• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2012 2:48 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 24, 2012
49 posts

best credit card for online shopping?

whats the best cc for online shopping without an annual fee? I currently have mbna smart and rbc visa.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
1804 posts
161 upvotes
If you shop at US sites a lot then Chase Amazon Visa is the best card because it has no Forex fees and also gives cash back on Amazon.ca/com purchases.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2011
1724 posts
221 upvotes
RMB
Just wondering what other credit cards offer free forex fee beside chase amazon.
Jul 24, 2003
963 posts
14 upvotes
zilber wrote:
Aug 7th, 2012 12:27 am
Just wondering what other credit cards offer free forex fee beside chase amazon.
dont think there's any other one with free forex fee other than chase amazon
Oct 11, 2008
80 posts
2 upvotes
Can I use Chase Amazon CC for cross border shopping? do they actually give you a card or is it more like a credit line ? I applied and was immediately approved for a considerable amount but I am not sure if I will get the actual card.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2011
1724 posts
221 upvotes
RMB
Shantoos wrote:
Aug 8th, 2012 9:31 pm
Can I use Chase Amazon CC for cross border shopping? do they actually give you a card or is it more like a credit line ? I applied and was immediately approved for a considerable amount but I am not sure if I will get the actual card.
You will receive the card in 2 wks.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/help/customer/d ... 03410&#use
Feb 11, 2012
95 posts
11 upvotes
zilber wrote:
Aug 7th, 2012 12:27 am
There are Sears store card with no Forex fees but you receive sears points if you purchase a lot from there that might be a good option.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
1732 posts
742 upvotes
Why not get the New RBC Virtual Visa Debit Card. You have to call or go in person to get one.
This is only good for ONLINE purchases and they take the money from your chequing account, so no need to 'top it up'
More info here: http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/visa-debit/index.html

AND

Every time you pay with Virtual Visa Debit between now and October 31, 2012, your name will be entered in a draw to win a cash prize*.

Five $1,000 prizes will be awarded every month through October
All entries will also be included in a Grand Prize Draw
for a chance to win $10,000

Call 1-800-769-2511
Feb 11, 2012
95 posts
11 upvotes
Shantoos wrote:
Aug 8th, 2012 9:31 pm

Lets face it Canadian banking sucks... that's American bank...that's how it should be...why do you need to wait couple of weeks to get approval.

I have decided to go for anything that I get from American company from same price(from Morning Coffee at McDonalds instead Timms and groceries from Walmart instead any PC store :) )...enough monopoly of Canadian companies
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14299 posts
1970 upvotes
Toronto
mark121 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2012 10:17 pm
Lets face it Canadian banking sucks... that's American bank...that's how it should be...why do you need to wait couple of weeks to get approval.

I have decided to go for anything that I get from American company from same price(from Morning Coffee at McDonalds instead Timms and groceries from Walmart instead any PC store :) )...enough monopoly of Canadian companies
What? That's a horrible generalization since McDonald's is trying to be a "good" corporate citizen and Walmart focuses on monopolizing the market. They both provide great services but nothing about them represents America though they're American companies.

It's like saying:

Bell vs AT&T
Rogers vs Verizon
Health Care vs Cheap Tax

All of them suck equally.

I rather support canadian businesses if the price is right. Patriotism is assumed when you're a citizen.
Feb 11, 2012
95 posts
11 upvotes
wilsonlam97 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2012 10:21 pm
What? That's a horrible generalization since McDonald's is trying to be a "good" corporate citizen and Walmart focuses on monopolizing the market. They both provide great services but nothing about them is american though they're american companies.
Well and you will keep giving your business to Canadian companies and get your money soaked..Its time to make local players feel that there are competitors and its no more monopoly market.

So I am doing it :D ...and of course I am more satisfied with service/ product I get and value for my money.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
1804 posts
161 upvotes
NoFixedAddress wrote:
Why not get the New RBC Virtual Visa Debit Card. You have to call or go in person to get one.
This is only good for ONLINE purchases and they take the money from your chequing account, so no need to 'top it up'

AND

Every time you pay with Virtual Visa Debit between now and October 31, 2012, your name will be entered in a draw to win a cash prize*.

Call 1-800-769-2511
Do you happen to work for RBC? That happens to be the most awful advice/advertisement I have seen on these forums in a while. Why would you use this over Amazon Chase Visa?

1. Chase Visa is an actual credit card, not a card that pretends to be. User pays using credit money and doesn't directly debit their account. Which is awful for a multitude of reasons.
2. Chase Visa has no Forex fees. RBC has figured a million ways to charge us more on top of actual US$ transaction, 2.5% commission is something we cant do without.
3. Chase Visa comes with host of benefits and works everywhere as a VISA card, one doesn't have to explain to local cashiers how to process it. Nuisance if you ask me.
4. Chase Amazon has 1% ROR on everything, what does RBC virtual thing magic offer? Last time I checked it was nothing.

I am sorry for being a bit crude, but if you don't know what you are talking about, its best to stay in the Hot Deals forum.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2011
1724 posts
221 upvotes
RMB
NoFixedAddress wrote:

AND

Call 1-800-769-2511
Why would I let someone debit my bank account for every purchase transaction. What if something goes wrong like fraud or I need a refund on something, then it is going to take forever to get the money back. This is the stupidest card that I've ever seen.
Feb 11, 2012
95 posts
11 upvotes
wilsonlam97 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2012 10:21 pm
What? That's a horrible generalization since McDonald's is trying to be a "good" corporate citizen and Walmart focuses on monopolizing the market. They both provide great services but nothing about them represents America though they're American companies.
It's like saying:

Bell vs AT&T
Rogers vs Verizon
Health Care vs Cheap Tax

All of them suck equally.
There is also T-mobile ;) and AT&T/ Verizon gives iPhone in 2 year contract.
I prefer cheap tax rather than paying benefits to unemployed (here I mean who don't want to work/ don't work hard) out of my Taxes and healthcare here is not any good, the wait times are ridiculous

I rather support canadian businesses if the price is right. Patriotism is assumed when you're a citizen
....That's why they still exist by giving less value for money... monopoly is not good for any economy
Oct 11, 2008
80 posts
2 upvotes
mark121 wrote:

I totally agree with you. Everything American is the best, that's why America is land of opportunities and funny I was just thinking the same thing McDonalds Coffee is actually fantastic, gives me the morning kick I need not like the watery taste of Timmies coffee, and these days it's on a free promotion here in Ontario and I am loving it!
× < >