Personal Finance

Which is the best chequing account in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2009 6:00 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: Which is the best checking account in Canada?

• Total votes: 13. You have voted on this poll.
option 1

8%
option 2

31%
option 3

62%
13 replies
May 19, 2006
501 posts
67 upvotes
Depends .... if there are alot of credit unions where you go about your daily business then it's easier to be "ding-free"

But if you see CIBC branches and ATMs everywhere then PC Financial for sure ...

Here in Vancouver I would say its pretty close to even coverage.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
4169 posts
16 upvotes
yupkime wrote:
Aug 1st, 2009 3:59 am
Depends .... if there are alot of credit unions where you go about your daily business then it's easier to be "ding-free"

But if you see CIBC branches and ATMs everywhere then PC Financial for sure ...

Here in Vancouver I would say its pretty close to even coverage.
Actually, I'd give the edge to CIBC. It's so easy to find a 7-11 and they all seem to have CIBC ATMs in them.

Of course, the OP hasn't said what he means by "best". For example, if he wants branch service, Coast Capital is the only one that offers it of those three. If he's worried about online banking, I feel that PCF is better than Citizen's Bank, but I can't comment on Coast Capital's.
[OP]
Aug 11, 2007
261 posts
Canada
AllWheelDrift wrote:
Aug 1st, 2009 11:07 am
Actually, I'd give the edge to CIBC. It's so easy to find a 7-11 and they all seem to have CIBC ATMs in them.

Of course, the OP hasn't said what he means by "best". For example, if he wants branch service, Coast Capital is the only one that offers it of those three. If he's worried about online banking, I feel that PCF is better than Citizen's Bank, but I can't comment on Coast Capital's.
have you tried both pcf and citizens bank? why do you prefer pcf over citizens? im leaning more towards citizens..
Mar 23, 2004
38644 posts
4707 upvotes
Markham
blade007 wrote:
Aug 1st, 2009 12:12 pm
have you tried both pcf and citizens bank? why do you prefer pcf over citizens? im leaning more towards citizens..
they are both very close, i prefer pcf as there are moe cibc atms than exchange atms in GTA. PCF's online baking UI is much better than citizens, imo.
Apr 1, 2007
109 posts
2 upvotes
Since Option 1 is not available to anyone living outside of BC, this poll is pointless. You're essentially asking which is better, PCF or Citizens, and for the most part there is little difference. Where PCF has access to CIBC machines, Citizens doesn't ding you on international ATMs.

As has been stated many, many, many times before on this forum, the TD Select Service account is about as good as it gets in this country.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2528 posts
1581 upvotes
Winnipeg
I would go with Citizens - You can use any Credit Union on the Acculink or Exchange network (including HSBC and National Bank of Canada) FOR FREE..

Citizens is also alot easier to deal with on establishing cheque holds and their customer service is far better than PCF.

I created a thread on why I choose Citizens and RBC combo over TD Select Service....because I don't have 5000 just sitting around that I can not touch.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=771599
Feb 6, 2008
664 posts
19 upvotes
What's stopping you to use both PCF and Citizen's?
There is no monthly fee or a minimum balance.
You can keep both accounts open permanently and use them whenever you need them for specific purposes.

PCF has been enough for 99% of my everyday banking needs. I'm only using TD right now to take the $200 bonus. I'll probably close the account again after a year just like the iPod shuffle last time. Almost feel bad for them, but they are a huge bank and they make more money off of me.