Students

Best course /degree for highest paying salary/profession

Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8646 posts
796 upvotes
Brown Thug wrote:
Jun 16th, 2018 4:51 pm
I think we can all agree that there are people in every field who make 80k+ quite easily or quickly, including sales, business, administration, etc. But if we are going to just look at the AVERAGE SALARIES within any field, then this is higher for professional fields like law, dentistry, and medicine. In business and sales, you will have people making 30-60k and you will have people making 80-150k. It is really a wide range, I would argue that the people who got into the higher range would have done so regardless of their education. I know a high school dropout making 100k+ in business now. You don't need a degree or diploma to succeed in this field.

P.S. To the Thread Creator who for some reason felt the need to attack Eragon because I was supporting his/her posts. I'm actually a graduate student now and made this account when I was in high school 8 years ago. If I could go back, I would make a different username, but I don't care which is why I'm still posting under this name. Why do you care what my username is?
This is quite true.

I know people who have great degrees and some who do not. In the end, for the most part, the ones who move up and make money are the ones who were going to anyways just because they have the ability to get there.

There are reasons why tons of people working at head office banks have the same degree/education but the obvious ones are the ones who move up and the ones will stay in the same role making less.
Aug 18, 2018
265 posts
167 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
Old thread and OP got banned I know, but thought I'd share in case this benefits anyone.

If you're singularly focused on earning a high salary in the shortest amount of time possible, I suggest looking to our southern neighbors for opportunities. I say this with the caveat that you'll still need to be in at least the top 20% to even have a shot, but if you've made it that far, might as well see what the US has to offer rather than compete locally for non-existent positions. This mostly applies if you have a science degree and actually want to make a career out of it, rather than using it as a stepping stone to something better.

To give some actual numbers, when I finished my MSc in chemistry in 2012, I was offered a job at a local company with a starting salary of 50K with nothing else, while the US one offered me 60K + 5K signing bonus + 220 units of restricted stock (worth about 8K in 2012). All the more impressive when you consider that particular US company has a reputation of being "lean and cheap".
Oct 25, 2010
406 posts
152 upvotes
Imho nothing wrong with the OP’s question. I asked the same thing at your age and had the marks to pursue the answer I was given. No need for personal attacks noted in this thread. My only advice OP is that you will likely find in the future that you wish you pursued something you are passionate about. Because if you do something you enjoy, you will have a much happier life. It’s hard to drag yourself to a job day day in day out that you might think is boring for example. Follow your dreams and because you love it you’ll end up making good money anyway. So ask yourself what would be your dream career and then figure out how you can do it.
Jan 4, 2007
51 posts
7 upvotes
MissingHoursInPaystub wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 12:01 pm
I am planning to go to college.
Will prefer anything, I mean anything, from biz to medical to engineering, doesn't matter as long as it gets the highest salary 80000$ pa at least.
Plz advice any course /degree.
Will like to hear about short term courses with very high salary, first.
Of course dont mind doing long courses as long as the salary is very high too.

Plz provide facts & numbers instead of opinions.
Use this or any similar one. The numbers are averages so take them with a grain of salt but it gives reasonable guidance on salary but more importantly what's involved in the job, future prospects, and how to get into the career.
https://alis.alberta.ca/

Probably better advise would be to read some or all of these books.
https://www.inc.com/business-insider/18 ... uffet.html
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
12922 posts
1528 upvotes
A degree in math (passing the step exam) and/or applied physics will prove your determination and your smarts. I have a soft spot with anyone with masters in actuarial science.