Students

Best course /degree for highest paying salary/profession

Jul 31, 2017
297 posts
76 upvotes
Eragon wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 2:23 pm
You want to reach the sunshine list as a public sector employee? You need a degree, luck, and work your way up from the bottom. That is how government is structured. Nobody enters the government making 200k off the bat. These people have been there for decades.

I'm a college prof and know some people in administration at my work who were hired into their positions and almost immediately hit the SL but they are the exception rather than the rule.

You want to go into high-level finance, management consulting, asset management, hedge funds, investment banking, etc.? You need a degree, preferably a business degree from a top school like Queen's or Western Ivey, and you need to hustle, network, and build your experience. Simply doing a business program in college is not going to make you a manager at Goldman Sachs or McKinsey. Business cares about prestige far more than any other career out there, and your credentials matter. So ask yourself - do I have the ability to get accepted into these programs to begin with? And if I am lucky enough to get accepted into any of these programs, will I be able to compete in a class of strong peers who are likely in the top 10-25% of Canadians in academics alone?

Strangely enough, I know the head of asset management at Scotia McLeaod and he went to Windsor of all places. But again, the exception rather than the rule.
Jul 31, 2017
297 posts
76 upvotes
MissingHoursInPaystub wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 3:50 pm
Eragon wrote: There are immense barriers to entry into these professions via the Canadian education system, which I am glad for, personally, because my legal education was stellar and I was surrounded by the cream of the crop in law school (I went to Osgoode Hall).

Look what happened to you , now you are here wasting your time on this forum writing for possibly an international student,immigrant & child.
Shouldn't you be busy with your high profile law career if you were with cream of the crop instead of spending time on a forum for cheap deals.
Does your cream of crop friends in the law school know what you are upto now.
Just because you failed in life doesn't mean everybody else will.
After all your law school years at least you got designated as god status by Brown Thug. Talk about F*** the law !

Okay I hear you loud & clear - lets say shi**y med schools wont accept me.
What about law schools ? If not law schools whats the next best option ?
Y'all need to stop being salty about whether I can make it or not. Plz focus on naming a degree & profession so that a special snowflake somewhere else reading this forum will get ideas to decide his/her career path.

Sweet Jebus, you really need to grab an effing clue.

Someone with an attitude like yours will not be successful, regardless of career.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
3005 posts
313 upvotes
If your goal is no more than one degree and then $80k, probably the best balance between the time to $80k and probability (i.e.no guarantee) of hitting $80k is basic undergrad (arts or sciences) and then sales - technical sales, pharmaceutical sales, investment advisor etc.
Mar 6, 2015
329 posts
20 upvotes
SkynyrdsInyrds wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 9:39 pm
I'm a college prof.
MikeATtrentu wrote:
Apr 15th, 2018 8:44 am
Hi - I work at Trent University.
Brown Thug wrote:
Jun 16th, 2018 4:51 pm
I'm actually a graduate student now.
Wow, so many RFDers reveal their real life identities. So students and post-secondary prospects heads up... Heavy Exclamation Mark Symbol When you are posting, someone from your institution, teachers or schoolmates may be reading possibly. Face Screaming In Fear :twisted:
Last edited by cybercavalier on Jun 16th, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Jan 8, 2010
115 posts
29 upvotes
I think we can all agree that there are people in every field who make 80k+ quite easily or quickly, including sales, business, administration, etc. But if we are going to just look at the AVERAGE SALARIES within any field, then this is higher for professional fields like law, dentistry, and medicine. In business and sales, you will have people making 30-60k and you will have people making 80-150k. It is really a wide range, I would argue that the people who got into the higher range would have done so regardless of their education. I know a high school dropout making 100k+ in business now. You don't need a degree or diploma to succeed in this field.

