Best Credit Card for a student?

Posted: Jan 8th, 2013 11:00 pm
by convolution
With irregular income...

mbna smartcash

or

Aspire Cash World Mastercard

and why?

At first glance, these seem very similar to me.

Re: Best Credit Card for a student?

Posted: Jan 8th, 2013 11:07 pm
by wayne74
Smart Cash. I doubt you would be approved for a world card without 60k income

Posted: Jan 8th, 2013 11:16 pm
by kingofwale
don't you need income to get smart cash??

When i was in school, i was just happy to get a credit card.

Posted: Jan 9th, 2013 12:00 am
by wayne74
kingofwale wrote: don't you need income to get smart cash??

I would think you need income even as a student. How much income is the question.
From MBNA's online application: You must have a total household income OF $35,000 OR greater (NOT applicable to students)
Now whether or not that means just the 35k requirement is not applicable, or the income altogether, is anyone's guess because they don't state a student income requirement.

Posted: Jan 9th, 2013 12:01 am
by lhsonic
convolution wrote: With irregular income...

mbna smartcash

or

Aspire Cash World Mastercard

and why?

At first glance, these seem very similar to me.
You probably won't get approved for Aspire Cash World. You're wasting your time on it. If you do somehow get approved, your credit limit will suck and Capital One sucks, you can't do anything after you've gotten the card, so you're stuck. It's a good card because of the good benefits and 1.5% straight cash back (1% + 0.5% annual bonus), no minimum redemption.

Smart Cash is okay.. 1% on everything capped at $1250 (probably fine for students) and 2% on gas and groceries.

If you don't spend a lot, just get BMO SPC or Scene Visa. The first has a standard set of insurance features and gives you SPC discounts with tiered cash back or Air Miles. The latter gives you absolutely nothing except easy Scene points.
kingofwale wrote: don't you need income to get smart cash??

No, students don't have an income requirement for most, if not all MBNA cards.

Posted: Jan 9th, 2013 9:06 am
by Bomberman07
wayne74 wrote: Smart Cash. I doubt you would be approved for a world card without 60k income
+1

Posted: Jan 9th, 2013 9:42 pm
by convolution
35k income per year for mbna? lol how on earth did I manage to get my hands on one?
Alright. I shall worry about the best credit cards once I have a solid income >.>

thx guys!

Posted: Jan 9th, 2013 10:08 pm
by CsG
You can definitely try MBNA. Otherwise, just go with any of the big banks just to build your credit. As a new international student several years back, CIBC gave me $500 limit right off unsecured. I know TD does $1000 secured, not sure about others.

Posted: Jan 9th, 2013 10:10 pm
by wayne74
convolution wrote: 35k income per year for mbna? lol how on earth did I manage to get my hands on one?
You're a student, that's how you managed to get one :lol: