Students

Best course /degree for highest paying salary/profession

Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
3053 posts
361 upvotes
Gross, I think it might be close for ophthalmologists, but not net after overhead. Not probable net for most dentists unless they own multiple clinics/run multiple operatories, which is certainly possible. Easier for dentists to leverage themselves into multiple clinics, but higher overhead costs...
Dec 7, 2018
41 posts
20 upvotes
SkynyrdsInyrds wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 11:59 am
I call BS on dentists or ophthalmologists earning a million. That is a complete load of shite.
I'm telling you that from experience. I am acquainted with someone who owns their own dental practice, has 2 associates, and several hygienists, and they grossed over 3.4 million in billings, and the owner's take home was over a million. I know this, I don't think this. I also have friends that as associates themselves, earned approximately $600,000 last year, so you can imagine what the owner took home.

I should clarify that not everyone does this, clearly. Some dentists are socially "awkward" and not able to command the patient base others do. Again, as an example, I know of a person that in a major metropolitan city, owns 57 dental practices (at last count). You would never know it because they all have different names. Now, tell me what you think they earn a year?

It's tacky to disclose ones income. I can tell you this because I don't know you, you don't know me, and I am not the person in question.
Yo ho ho...
Apr 14, 2017
561 posts
187 upvotes
DT Calgary
57 dental practices? This guy may likely be a billionaire by the time he dies. Seems a little far fetched for a dentist...
Jul 31, 2017
411 posts
125 upvotes
TheKiwiCornelius wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 6:28 pm
I'm telling you that from experience. I am acquainted with someone who owns their own dental practice, has 2 associates, and several hygienists, and they grossed over 3.4 million in billings, and the owner's take home was over a million. I know this, I don't think this. I also have friends that as associates themselves, earned approximately $600,000 last year, so you can imagine what the owner took home.

I should clarify that not everyone does this, clearly. Some dentists are socially "awkward" and not able to command the patient base others do. Again, as an example, I know of a person that in a major metropolitan city, owns 57 dental practices (at last count). You would never know it because they all have different names. Now, tell me what you think they earn a year?

It's tacky to disclose ones income. I can tell you this because I don't know you, you don't know me, and I am not the person in question.

Someone who owns multiple practices can bring that home, but a dentist or ophthalmologist in private practice will not. They won't even come close. And I don't believe for a second that you know someone who owns 57 practices. I asked a friend of mine from university who is a dentist now to look at this thread and when he read your post he just laughed.
Aug 18, 2018
770 posts
428 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
TheKiwiCornelius wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 6:28 pm

So if that person owns 57 clinics, at that point he's not exactly a practicing dentist but more of a businessman isn't he?
[This signature intentionally left blank]
Dec 7, 2018
41 posts
20 upvotes
SkynyrdsInyrds wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 10:15 pm
Someone who owns multiple practices can bring that home, but a dentist or ophthalmologist in private practice will not. They won't even come close. And I don't believe for a second that you know someone who owns 57 practices. I asked a friend of mine from university who is a dentist now to look at this thread and when he read your post he just laughed.
I know someone that works for that dentist so the idea that your dentist friend laughed means he is just out of touch with reality. Incidentally, I don't know what you define as "private practice" but someone who owns multiple practices is in "private practice." In fact, everyone in Canada is in private practice, essentially. Maybe I should bold essentially to clarify it for you?

I'm getting the sense that you are envious of these wealthy dentists? Don't be a hater mate, not everyone is cut out for it.
Yo ho ho...
Dec 7, 2018
41 posts
20 upvotes
arkane wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 11:39 pm
So if that person owns 57 clinics, at that point he's not exactly a practicing dentist but more of a businessman isn't he?
All dentists are business people, on some level. Including physicians.
Yo ho ho...
Jan 8, 2010
126 posts
41 upvotes
TheKiwiCornelius wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 12:52 pm
I know someone that works for that dentist so the idea that your dentist friend laughed means he is just out of touch with reality. Incidentally, I don't know what you define as "private practice" but someone who owns multiple practices is in "private practice." In fact, everyone in Canada is in private practice, essentially. Maybe I should bold essentially to clarify it for you?

I'm getting the sense that you are envious of these wealthy dentists? Don't be a hater mate, not everyone is cut out for it.
+1000000000000

You have to consider the fact that the average RFDer and average person in society is making less than 60-70k per annum. So you'll get a lot of biased intentional/unintentional hate and bitterness towards those professions and people making well over six figures. It's just the way it is. Most people are not cut out to be healthcare or legal professionals. The people going into medicine, dentistry, law, optometry, etc. are beating out 80% of their peers to get into these professional programs and get a foot into the profession (not counting foreign trained graduates). I mean, just look at that lawyer Eragon's posts in this thread. OP disappeared after he made some pretty strong arguments. Not everyone has what it takes to become rich through education.
Jul 31, 2017
411 posts
125 upvotes
TheKiwiCornelius wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 12:52 pm
I know someone that works for that dentist so the idea that your dentist friend laughed means he is just out of touch with reality.
No, it means that you are full of crap.

