Students

Best college for computer programming?

Jun 26, 2010
475 posts
55 upvotes
I've heard from various people that the York U CS program isn't very rigorous. If you can be able to get into UofT, I'd go with that over York U. Plus it seems you are really wedded to the math & theory aspects of CS ... that's even more reason to get into UofT as you will be exposed to leaders in the field.
Sep 2, 2013
36 posts
27 upvotes
DTscript wrote: Once again I find it the other way around, community colleges in general tend to be up to date with technology because their aim is to pump out graduates that are more hands-on oriented with relevant technology in the working force today. University however is more academic and theory oriented rather than hands-on. There's a reason why colleges mostly focus on things like Web/Desktop/Mobile/Database subjects and work with the likes of Java, C#, PHP, Javascript, SQL, etc. Because they expect their graduates to be able to know these things in the working force where they're commonly used. University on the other hand has a completely different approach, and it's a theory mathematical one in general where they expect you to go out of your way to learn the other stuff. To elaborate on this, I checked out the course descriptions for Waterloo Computer Science here:

https://cs.uwaterloo.ca/current/courses ... criptions/

It seems like most of the program revolves around Python, C++, C, Unix, Matlab, Functional programming, and a bit of Java. The approach is obvious, they want to pump out graduates that will go out there and create rather than maintain. You may say well that's certainly better and I agree, based on the book cover your average university grad is likely more knowledgeable than your average college grad. The problem is the majority of development jobs out there are not complex enough to require that kind of thinking, and a college learning is more than sufficient enough to get it done.

The same rule applies for University grads, if they don't make the effort to go out of their way to learn things they will not become successful in the workforce, and that involves thinking outside the box and simplifying their approach.
Very well said by DTScript. I totally agree.
Sep 2, 2013
36 posts
27 upvotes
ssharm02 wrote: damn this is so tight I cant make up my mind. I have narrowed it down to Computer science @ York U (I only have to take the core math and com science classes there) they gave me credits for the GE courses. And the Sheridan software development and network engineering program that DTscript posted.

Not liking the Seneca program at all, way too basic imo and not math at all. I dont like programs with zero math. I need to start in september, I am already so late!! >_<

DT your posts are very informative. Thank you

edit: I am wondering if i should bother with UofT Mississauga?
I am a computer programming student at Seneca and have almost finished the program. The program at Seneca is pretty good as it gives you exposure to different kind of programming languages. But if you prefer Sheridan, I guess that's okay too. One piece of advice that I want to tell you is to that no matter which school you go to, make sure you are in a co-op program. Your degree/diploma is only valuable if you are getting work experience from co-op.
Sep 30, 2012
305 posts
42 upvotes
Hamilton
JasonF wrote: I am a computer programming student at Seneca and have almost finished the program. The program at Seneca is pretty good as it gives you exposure to different kind of programming languages. But if you prefer Sheridan, I guess that's okay too. One piece of advice that I want to tell you is to that no matter which school you go to, make sure you are in a co-op program. Your degree/diploma is only valuable if you are getting work experience from co-op.
Completely agree, the bold part should be the most important key to making the decision.
Feb 5, 2011
188 posts
9 upvotes
ok thanks a lot guys

final word on senneca vs sheridan? the computer programming at senneca looks easy but it can be completed in 2 years instead of 3. What about sheridan? Is it a good college?

york and uoft don't have co-op right?
Sep 30, 2012
305 posts
42 upvotes
Hamilton
ssharm02 wrote: ok thanks a lot guys

final word on senneca vs sheridan? the computer programming at senneca looks easy but it can be completed in 2 years instead of 3. What about sheridan? Is it a good college?
I think most colleges in bigger towns of southern Ontario are sort of similar, so Seneca, Sheridan, Mohawk, Fansahw, Centennial, Humber, etc all probably have decent programs. Of course I can't speak for personal experience since I've never been to either Seneca nor Sheridan, but based on the course descriptions I kind of like what Sheridan is offering more.
york and uoft don't have co-op right?
I don't know about York but I don't think UofT has a coop program for their Computer Science program. If you're considering a University with a coop program why not look at Ryerson? I think that would be a great option.
Feb 5, 2011
188 posts
9 upvotes
yea the Sheridan program looks great. I looked at Ryerson, but I don't meet one of their requirements. I have calculus and advance function credits but not physics, chemistry or bio. they need one of the sciences :/
Jun 26, 2010
475 posts
55 upvotes
DTscript wrote: I think most colleges in bigger towns of southern Ontario are sort of similar, so Seneca, Sheridan, Mohawk, Fansahw, Centennial, Humber, etc all probably have decent programs. Of course I can't speak for personal experience since I've never been to either Seneca nor Sheridan, but based on the course descriptions I kind of like what Sheridan is offering more.

