Students

Best college for computer programming?

Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7859 posts
2839 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ssharm02 wrote: sounds really good, I want to take it ^_^

but sadly i don't have the money, my age is against me and too much stress due to family :(
but your dad's a lawyer
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3633 posts
444 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL

but sadly i don't have the money, my age is against me and too much stress due to family :(
It's not for the faint of heart. If you can't commit your own time to learn about new technologies and figure out how the things you learn actually have anything to do with each other then you may as well just go for a diploma and do certifications to maintain your skill relevance.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1584 posts
104 upvotes

Its a chicken and an egg situation. You don't have the education to get a good job. You don't have a good job to pay for education. Well good luck with your stress. If you can't figure this first step, honestly I don't know you are going to survive when assignments and test start coming all at once.
...life is nothing more than a journey through the consequences of our actions...

Kingsway Image Instagram || Gallery
Feb 5, 2011
188 posts
9 upvotes
yesstyle wrote: but your dad's a lawyer
we don't have a good relationship...

well thanks for the input everyone. I will just go to Sherdian and keep programming on my own using various books and internet resources. Time to start a github account!
loserga wrote: It's not for the faint of heart. If you can't commit your own time to learn about new technologies and figure out how the things you learn actually have anything to do with each other then you may as well just go for a diploma and do certifications to maintain your skill relevance.
any particular certifications I should keep in mind for the future?
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1880 posts
124 upvotes
ssharm02 wrote: we don't have a good relationship...

well thanks for the input everyone. I will just go to Sherdian and keep programming on my own using various books and internet resources. Time to start a github account!

any particular certifications I should keep in mind for the future?
I am sure if you mention you want to go to university he might help. He's a lawyer so he understand the value box education. At anyrate never hurts to try.

As you aren't a parent you wouldn't understand just exactly what you mean to your parents. You wouldn't until you have been through the effort to bring a child from a lump that cries every few hours for milk and make a nice surprise for you down under, to someone who comes running up to you when you get home calling out dad.

I am sure if you ask your dad will help you out if you really mean to work hard at school.
Jun 26, 2010
475 posts
55 upvotes
divx wrote: real time operating system crushes the souls of people, too bad op won't make it there to feel the true meaning of stress
I don't know what your deal is but I feel like you are not really offering anything of substance in this thread. Provide the facts and let OP decide for himself / herself. All this negative talk is not cool, setting OPs actual capabilities aside from everything.
Feb 5, 2011
188 posts
9 upvotes
may 1 today, got my tax $$$. is it too late to apply to universities?
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4797 posts
239 upvotes
Austin/Markham
University has several advantages because it gets you a real degree that's recognized internationally. If you want to teach English in Korea or immigrate to UK, they count having a degree towards those goals. Going the college option shuts out future endeavors.

Let's say in the future you decide to change careers, to be an IP lawyer, you HAVE TO have a engineering degree. A Sheridan college diploma won't cut it. Just some things to think about. Having a degree you can do college jobs, but not the other way around. Do your due diligence when thinking about your future.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39293 posts
6325 upvotes
Winnipeg
Blanket_Man wrote: I don't know what your deal is but I feel like you are not really offering anything of substance in this thread. Provide the facts and let OP decide for himself / herself. All this negative talk is not cool, setting OPs actual capabilities aside from everything.
you sound as if i'm pulling these out of my a$$, i have friends who is in cs and heard from various sources. These info are actually quite valuable as it gives op an indication of the current industry expectations and the caliber of his competition. Through out the course of my degree, I found out about many things I wish I found out sooner, if someone could have told me...
Jun 26, 2010
475 posts
55 upvotes
divx wrote: you sound as if i'm pulling these out of my a$$, i have friends who is in cs and heard from various sources. These info are actually quite valuable as it gives op an indication of the current industry expectations and the caliber of his competition. Through out the course of my degree, I found out about many things I wish I found out sooner, if someone could have told me...
Fair enough. But you could really work on how you present facts dude. It just seemed like you were trying to poo-poo every comment that was being made on this thread.
Banned
Nov 12, 2013
927 posts
209 upvotes
Iceland
Waterloo, you'd be silly to go anywhere else.
"Between my salary and the office supplies I pilfer, I'm making 6 figures."
Medicine1T4 wrote: oh that's just a username............... im in grade 12
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4351 upvotes
ssharm02 wrote: may 1 today, got my tax $$$. is it too late to apply to universities?
Yes, too late for most universities. uOttawa is taking applications until June 1, 2015. Their Co-Op program seems pretty good.
Jan 8, 2019
113 posts
23 upvotes
Hi, I know this thread is old....but what is the update regarding the OP @ssharm02 choice of Sheridan Comp - Sys Analyst choice ? Did you finish this program ? What is your review of the diploma and how were you able to benefit from it ? Any advice, as i am also planning to start, but conflicted between which colleges and programs to choose in this field. Thx
Sep 29, 2008
965 posts
200 upvotes
Mississauga
You don't need to goto Waterloo or U of T for CS. If you are half competent, any Canadian school will do, they all have decent CS programs. FWIW I got an internship at IBM going to a mediocre school and will be starting at Amazon this coming fall. Average GPA and a couple of side projects was all that I needed, plus some interview prep.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1834 posts
279 upvotes
motime wrote: You don't need to goto Waterloo or U of T for CS. If you are half competent, any Canadian school will do, they all have decent CS programs. FWIW I got an internship at IBM going to a mediocre school and will be starting at Amazon this coming fall. Average GPA and a couple of side projects was all that I needed, plus some interview prep.
What does half competent mean?

Posters may want to read this thread, this also.
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Jun 6, 2018
105 posts
50 upvotes
When considering where to go, take some time to research the curiculum.
I initially thought that queens or Waterloo was the direction to go but after an open house at university of Ontario (uoit) , I am convinced they help build needed skill sets.
Their game development program not only is hands on in programming games utilizing different languages in the various years of study but also teaches the psychology behind an engaging game.
The program has only been running for about 10 years but the positions held by their alumni in various companies is quite impressive.
However that said. No matter what industry one chooses, one's motivation to be the best and learn will help in standing out from all that apply.