109 upvotes
Surrey

Best Credit Card for a student?

With irregular income...

mbna smartcash

or

Aspire Cash World Mastercard

and why?

At first glance, these seem very similar to me.
For the night is dark and full of white walkers and crazy women who burns kids and who blows up the city and gets a huge kill streak.
8 replies
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
336 upvotes
Winnipeg
Smart Cash. I doubt you would be approved for a world card without 60k income
Can you believe it? They sent my income tax return forms back to me! In response to question # 4, "Do you have any dependants?" I replied - "2.1 million illegal immigrants, 1.1 million crack heads, 4.4 million unemployable people, 901 thousand people in over 85 prisons, and 650 idiots in Parliament.
Apparently, this was NOT an acceptable answer.

Who the hell did I miss? :razz:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
9221 posts
644 upvotes
don't you need income to get smart cash??

When i was in school, i was just happy to get a credit card.
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
336 upvotes
Winnipeg
kingofwale wrote:
Jan 8th, 2013 11:16 pm

I would think you need income even as a student. How much income is the question.
From MBNA's online application: You must have a total household income OF $35,000 OR greater (NOT applicable to students)
Now whether or not that means just the 35k requirement is not applicable, or the income altogether, is anyone's guess because they don't state a student income requirement.
Can you believe it? They sent my income tax return forms back to me! In response to question # 4, "Do you have any dependants?" I replied - "2.1 million illegal immigrants, 1.1 million crack heads, 4.4 million unemployable people, 901 thousand people in over 85 prisons, and 650 idiots in Parliament.

Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
3480 posts
394 upvotes
Vancouver
convolution wrote:
Jan 8th, 2013 11:00 pm
With irregular income...

mbna smartcash

or

Aspire Cash World Mastercard

and why?

At first glance, these seem very similar to me.
You probably won't get approved for Aspire Cash World. You're wasting your time on it. If you do somehow get approved, your credit limit will suck and Capital One sucks, you can't do anything after you've gotten the card, so you're stuck. It's a good card because of the good benefits and 1.5% straight cash back (1% + 0.5% annual bonus), no minimum redemption.

Smart Cash is okay.. 1% on everything capped at $1250 (probably fine for students) and 2% on gas and groceries.

If you don't spend a lot, just get BMO SPC or Scene Visa. The first has a standard set of insurance features and gives you SPC discounts with tiered cash back or Air Miles. The latter gives you absolutely nothing except easy Scene points.
kingofwale wrote:
Jan 8th, 2013 11:16 pm

No, students don't have an income requirement for most, if not all MBNA cards.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1535 posts
68 upvotes
wayne74 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2013 11:07 pm
Smart Cash. I doubt you would be approved for a world card without 60k income
+1
I feel the need... the need for speed.
[OP]
Mar 4, 2011
296 posts
109 upvotes
Surrey
35k income per year for mbna? lol how on earth did I manage to get my hands on one?
Alright. I shall worry about the best credit cards once I have a solid income >.>

thx guys!
For the night is dark and full of white walkers and crazy women who burns kids and who blows up the city and gets a huge kill streak.
Sep 6, 2010
725 posts
72 upvotes
Waterloo
You can definitely try MBNA. Otherwise, just go with any of the big banks just to build your credit. As a new international student several years back, CIBC gave me $500 limit right off unsecured. I know TD does $1000 secured, not sure about others.
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
336 upvotes
Winnipeg
convolution wrote:
Jan 9th, 2013 9:42 pm
35k income per year for mbna? lol how on earth did I manage to get my hands on one?
You're a student, that's how you managed to get one :lol:

× < >