Students

Best college for computer programming?

[OP]
Feb 5, 2011
185 posts
8 upvotes
ok on second it is an option for me! Seriously thinking about applying to UofT and York again. I want a good life for myself after I am done. I am willing to work really hard. UofT ftw?
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
29371 posts
2227 upvotes
Winnipeg
ssharm02 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2015 4:15 pm
ok on second it is an option for me! Seriously thinking about applying to UofT and York again. I want a good life for myself after I am done. I am willing to work really hard. UofT ftw?
unfortunately for you that uw and ut would not accept anyone less than elite
[OP]
Feb 5, 2011
185 posts
8 upvotes
I have a friend, he transferred from sheridan to uoft mississauga and I don't consider him ellite. Maybe you are talking about the St George campus?
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
29371 posts
2227 upvotes
Winnipeg
ssharm02 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2015 4:29 pm
I have a friend, he transferred from sheridan to uoft mississauga and I don't consider him ellite. Maybe you are talking about the St George campus?
i am, sorry to burst your bubble, but i just saved you the application fee to apply, cause you gonna get rejected
Nov 24, 2011
278 posts
73 upvotes
Mississauga
ssharm02 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2015 5:19 pm
I just looked at the admission requirements - all grade 12 maths and english at mid 70's
http://www.utm.utoronto.ca/math-cs-stat ... quirements

is this considered elite? Not going to apply, just curious.
UTM should be a lot easier to get into. The program's still very tough, though. Very few graduate from the CS program each year.
[OP]
Feb 5, 2011
185 posts
8 upvotes
why is it tough though? I am looking for a challenge! Is it cause of the math or a heavy course load?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2864 posts
307 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
ssharm02 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2015 6:39 pm
why is it tough though? I am looking for a challenge! Is it cause of the math or a heavy course load?
Basic Calculus + basic Probability with some Stats + Linear Algebra + Discrete Maths and Proofs.

At the same time you'll be taking programming courses in Java, C and python. Projects can range from simple object animation to entire server/client processes. The digital logic course is mandatory, so you'll learn some basic CE stuff like logic gates, flip-flops, multiplexers, finite state machines and some assembly language.

This all happens within your first 2 years in UofT CS. Afterwards you will branch out into more advanced topics such as AI, programming logic, operating systems, networking theory, advanced algorithms, etc.
[OP]
Feb 5, 2011
185 posts
8 upvotes
sounds really good, I want to take it ^_^

but sadly i don't have the money, my age is against me and too much stress due to family :(
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
29371 posts
2227 upvotes
Winnipeg
loserga wrote:
Apr 29th, 2015 10:08 am
Basic Calculus + basic Probability with some Stats + Linear Algebra + Discrete Maths and Proofs.

At the same time you'll be taking programming courses in Java, C and python. Projects can range from simple object animation to entire server/client processes. The digital logic course is mandatory, so you'll learn some basic CE stuff like logic gates, flip-flops, multiplexers, finite state machines and some assembly language.

This all happens within your first 2 years in UofT CS. Afterwards you will branch out into more advanced topics such as AI, programming logic, operating systems, networking theory, advanced algorithms, etc.
real time operating system crushes the souls of people, too bad op won't make it there to feel the true meaning of stress
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4915 posts
907 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ssharm02 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2015 10:24 am

but sadly i don't have the money, my age is against me and too much stress due to family :(
but your dad's a lawyer
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2864 posts
307 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
ssharm02 wrote:

It's not for the faint of heart. If you can't commit your own time to learn about new technologies and figure out how the things you learn actually have anything to do with each other then you may as well just go for a diploma and do certifications to maintain your skill relevance.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1496 posts
61 upvotes
ssharm02 wrote:

Its a chicken and an egg situation. You don't have the education to get a good job. You don't have a good job to pay for education. Well good luck with your stress. If you can't figure this first step, honestly I don't know you are going to survive when assignments and test start coming all at once.
...life is nothing more than a journey through the consequences of our actions...

Kingsway Image Instagram || Gallery
[OP]
Feb 5, 2011
185 posts
8 upvotes
yesstyle wrote:
Apr 29th, 2015 10:39 am
but your dad's a lawyer
we don't have a good relationship...

well thanks for the input everyone. I will just go to Sherdian and keep programming on my own using various books and internet resources. Time to start a github account!
loserga wrote:
Apr 29th, 2015 11:01 am
It's not for the faint of heart. If you can't commit your own time to learn about new technologies and figure out how the things you learn actually have anything to do with each other then you may as well just go for a diploma and do certifications to maintain your skill relevance.
any particular certifications I should keep in mind for the future?
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1877 posts
122 upvotes
ssharm02 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2015 12:03 pm
we don't have a good relationship...

well thanks for the input everyone. I will just go to Sherdian and keep programming on my own using various books and internet resources. Time to start a github account!

any particular certifications I should keep in mind for the future?
I am sure if you mention you want to go to university he might help. He's a lawyer so he understand the value box education. At anyrate never hurts to try.

As you aren't a parent you wouldn't understand just exactly what you mean to your parents. You wouldn't until you have been through the effort to bring a child from a lump that cries every few hours for milk and make a nice surprise for you down under, to someone who comes running up to you when you get home calling out dad.

I am sure if you ask your dad will help you out if you really mean to work hard at school.