Students

Best college for computer programming?

Jun 26, 2010
475 posts
53 upvotes
divx wrote:
Apr 29th, 2015 10:39 am
real time operating system crushes the souls of people, too bad op won't make it there to feel the true meaning of stress
I don't know what your deal is but I feel like you are not really offering anything of substance in this thread. Provide the facts and let OP decide for himself / herself. All this negative talk is not cool, setting OPs actual capabilities aside from everything.
[OP]
Feb 5, 2011
186 posts
8 upvotes
may 1 today, got my tax $$$. is it too late to apply to universities?
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4511 posts
161 upvotes
Austin/Markham
University has several advantages because it gets you a real degree that's recognized internationally. If you want to teach English in Korea or immigrate to UK, they count having a degree towards those goals. Going the college option shuts out future endeavors.

Let's say in the future you decide to change careers, to be an IP lawyer, you HAVE TO have a engineering degree. A Sheridan college diploma won't cut it. Just some things to think about. Having a degree you can do college jobs, but not the other way around. Do your due diligence when thinking about your future.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
31108 posts
2700 upvotes
Winnipeg
Blanket_Man wrote:
Apr 30th, 2015 11:37 pm
I don't know what your deal is but I feel like you are not really offering anything of substance in this thread. Provide the facts and let OP decide for himself / herself. All this negative talk is not cool, setting OPs actual capabilities aside from everything.
you sound as if i'm pulling these out of my a$$, i have friends who is in cs and heard from various sources. These info are actually quite valuable as it gives op an indication of the current industry expectations and the caliber of his competition. Through out the course of my degree, I found out about many things I wish I found out sooner, if someone could have told me...
Jun 26, 2010
475 posts
53 upvotes
divx wrote:
May 2nd, 2015 1:41 pm
you sound as if i'm pulling these out of my a$$, i have friends who is in cs and heard from various sources. These info are actually quite valuable as it gives op an indication of the current industry expectations and the caliber of his competition. Through out the course of my degree, I found out about many things I wish I found out sooner, if someone could have told me...
Fair enough. But you could really work on how you present facts dude. It just seemed like you were trying to poo-poo every comment that was being made on this thread.
Banned
Nov 12, 2013
927 posts
208 upvotes
Iceland
Waterloo, you'd be silly to go anywhere else.
"Between my salary and the office supplies I pilfer, I'm making 6 figures."
Medicine1T4 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2014 2:48 am
oh that's just a username............... im in grade 12
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5421 posts
3287 upvotes
ssharm02 wrote:
May 1st, 2015 4:57 pm
may 1 today, got my tax $$$. is it too late to apply to universities?
Yes, too late for most universities. uOttawa is taking applications until June 1, 2015. Their Co-Op program seems pretty good.
Jan 8, 2019
1 posts
Hi, I know this thread is old....but what is the update regarding the OP @ssharm02 choice of Sheridan Comp - Sys Analyst choice ? Did you finish this program ? What is your review of the diploma and how were you able to benefit from it ? Any advice, as i am also planning to start, but conflicted between which colleges and programs to choose in this field. Thx
Sep 29, 2008
794 posts
135 upvotes
Mississauga
You don't need to goto Waterloo or U of T for CS. If you are half competent, any Canadian school will do, they all have decent CS programs. FWIW I got an internship at IBM going to a mediocre school and will be starting at Amazon this coming fall. Average GPA and a couple of side projects was all that I needed, plus some interview prep.
Mar 6, 2015
386 posts
24 upvotes
motime wrote:
Apr 9th, 2019 3:43 pm
You don't need to goto Waterloo or U of T for CS. If you are half competent, any Canadian school will do, they all have decent CS programs. FWIW I got an internship at IBM going to a mediocre school and will be starting at Amazon this coming fall. Average GPA and a couple of side projects was all that I needed, plus some interview prep.
What does half competent mean?

Posters may want to read this thread, this also.
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Jun 6, 2018
62 posts
20 upvotes
When considering where to go, take some time to research the curiculum.
I initially thought that queens or Waterloo was the direction to go but after an open house at university of Ontario (uoit) , I am convinced they help build needed skill sets.
Their game development program not only is hands on in programming games utilizing different languages in the various years of study but also teaches the psychology behind an engaging game.
The program has only been running for about 10 years but the positions held by their alumni in various companies is quite impressive.
However that said. No matter what industry one chooses, one's motivation to be the best and learn will help in standing out from all that apply.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)