None
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
2200 posts
516 upvotes
Ontario
Kiraly wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 2:55 pm
I don't know if it's necessary. I applied online for the Visa, and not being a member didn't disqualify me. Application is pending; If I am told I need to open an account, I will.
Makes sense. Let us know what their policy is on this, pls.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery 4% CTC 5 c/L CTC/Husky free roadside 1% on bill pay
Bank: Alterna (2%+, no fees)
Brokers: IB (For. stocks/low comm)/Reg. RBCDI(service, USD)
Mar 16, 2011
388 posts
199 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 3:11 pm
Very well said!
My go to card is Scotia Amex.
It fits my spending, is accepted at many places I shop, and I maximize my cash back by purchasing prepaid MC at 7-11 which gives me 4% back there, and I use those prepaid at places that dont accept MC, like Costco.
The net return after paying the activation fee on the prepaid is 2.5%. Still better than my Fido MC which is my back up card.

Scotia Amex is my go to as well. The 4 categories at 4% are my four most used spending categories overall so it works well.
Are you saying 7-11 is listed as a 4% category under the Gold Amex? Good to know. I might do the same thing then and get some pre-paid MC.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2003
1584 posts
25 upvotes
Used the Scotia amex for the last year and loved it. Called 5 minutes ago to cancel due to my fyf being over this month, and they waived it for another year. Called Capital One to do the same on my Aspire and they told me to kick rocks. Yet another reason I like the scotia amex.

Didn't know about the 4% on MC prepaid cards at 7-11. You're for sure on that?? If so, heading there tomorrow because now I don't have a mastercard lol (thank capital one!)
Temp. Banned
Aug 24, 2016
5167 posts
4182 upvotes
We’re all a little s…
chopperE wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 3:54 pm
Are you saying 7-11 is listed as a 4% category under the Gold Amex? Good to know. I might do the same thing then and get some pre-paid MC.
Yes they sure are.
Yes Scotia fits my spending really well.
I do make use of the entertainment category as well, as I attend quite a few concerts, comedy and sports events.
Temp. Banned
Aug 24, 2016
5167 posts
4182 upvotes
We’re all a little s…
Nraja wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 4:09 pm
Used the Scotia amex for the last year and loved it. Called 5 minutes ago to cancel due to my fyf being over this month, and they waived it for another year. Called Capital One to do the same on my Aspire and they told me to kick rocks. Yet another reason I like the scotia amex.

Didn't know about the 4% on MC prepaid cards at 7-11. You're for sure on that?? If so, heading there tomorrow because now I don't have a mastercard lol (thank capital one!)
Capital One doesn't care because the card isn't available anymore.
I suspect they'll at some point pack up their tents like Chase did.
All roads seem to point in that direction.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
1692 posts
646 upvotes
GTA
Just curious if any one can suggest a good VISA card for everyday use. Prefer to be free, but if justifiable I don't mind paying the annual fee.
TIA
¸

- - - - -
Koodo * Public Mobile,
Zoomer wireless, and
Rogers accounts
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3752 posts
3453 upvotes
Vancouver
Without knowing your spending patterns, nobody can suggest what Visa card is best for you. How much you spend and what you spend it on makes a huge difference in what card is the best.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Jul 25, 2017
69 posts
27 upvotes
Depends on your spending, for me I think 70% of my spend is in 1% category for any cards, I used scotia card for 5 years, I calculated my average return is around 1.4%, so MBNA one should be best for me, but no insurance, hard to say which one is the best
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
1692 posts
646 upvotes
GTA
ccylyl wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 10:26 am
Depends on your spending, for me I think 70% of my spend is in 1% category for any cards, I used scotia card for 5 years, I calculated my average return is around 1.4%, so MBNA one should be best for me, but no insurance, hard to say which one is the best
Thanks. I think lots of people are in this category.

My Chase/Amazon Visa will be discontinued in March, just hoping to get a replacement. Some people suggest the Home Trust Visa but quoted that it is hard to get approved - wonder why that is the case.

TIA
¸

- - - - -
Koodo * Public Mobile,
Zoomer wireless, and
Rogers accounts
Oct 7, 2011
974 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto
The HSBC Jade MC.

No foreign currency conversion charge.