I don't know about York but I don't think UofT has a coop program for their Computer Science program. If you're considering a University with a coop program why not look at Ryerson? I think that would be a great option.
UofT has PEY. If you are truly serious about going into programming and are confident in your skills, then try to go to either Waterloo or UofT. Any other place and you are just limiting your options.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1501 upvotes
Montreal
If OP is looking for a challenge and wants the best of the best, while having the best chance at a job... Waterloo is the ONLY option. Otherwise, side jobs and projects is worth more than college / university a vs. B.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39292 posts
6324 upvotes
Winnipeg
Blanket_Man wrote: UofT has PEY. If you are truly serious about going into programming and are confident in your skills, then try to go to either Waterloo or UofT. Any other place and you are just limiting your options.
lots people ask about university options here, I've yet seen anyone with the caliber to goto either of those 2 school ask about it here
neverhaveiever wrote: If OP is looking for a challenge and wants the best of the best, while having the best chance at a job... Waterloo is the ONLY option. Otherwise, side jobs and projects is worth more than college / university a vs. B.
not an option for op
Feb 5, 2011
188 posts
9 upvotes
ok on second it is an option for me! Seriously thinking about applying to UofT and York again. I want a good life for myself after I am done. I am willing to work really hard. UofT ftw?
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39292 posts
6324 upvotes
Winnipeg
ssharm02 wrote: ok on second it is an option for me! Seriously thinking about applying to UofT and York again. I want a good life for myself after I am done. I am willing to work really hard. UofT ftw?
unfortunately for you that uw and ut would not accept anyone less than elite
Feb 5, 2011
188 posts
9 upvotes
I have a friend, he transferred from sheridan to uoft mississauga and I don't consider him ellite. Maybe you are talking about the St George campus?
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39292 posts
6324 upvotes
Winnipeg
ssharm02 wrote: I have a friend, he transferred from sheridan to uoft mississauga and I don't consider him ellite. Maybe you are talking about the St George campus?
i am, sorry to burst your bubble, but i just saved you the application fee to apply, cause you gonna get rejected
Feb 5, 2011
188 posts
9 upvotes
why is it tough though? I am looking for a challenge! Is it cause of the math or a heavy course load?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3633 posts
444 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
ssharm02 wrote: why is it tough though? I am looking for a challenge! Is it cause of the math or a heavy course load?
Basic Calculus + basic Probability with some Stats + Linear Algebra + Discrete Maths and Proofs.

At the same time you'll be taking programming courses in Java, C and python. Projects can range from simple object animation to entire server/client processes. The digital logic course is mandatory, so you'll learn some basic CE stuff like logic gates, flip-flops, multiplexers, finite state machines and some assembly language.

This all happens within your first 2 years in UofT CS. Afterwards you will branch out into more advanced topics such as AI, programming logic, operating systems, networking theory, advanced algorithms, etc.
Feb 5, 2011
188 posts
9 upvotes
sounds really good, I want to take it ^_^

but sadly i don't have the money, my age is against me and too much stress due to family :(
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39292 posts
6324 upvotes
Winnipeg
loserga wrote: Basic Calculus + basic Probability with some Stats + Linear Algebra + Discrete Maths and Proofs.

At the same time you'll be taking programming courses in Java, C and python. Projects can range from simple object animation to entire server/client processes. The digital logic course is mandatory, so you'll learn some basic CE stuff like logic gates, flip-flops, multiplexers, finite state machines and some assembly language.

This all happens within your first 2 years in UofT CS. Afterwards you will branch out into more advanced topics such as AI, programming logic, operating systems, networking theory, advanced algorithms, etc.
real time operating system crushes the souls of people, too bad op won't make it there to feel the true meaning of stress

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)