Incidentally, I don't know what you define as "private practice" but someone who owns multiple practices is in "private practice." In fact, everyone in Canada is in private practice, essentially. Maybe I should bold essentially to clarify it for you?
By private practice I meant someone running their own dental practice, not a chain of them. Was that really so hard for you to figure out?

Then you're a bigger idiot than I thought. This has nothing to do with envy (my hourly wage is far higher than the Canadian average, far higher), and is simply that I don't believe a word you are saying.
Jul 31, 2017
411 posts
125 upvotes
Brown Thug wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 1:05 pm
+1000000000000

You have to consider the fact that the average RFDer and average person in society is making less than 60-70k per annum. So you'll get a lot of biased intentional/unintentional hate and bitterness towards those professions and people making well over six figures. It's just the way it is. Most people are not cut out to be healthcare or legal professionals. The people going into medicine, dentistry, law, optometry, etc. are beating out 80% of their peers to get into these professional programs and get a foot into the profession (not counting foreign trained graduates). I mean, just look at that lawyer Eragon's posts in this thread. OP disappeared after he made some pretty strong arguments. Not everyone has what it takes to become rich through education.

This has bugger all to do with envy, as you erroneously claim, as I earn almost $90/hr. It simply has to do with not believing what the other poster is saying.

As for being accepted into those programs - I didn't go into a professional program, I went to graduate school instead which is harder to get into (especially a PhD program - for my program just over thirty applied in my year and only four of us were accepted). Had I chosen to go into a professional program such as law (my undergrad degree was not in the sciences so I wouldn't have applied to medicine, dentistry, etc. except, possibly, the med program at Mac which takes people with non-science degrees and spends the first year teaching them just the science they need to know to be a doctor) I would have easily been accepted. I considered it briefly, sat the LSAT and scored over the 80th percentile, but chose another route. Friends who had slightly lower grades than me got in easily, so I would have as well but chose a different path - one for which acceptance was actually much harder than for a professional program such as law.
Mar 14, 2018
54 posts
20 upvotes
SkynyrdsInyrds wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 12:06 pm
No, it means that you are full of crap.

By private practice I meant someone running their own dental practice, not a chain of them. Was that really so hard for you to figure out?

Then you're a bigger idiot than I thought. This has nothing to do with envy (my hourly wage is far higher than the Canadian average, far higher), and is simply that I don't believe a word you are saying.
Clever rebuttal. You don't sound like an idiot at all.

Hint: you admitted to having envy for dentists....
Jan 8, 2010
126 posts
41 upvotes
SkynyrdsInyrds wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 12:09 pm
This has bugger all to do with envy, as you erroneously claim, as I earn almost $90/hr. It simply has to do with not believing what the other poster is saying.

As for being accepted into those programs - I didn't go into a professional program, I went to graduate school instead which is harder to get into (especially a PhD program - for my program just over thirty applied in my year and only four of us were accepted). Had I chosen to go into a professional program such as law (my undergrad degree was not in the sciences so I wouldn't have applied to medicine, dentistry, etc. except, possibly, the med program at Mac which takes people with non-science degrees and spends the first year teaching them just the science they need to know to be a doctor) I would have easily been accepted. I considered it briefly, sat the LSAT and scored over the 80th percentile, but chose another route. Friends who had slightly lower grades than me got in easily, so I would have as well but chose a different path - one for which acceptance was actually much harder than for a professional program such as law.
To clarify, I didn't read the conversation that took place between you and the other poster, and was making a general "societal" statement.

You don't need a science degree to get into medical school and many other healthcare professional programs. They just want an undergraduate degree with high marks and good MCAT score (some schools don't require the MCAT either). I know people in medical school with arts and commerce degrees, so it can certainly be done.

If you have a PhD in a non-STEM program, then I'd genuinely be shocked that you're earning 90/hr, but if true, congratulate you on such an achievement. It is certainly not the norm. I have three friends that dropped out of their PhD programs once they saw the job market for PhDs in Canada. Universities are leaning towards part-time contract positions and very few tenure positions available in academia. You certainly don't need a PhD for industry jobs, especially if they're in non-STEM areas.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1427 posts
756 upvotes
TorontoTacos wrote:
Jun 24th, 2018 8:15 am
Network security! Look on indeed, almost 1000+ jobs over $80k.
Most are fake.
Mar 6, 2006
92 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Go to comp sci or similar at Waterloo. If you are good at it and have good internships, you can get $120k+ offers in Silicon Valley right after graduating. If you really have the talent, you can make $200k+ after a few years.
Not everyone like to code, but having experience in software opens up the door to other tech jobs. Product manager, project manager, data scientist, UI designer, QA engineer, devops, information security, even tech recruiting pays well in US. I’m not sure which ones qualify for TN visa and which ones hire new grads from Canada.