Cell Phones

Best contract iPhone X deal or any other phone

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2018 11:48 am
Jun 20, 2018
131 posts
14 upvotes

Best contract iPhone X deal or any other phone

I am planning to get a contract phone and want a good deal on any network as long as it's not that expensive.
I looked at Freedom they are giving Samsung S9+ for free on $75 month.
Would like to know any better deals out there or something relevant for iPhone X.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22160 posts
10326 upvotes
Toronto
Have you approached your current carrier's loyalty department for a better deal?

For new customers, I don't think there is any carrier that can match Freedom prices at the moment.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
Freedom is offering great deals because their network is *still* not usable for a lot of people.

IMO, best deals are still Koodo's Quebec plans (which anybody can get, but require jumping through a few hoops).
Jun 20, 2018
131 posts
14 upvotes
wearysky wrote: Freedom is offering great deals because their network is *still* not usable for a lot of people.

IMO, best deals are still Koodo's Quebec plans (which anybody can get, but require jumping through a few hoops).
How can I get one? I am based out of Toronto.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
nicotinebar wrote: but thats for a plan how can I get a phone with this plan? and its an old thred is it still possible to switch the plan from self service?
When you sign up for the initial Ontario plan with a throwaway number (which you have to do first, the odds of getting a QC number on the spot are basically zero), that's when you get the phone. Then all the self service switching happens after you get home. The loophole is still there as far as I know, lots of folks still doing it round these parts. If they turned it off, you'd definitely hear about it.

Note that to change your number to a QC number in self service, you have to go to Self Serve->Mobile Services->Manage Your Phone Number->Transfer Your Phone Number (if you pick "find a new number" it'll only let you pick Ontario)->And then change the province to Quebec.

Oh, and don't forget to find somebody that's already on Koodo (they're pretty easy to find) to get a referral, if you decide to go with them. You'll also get a $50 bill credit.
Jun 20, 2018
131 posts
14 upvotes
wearysky wrote: When you sign up for the initial Ontario plan with a throwaway number (which you have to do first, the odds of getting a QC number on the spot are basically zero), that's when you get the phone. Then all the self service switching happens after you get home. The loophole is still there as far as I know, lots of folks still doing it round these parts. If they turned it off, you'd definitely hear about it.

Note that to change your number to a QC number in self service, you have to go to Self Serve->Mobile Services->Manage Your Phone Number->Transfer Your Phone Number (if you pick "find a new number" it'll only let you pick Ontario)->And then change the province to Quebec.

Oh, and don't forget to find somebody that's already on Koodo (they're pretty easy to find) to get a referral, if you decide to go with them. You'll also get a $50 bill credit.
What I understood is,
1) Get a contract phone plan first for ON (if I want an iPhone then I pay upfront cost of $400 which I can't skip? or is it?)
2) Change my number to an OC number from Self Serve and change my plan that I got initially with the phone?

Is this what it looks like? I am new here so trying to understand this process.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
nicotinebar wrote: What I understood is,
1) Get a contract phone plan first for ON (if I want an iPhone then I pay upfront cost of $400 which I can't skip? or is it?)
2) Change my number to an OC number from Self Serve and change my plan that I got initially with the phone?

Is this what it looks like? I am new here so trying to understand this process.
That's pretty much the gist of it, yes. Pick the phone you want, pay the upfront cost (no way around it, pick the tab that you want - the iPhone X at $400 is on tab extra large, so you'll be paying an extra $30/month on your monthly bill for 24 months to pay off the rest of the balance, which is $200 off retail, not a bad deal), switch your number to QC in self serve, then change your plan to a QC plan in self serve, then port your number in. IMO, the S9+ at $330 on tab large (so only $20/month for 24 months) is a better deal than the iPhone X, but if you really want the X, you gotta pay to play.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)