P.S. To the Thread Creator who for some reason felt the need to attack Eragon because I was supporting his/her posts. I'm actually a graduate student now and made this account when I was in high school 8 years ago. If I could go back, I would make a different username, but I don't care which is why I'm still posting under this name. Why do you care what my username is?
Feb 27, 2018
45 posts
25 upvotes
Since all you care about is money, its obvious any other profession except business would end up making your life more miserable in the end. business is all about the money man. if you have real balls, than be an entrenpaneur (yes i spelled that wrong, not gonna fix it though). endless possibilities with money but that could also mean crushing you financially. or just get a degree/diploma/get experience doing business jobs and work your way up company ladders like many people do. Every choice you make is gonna be tough in this world so be prepared to work. unless youve got a really great idea that can bend the rules a bit.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1848 posts
466 upvotes
Woodbridge
There are no degrees that guarantee $80,000+ annual salary. There are also plenty of people making more than $80,000 per year without any degrees. What exactly did you expect when asking this question?
Banned
Dec 20, 2017
4 posts
Follow your passions :facepalm: You'll be more successful in the long run if you look forward to getting up every morning in service of the life that you chose. That said, maybe there is a way to combine your expertise with your long-term goals. My husband has chosen his dream career, passed tests (but worked hard of course and uses special courses, these ones https://linguatrip.com/en/landings/englishtest/) and now he is the most happiest man everSmiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2693 posts
572 upvotes
Edmonton
OP

If you want to make good money and be stress free, come to the trades

You want 80K a year? Sure why not. Work for 6 months, make 80k and take the other 6 months off.

It takes 4 years to graduate a degree program or 4 years to become a journeyman. You will get atleast 80k a year as a journeyman right away if you are speaking truly and you are willing to work
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Jul 22, 2015
233 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Network security! Look on indeed, almost 1000+ jobs over $80k.
Penalty Box
Feb 25, 2018
392 posts
133 upvotes
Obviously business is the best course to take if you are inclined to business (work hard, take risks and creativity) and want to make money.

The thing with business is not to think too glamorous. You'd be surprise at the un glamorous businesses that make a whole lot of cash. You just need to brainstorm business that you can start with a minimum amount of cash.
Sep 29, 2008
669 posts
93 upvotes
Mississauga
If you are any decent at programming then a CS major can easily land you a 70-120k job right out of college. As far as I know that is the fastest way to making a very good salary simply with just a bachelors degree. Even CS internships pay ridiculous amounts of money. The work life balance, job satisfaction and perks are also usually a lot better than most other fields. It is a no brainer if you are all a technical person and enjoy software.
Jul 18, 2018
3 posts
1 upvote
This day and age, earning 80k is possible (legally).
Become a Red Hat Certified Systems Engineer or Cisco Certified Engineer or Cloud Systems Engineer.
It won't get you 80k right away but, starting salaries range from $35 - $50 /hour.
May 29, 2017
42 posts
12 upvotes
from my experiences because you didnt go university a lot of private companies will want to keep you at 40-50k range.
Dec 29, 2017
121 posts
75 upvotes
It's more about who you are as an individual (and your network) that justifies a particular salary of $X. Going into law for money is a big mistake, on a large part, to most it's dull and challenging career. Keyword, "challenge" often time associated with high salaries. But, recent influx of law school grads has really done a big toll on average lawyer salaries. In fact most are within 60K range.

When it comes to law or business school, you need to break into IVY league schools as they call them in U.S. It's where the cream of the crop applicants get admitted.
Then you got to prove yourself, in both professions it's all about the show. Otherwise you'll be an average guy in a Calvin Klein suit from TheBay, and if you say, "who cares about the brand of the suit", you'll be surprised, but it does matter is some circles. Again, it's all about facade if you want to make it big if decide to work in corporate world.

Other fields: Pharmacy, Physiotherapy, Chiropractics are taking a big hit in salaries. I urge you to talk to someone in these fields and most will tell you salaries have decreased or simply capped. I want to add a correction, salaries capped unless you start building your own practice, easier said than done
Pharmacy which originally was though of a lucrative field in which you can make 6 figures, the time is way gone, it was in 2000's. Universities increase class sizes in pharm programs and it's rather not that difficult to get license as a Pharmacist in Canada if you come from abroad, many are taking this rout.
The problem is all 3 above mentioned professions (you can add few others such as Optometry and Occupational Therapy), are HIGHLY dependent on Insurance coverage. less coverage = less business.

We have a lot of educated but unemployed students, because entrance into "professional" degree is highly number capped! Winner takes it all structure.

As with everything in life, there are trends, a decade or two ago having a J.D. or an M.B.A. from a school would correlate with 100k+ salaries. Now we got TOO MANY Business schools offering an MBA and a bunch of Law schools opening up. I think Ryerson is thinking of opening one too!
Now imagine, how many "LAWYERS" we'll have on the market. BUT, only a few laws schools will remain relevant with promising employment rate.

Agree or disagree but it's a fact.