$200 annual travel enhancement credit toward select airline seat upgrades, airline baggage fees and airport lounge passes.

31 day travel insurance.

complimentary membership to Mastercard Airport Experiences Provided by LoungeKey with your HSBC Jade World Elite Mastercard and enjoy unlimited access for the cardholder and one guest at no extra cost to over 800 airport lounges worldwide.

Earn 3%1 in travel rewards on all eligible travel purchases2 (6 points per $1) and 1.5% in travel rewards on all other eligible purchases3 (3 points per $1).

Fee waived by being a HSBC Jade member.
Only need to invest $1M with HSBC. I'm going to get one (with my upcoming 649 or Lotto Max winnings)
May 8, 2009
8179 posts
4080 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
DragOnT wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 9:20 am
Just curious if any one can suggest a good VISA card for everyday use. Prefer to be free, but if justifiable I don't mind paying the annual fee.
TIA
Depends on your spending categories.

Most people will spend $500-3k per month on G&G (depending on family size) unless they're on a student budget. I'd say G&G are important categories. Then for PAP, most will pay $100-500 per month, so a worthy category. If you have no coverage on pharmaceuticals, pharmacies may be an important category. If you have coverage for prescription meds, then you can substitute pharmacy with groceries easily.

For Visa, looks like Scotia Momentum and TD CB Infinite are kings. Don't feel like churning? Spend mostly on G&G, and equally on Pharm & PAP? Scotia is the winner, plus lower annual fee. If you put all your coin in PAP (like me), looks like TD is a clear winner. TD has annual fee of $120 and 6% CB on everything (up to $3.5k spent) for 3 months and FYF (looking good for CC churners), but includes roadside assistance. Since roadside assistance is worth roughly the annual fee, it's still a good deal for the long haul.

Another factor is income requirements, history with each bank, etc. If one bank will approve you for the credit you need (or approve you at all), that may be the best deal. @DragOnT I don't know your situation, just giving some generic feedback for anyone reading this thread.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
1692 posts
646 upvotes
GTA
titaniumtux wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 12:58 pm
Depends on your spending categories.

Most people will spend $500-3k per month on G&G (depending on family size) unless they're on a student budget. I'd say G&G are important categories. Then for PAP, most will pay $100-500 per month, so a worthy category. If you have no coverage on pharmaceuticals, pharmacies may be an important category. If you have coverage for prescription meds, then you can substitute pharmacy with groceries easily.

For Visa, looks like Scotia Momentum and TD CB Infinite are kings. Don't feel like churning? Spend mostly on G&G, and equally on Pharm & PAP? Scotia is the winner, plus lower annual fee. If you put all your coin in PAP (like me), looks like TD is a clear winner. TD has annual fee of $120 and 6% CB on everything (up to $3.5k spent) for 3 months and FYF (looking good for CC churners), but includes roadside assistance. Since roadside assistance is worth roughly the annual fee, it's still a good deal for the long haul.

Another factor is income requirements, history with each bank, etc. If one bank will approve you for the credit you need (or approve you at all), that may be the best deal. @DragOnT I don't know your situation, just giving some generic feedback for anyone reading this thread.
Thanks, G&G mostly and some gadgets once in a while - lol
¸

- - - - -
Koodo * Public Mobile,
Zoomer wireless, and
Rogers accounts
May 8, 2009
8179 posts
4080 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
DragOnT wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 2:25 pm
Thanks, G&G mostly and some gadgets once in a while - lol
G&G mostly? Then Scotia Momentum. Looks like they have extended warranty through VISA Infinite (but only 1% CB since gadgets would fall under "everything else" unless you buy 'em at the grocery store).
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8181 posts
875 upvotes
Montreal, QC
My go-to duo right now is Amex Cobalt for eating out and MBNA World Elite for everything else.

As others have echoed "best" is really relative. Some cards for example give better cash back than the 2% of the MBNA, but for example, I don't currently own a car, so gas 4% on say the Momentum is useless to me.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1215 posts
815 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Cavegirl wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 11:31 am
The HSBC Jade MC.
Agreed that if this card is attainable it is very worth of being ‘the best’ and 1M in assets isn’t that hard to save for if you completed some STEM degree at school.