• Apr 10th, 2012 1:08 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
31372 posts
2772 upvotes
Winnipeg
I think the question is irrelevant, just apply to all over Canada, and move there if you get hired. Even if you think a city is best for jobs you want, you shouldn't be moving there to look for jobs.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
499 upvotes
ThoughtPolice wrote:
Aug 20th, 2011 12:56 am
Wrong poster, dude

Sorry I didn't mean "you" as in "you" I just meant people in general.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3201 upvotes
Calgary
JK400 wrote:
Aug 17th, 2011 6:21 pm
You're going to look smart when your classmates all have job offers and you're standing there with none saying stuff like "B-b-b-ut Mark77....Nortel!!!"
The glut of ECE's in Canada, including Nortel and now RIMM layoffees, as well as repatriated Canadians from the collapsing US tech sector, is a matter of public record, and you should be absolutely ashamed of yourself in your belief that it is an issue specific to just a few individuals.
TodayHello wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 9:06 pm
...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3201 upvotes
Calgary
ThoughtPolice wrote:
Aug 18th, 2011 3:37 am
Getting off-topic... I think it's best if we just agree to keep an open mind about positions abroad that might be interesting.

I'm a student myself so my opinion is probably not worth much, but I usually hear that Alberta has more opportunities for engineers compared to the rest of Canada. And since Edmonton sucks, Calgary wins by default! :lol:

Petroleum, Mechanical, Chemical and Civil. If you're an EE, or god forbid, into Computers, forget about Alberta. For a while there, Alberta was making some pretty decent strides at building an ECE employment base, with the big Nortel expansion in Calgary, Novatel, even Intuit, Dell, and GE (Westronics/Harris) among other firms. But those companies are now mostly gone, driven out by the insane cost structure.

Even one of the darlings of the recent Calgary tech scene, SMART Technologies, is in quite a retreat mode. Heading a little further east, Saskatoon's Vecima Networks' sales have collapsed and they laid off a substantial number of ECE's and ECE techs.
TodayHello wrote:
...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3201 upvotes
Calgary
divx wrote:
Aug 20th, 2011 1:03 am
I think the question is irrelevant, just apply to all over Canada, and move there if you get hired. Even if you think a city is best for jobs you want, you shouldn't be moving there to look for jobs.

Good luck getting a response if you're not local. Engineering demand is pretty slack in Canada, and flying people around, while it does happen from time to time, for certain skillsets, isn't all that common for new grads anymore.
TodayHello wrote:
Sep 16, 2009
73 posts
4 upvotes
Electrical Engineers could also take on High/Medium Voltage as well as low voltage applications - if you want to get into PCB's and MOSFETs and all that jazz then yeah I dont think there are much opportunities here in Alberta for that. However if you get into the Industrial Power applications such as Transmission/Distribution Substation type of work then there are very lucrative opportunities however you would have to venture further north to Fort McMurray.
Aug 30, 2011
7 posts
1 upvote
MARKHAM
Mark77 wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2011 3:44 am
Good luck getting a response if you're not local. Engineering demand is pretty slack in Canada, and flying people around, while it does happen from time to time, for certain skillsets, isn't all that common for new grads anymore.

Is this only true with the smaller companies, or does this apply to the bigger companies as well?