PC & Video Games

Best Controller For PC Gaming

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 6th, 2017 12:06 am
May 9, 2007
771 posts
195 upvotes
I am going to name a controller that nobody here mentioned... the Steam Controller! It's the ultimate PC controller.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2011
1910 posts
1281 upvotes
Montreal
Bryson wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 12:36 pm
I am going to name a controller that nobody here mentioned... the Steam Controller! It's the ultimate PC controller.
It has been mentioned. It's versatile, it's good for games that don't have official controller support. But for the ones that do, especially the ones that need the right analog stick, an Xbox controller is simply better. The touchpad emulating an analog stick just isn't as good as an actual analog stick.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5079 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
kevindurant1 wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 12:45 am
I tried plugging in my PS4 controller and played FIFA 17. It sucks.

Anyone here play sports games and FPS with the xbox controllers?. If so how was it and which one is better?. 360 or Xbox one?.
What was wrong with the PS4 controller? I've been playing FIFA 17 with a 360 controller lately and it works fine. I find the design of the X1 controller kind of cramped and the shoulder buttons feel awkward to me so I stick with the 360 controller in the rare occasions the Steam Controller isn't supported
clee290 wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 1:33 pm
But for the ones that do, especially the ones that need the right analog stick, an Xbox controller is simply better. The touchpad emulating an analog stick just isn't as good as an actual analog stick.
I completely disagree with this and the SC is leaps and bounds better for games that use right analog aim and camera control. You shouldn't be using the mode that emulates an analog stick which obviously sucks, rather the "Mouse joystick" mode which when combined with a low sensitivity gyro is far more accurate and snappy than analog stick aim. Neither is a replacement for KB/M in competitive shooters, but if you just want to sit back in your couch and play a single player FPS or action game with a controller it's far better than an a dual analog pad once you configure it properly. The main thing it's not good for is d-pad based games

Here's a very good video that explains my point much better
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2011
1910 posts
1281 upvotes
Montreal
Yea, it could be that I didn't have it configured in the best way. I was just going by my experience when trying to use it in NBA that relies heavily on the right analog stick for dribble moves and shooting. It just didn't feel good and I didn't see a reason to force myself to use it when my Xbox controller is right there :P

I'll watch that video a little later. Maybe if I have a better configuration, it'll get more use.
May 9, 2007
771 posts
195 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 2:59 pm
What was wrong with the PS4 controller? I've been playing FIFA 17 with a 360 controller lately and it works fine. I find the design of the X1 controller kind of cramped and the shoulder buttons feel awkward to me so I stick with the 360 controller in the rare occasions the Steam Controller isn't supported
I swear to heaven that the X1 controller is the worst controller ever created. I honestly don't think they could design a worst controller if they tried. It is so bad that I actually thought about boxing up my X1 and bringing it back to the store within 5 seconds of holding the controller. I am not even exaggerating here.

I came very very close to buying a Cronusmaz or the other adapter which the name escapes me atm which lets you use an xbox 360 controller with an xbox one console. I've since then gotten used to it and just kind of put up with it, I can't believe that people spend $200 on an elite controller just to be able to enjoy the damn console especially since elite controller still has the same issues, namely the awkward shape and awkward ass triggers! It's like MS wants us to keep spending money to fix their mistakes! First with the elite controller and now with the X1X.

Honestly I don't know what will happen with Xbox next gen console but I really hope they change the design. It is pretty much universally agreed by every gamer that the Xbox 360 controller is the best controller ever created that it even became the defacto PC controller. I don't know why they went and changed it!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5079 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
clee290 wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 4:53 pm
I was just going by my experience when trying to use it in NBA that relies heavily on the right analog stick for dribble moves and shooting. It just didn't feel good and I didn't see a reason to force myself to use it when my Xbox controller is right there :P
For sure it would suck for a game like NBA and other sports game like FIFA, Skate, NHL etc where they use the right analog stick as a "trick stick" because they developed those unique gameplay mechanics for an analog stick. For games where the right analog stick is just standard cursor aim or camera controls in shooters, action games, RPGs and so forth, the Steam Controller is way better.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5079 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 6:23 pm
I swear to heaven that the X1 controller is the worst controller ever created. I honestly don't think they could design a worst controller if they tried. It is so bad that I actually thought about boxing up my X1 and bringing it back to the store within 5 seconds of holding the controller. I am not even exaggerating here.

I came very very close to buying a Cronusmaz or the other adapter which the name escapes me atm which lets you use an xbox 360 controller with an xbox one console. I've since then gotten used to it and just kind of put up with it, I can't believe that people spend $200 on an elite controller just to be able to enjoy the damn console especially since elite controller still has the same issues, namely the awkward shape and awkward ass triggers! It's like MS wants us to keep spending money to fix their mistakes! First with the elite controller and now with the X1X.

Honestly I don't know what will happen with Xbox next gen console but I really hope they change the design. It is pretty much universally agreed by every gamer that the Xbox 360 controller is the best controller ever created that it even became the defacto PC controller. I don't know why they went and changed it!
I don't think it's a terrible controller it's just not an improvement over the 360 pad in any way except maybe the dpad, but I don't play dpad heavy games enough for that improvement to be worth the other setbacks. It's like they just changed it for the sake of change without a real idea of how to actually improve the comfort and feel of it

I think the PlayStation controller is in need of a redesign too. The DS4 is a well built controller and it works, but that side to side analog layout is going on 18 years old now and it always feels awkward and dated to me after I've been spending time with the 360 or Steam Controller
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7014 posts
219 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 2:59 pm
It seems like the 360 controller is supported by FIFA 17 and the PS4 one is not. Its response time is not consistent. I dont have time to tinker with DS4windows just for that game.

I have windows 10 and from what I read so far the 360 would be the best as far as compatibility goes.

I used the 360 controller for years so im pretty used to it.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8057 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 12:36 pm
I had it, and returned it as I thought it was absolutely horrible.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1354 posts
550 upvotes
Hamilton
Mouse and keyboard forever, even in rocket league.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
1332 posts
317 upvotes
Aurora
There's a new version of the Xbox One Wireless Adapter being released 1/31/2018, which is 66% smaller than the original:
http://www.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-one/acce ... er-windows

I kept waiting for the first one to go on sale, but it never did, so I guess I'll get version 2 (although now I'm used to playing w/ USB cables).