service is more important than getting the cheapest or fastest. Fido overall is the best, I'm actually thinking of dumping Roger's too.

Fido has the best customer service, best value. Plans are cheaper, unlike Roger's they offered me $100 credit on my last two upgrades, reliable, offer the 5 extra hours, gotten a free Swiss Chalet meal with them.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29096 posts
4213 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
arkane wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 3:13 am
Lol do you get your plan for free? Because even at $50 that's a lot of money to waste for basically using no data.
It’s not free, it’s part of a corporate plan. I have yet to find a cheaper plan that offers the same features.
Aug 18, 2018
434 posts
247 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
Gee wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 2:18 am
It’s not free, it’s part of a corporate plan. I have yet to find a cheaper plan that offers the same features.
You lucky SOB, I'm jelly.