• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2011 7:38 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 18, 2008
39 posts
Niagara

Best Deal on Home Phone/Internet/HD-TV - Ontario

Hi all - any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Currently a Bell customer and I'm paying way too much for my phone and internet. Looking to switch to a new provider and bundle tv/phone/internet. Any suggestions on good deals right now?

BTW - what do you pay for bundle packages??

Thanks for your help!!!
10 replies
Sep 18, 2009
79 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
4buyorsell wrote:
Dec 30th, 2010 10:21 am
Hi all - any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Currently a Bell customer and I'm paying way too much for my phone and internet. Looking to switch to a new provider and bundle tv/phone/internet. Any suggestions on good deals right now?

Thanks for your help!!!

Me too...internet and home phone is way too much. I'm look at Teksavvy to replace both; the consensus is that they have good customer service and people a minimal issues.

Also considering Acanac.
Jan 4, 2009
43 posts
Im currently with Cogeco Home/Phone/Internet paying approx $175/mth
I am looking at a few options and wanted to know if anyone has tried this
HD Antenna - The Source has mentioned to me why not try a HD antenna, Im not a fan of putting those honking huge antenna on my roof, but they have indoor ones for about $100, try for 30 days if not happy return...

OR.
I know Shaw is out here too now, but not in area.

any other suggestions - not going to Bell/Roger's!
Mar 19, 2003
385 posts
24 upvotes
a_t_jetto wrote:
Dec 31st, 2010 1:41 am
Me too...internet and home phone is way too much. I'm look at Teksavvy to replace both; the consensus is that they have good customer service and people a minimal issues.

Also considering Acanac.

I too, was looking for a good ISP provider, and based on all the great things said about Teksavvy and their pricing/rates I decided I couldn't go wrong. Needles to say, Teksavvy was the worst provider I've ever been with. I would complain more, but see no point as so many people come to their defense, it's as if my situation was a one off. Not sure about Acanac.
Mar 19, 2003
385 posts
24 upvotes
designer76 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2010 4:14 pm
HD Antenna - The Source has mentioned to me why not try a HD antenna, Im not a fan of putting those honking huge antenna on my roof, but they have indoor ones for about $100, try for 30 days if not happy return...

OR.

With an indoor HDTV antenna you need to be wary of the location of your home, and where the antenna is within it. If you're located downtown with a direct line of sight to the CN Tower, the reception should be very good. They can be pretty picky with regards to reception. If you have it mounted in the attic with a signal amplifier it should also be good. I have a brand name outdoor antenna (which cost me around $80) in my living room located around VicP and Finch, and because my house is located sort of at the bottom of a valley, the reception isn't that good. I only get about 5-6 Canadian HD channels that come in perfectly clean. CBC, Global, CityTV, Omni1/2, SUNTV. The antenna needs to be facing south west, of course if I move the antenna more than half a foot in any direction I lose the signal. On the flip side, I made a coat hanger HDTV antenna with some copper wire and a 2x2 that I bought at Home Depot, that is used at a friends condo 20+ floor at Yonge and Finch, and they get close to 20 HD stations including the US ones. I've made the coat hanger antenna with coat hangers as well, but find the copper wire to receive a stronger signal. $100 for an indoor antenna seems overpriced.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/762088/co ... t_amazing/

There's lots of tutorials as well on YouTube.
May 25, 2010
162 posts
5 upvotes
Calgary
designer76 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2010 4:14 pm

OR.

You can put antenna in your attic...
May 25, 2010
162 posts
5 upvotes
Calgary
4buyorsell wrote:
Dec 30th, 2010 10:21 am

Thanks for your help!!!

Why not try HD antenna for TV?
[OP]
Dec 18, 2008
39 posts
Niagara
Thanks for your help everyone. Maybe HD antenna might be the best bet for network TV (depends on what type of signal I can get). I am near Buffalo so I might luck out. I’m thinking another consideration might be a decent computer with HDMI …could stream Netflix in lieu of a movie channel subscription.
Mar 19, 2003
385 posts
24 upvotes
4buyorsell wrote:
Jan 4th, 2011 11:22 am
Thanks for your help everyone. Maybe HD antenna might be the best bet for network TV (depends on what type of signal I can get). I am near Buffalo so I might luck out. I’m thinking another consideration might be a decent computer with HDMI …could stream Netflix in lieu of a movie channel subscription.

That is also a good alternative. If you're near buffalo I would try making a HD antenna first, its cheap and might give you enough channels that you won't need to get anything else. Good luck.
[OP]
Dec 18, 2008
39 posts
Niagara
Just thought I would update this thread. I had amazing luck with my homemade hd antenna (thanks for the advice). I am currently getting 20 digital channels and a handful of analog (analog quality is poor). I might move the antenna outside to see if this improves. I’m also debating if I want to purchase a Boxee…but not sure how much bandwidth I might use in a month.

I am waiting for Cogeco to call back with a price for internet/home telephone service. I am definitely dropping Bell.
Nov 20, 2007
16 posts
Windsor
Does Anyone have worldline (www.worldline.ca) Internet experience? I have been using their 3.95/Month long distance service for home and cell phone and I am quite happy with that but I wonder about the whole bundle..
× < >