[OP]
Dec 24, 2011
14 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough

Best Cross Border Service?

I currently use

http://crossborderpickups.ca/

But I had to pay $30 on a small 3lb order.

I saw https://www.shipllama.com/

But they have no facebook reviews, their lama mascot isn't winning me over too.

What cross border service do you use?
Freelance Prototype Maker based in Toronto. Electronics, Computer Aided Design, 3-d printing. [self promotion removed]
7 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
11046 posts
2269 upvotes
There doesn't appear to be any inexpensive option. I got a quote from the llama and it came to the same or more than Crossborder. Crossborder works well but unless you want to drive to the boonies to pick up the box you have to pay the same ridiculous additional fee to get the shipment delivered to your door.
[OP]
Dec 24, 2011
14 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough
It was $30 just to pick it up from their warehouse. Not even delivered to my door.

Thanks for checking out Llama, saved me and other readers some time
Freelance Prototype Maker based in Toronto. Electronics, Computer Aided Design, 3-d printing. [self promotion removed]
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
11046 posts
2269 upvotes
donaldhu wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 10:57 am
It was $30 just to pick it up from their warehouse. Not even delivered to my door.

Thanks for checking out Llama, saved me and other readers some time
Yes it is about that just to pick it up there. I was paying almost $60 to get a package delivered to my door but it beat driving all the way out there from downtown. I don't think you are going to find cheaper services. It's a lot of work and administration to run these x-border services.

Actually, the only reason I used them was to have a US address for my US customers to send some products that needed to be upgraded. I didn't want them to have the hassle of filling out forms and sending the package to Canada for the additional cost, not to mention I want to maintain the semblance of an entirely US-based business. So, a forwarding service made a lot of sense, but the extra cost (which I added into the cost of the upgrade) was just ridiculous. Since then I have dropped using any such services and just tell customers I only do upgrades once a month. Then I just have them done at my US logistics warehouse by someone once a month. Otherwise I get a ton of personal purchases shipped to my US warehouse which I then bring back to Canada when I visit there.

I hear that chitchats is looking into a x-border service for packages from US to Canada but nothing has been done yet. They have trucks going down every day anyway that come back empty. Perhaps their service, if and when introduced, might be less expensive.
Oct 4, 2010
63 posts
17 upvotes
Torontoish
Check out nyaddress.ca
Looks ghetto, is ghetto, in ghetto, but only $2.95 USD per package.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
11046 posts
2269 upvotes
MrsDoubtfire wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 1:32 pm
Check out nyaddress.ca
Looks ghetto, is ghetto, in ghetto, but only $2.95 USD per package.
That service does not solve anything as those packages don't come to Canada but to the US. There are many companies that receive packages just over the border so that you can drive down to pick them up.

OP wants to have it x-shipped to Canada not to have to travel to pick them up.
[OP]
Dec 24, 2011
14 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough
thanks anyways.