• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 8:59 am
[OP]
Sep 15, 2012
302 posts
25 upvotes
NB

Best deals for new Phone + Data?

Contract is expired for my old man, he just had his iPhone 6 unlocked. He's looking at getting a newer iPhone 7 perhaps 8 but whats the best current plans going? Located in Atlantic Canada so I'm stuck with the big three - Rogers, Telus and Bell also their smaller sister companies Fido, Koodo and Virgin.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3767 posts
648 upvotes
Brampton ON
Freedom will be the best deal.for iphone 8.
$65 monthly
$47.5 monthly with f&f discount.
Thank you for your generosity EY CG LJ
Shaw - Freedom Mobile
Virgin Mobile

Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes
iPonik wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 12:17 am
Contract is expired for my old man, he just had his iPhone 6 unlocked. He's looking at getting a newer iPhone 7 perhaps 8 but whats the best current plans going? Located in Atlantic Canada so I'm stuck with the big three - Rogers, Telus and Bell also their smaller sister companies Fido, Koodo and Virgin.
I would wait now until at least Boxing day and see what deals are offered. Usually they'll give you plans with extra data and the iPhone for $0. Just my 2 cents.
[OP]
Sep 15, 2012
302 posts
25 upvotes
NB
d1ulove3 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 5:39 am
$65 monthly
I don’t have freedom mobile..I’m on the east coast. and what is f&f discount?
kabyLake wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 6:50 am
I would wait now until at least Boxing day and see what deals are offered. Usually they'll give you plans with extra data and the iPhone for $0. Just my 2 cents.
Not a bad idea at this point in time
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes
iPonik wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:56 am
I don’t have freedom mobile..I’m on the east coast. and what is f&f discount?

Not a bad idea at this point in time
F&F discount is short for "friends and family" discount.
May 8, 2009
2283 posts
712 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
d1ulove3 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 5:39 am
$65 monthly
-1 for suggesting Freedom Mobile outside of their territory.

OP you said Atlantic, any EastLink in your area? Is Chatr an option? If nothing else, there's Public Mobile (no zones).

$0 upfront for a phone usually means the entire amount goes on device balance. We may see iPhone 7 at a discount on Koodo. Check for deals, grab an iPhone 7 on Koodo and cancel next day, then switch to Public Mobile for a cheaper rate plan.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
[OP]
Sep 15, 2012
302 posts
25 upvotes
NB
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:26 pm
-1 for suggesting Freedom Mobile outside of their territory.

OP you said Atlantic, any EastLink in your area? Is Chatr an option? If nothing else, there's Public Mobile (no zones).

$0 upfront for a phone usually means the entire amount goes on device balance. We may see iPhone 7 at a discount on Koodo. Check for deals, grab an iPhone 7 on Koodo and cancel next day, then switch to Public Mobile for a cheaper rate plan.
-1 for suggesting outside of territory.. LMAO!

Tell me, picking up a iPhone 7 on Koodo and then cancelling how does this work in my favour? Will I not have to pay 600$+ for the phone the next day when I cancel?

There is East link. No chatr option.
May 8, 2009
2283 posts
712 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
iPonik wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 9:17 pm
-1 for suggesting outside of territory.. LMAO!

Tell me, picking up a iPhone 7 on Koodo and then cancelling how does this work in my favour? Will I not have to pay 600$+ for the phone the next day when I cancel?

There is East link. No chatr option.
On Boxing day, expect iPhone 7 to be $200 cheaper than Apple store on Koodo. You may pay a bit upfront (depending on the promotion) but your device balance will be $504 (or $360 on a smashing deal), then cancel next day. Only a good deal if it's at minimum $100 cheaper than Apple store.

Knowing how high sales tax is in Atlantic, with Koodo you can switch to an AB # prior to cancelling to drop sales tax to 5%. Even in sales tax alone, this can save you upwards of $75.

Since you're out of Chatr zone, Public's your only "deal" if you're ok with 3G data.

There is the out of province plan loophole on Telus/Koodo, but not sure how long that will last.
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
[OP]
Sep 15, 2012
302 posts
25 upvotes
NB
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:28 pm
On Boxing day, expect iPhone 7 to be $200 cheaper than Apple store on Koodo. You may pay a bit upfront (depending on the promotion) but your device balance will be $504 (or $360 on a smashing deal), then cancel next day. Only a good deal if it's at minimum $100 cheaper than Apple store.

Knowing how high sales tax is in Atlantic, with Koodo you can switch to an AB # prior to cancelling to drop sales tax to 5%. Even in sales tax alone, this can save you upwards of $75.

Since you're out of Chatr zone, Public's your only "deal" if you're ok with 3G data.

There is the out of province plan loophole on Telus/Koodo, but not sure how long that will last.
Excuse my ignorance but I still do not follow the whole cancel next day deal and what exactly the final amount will be I pay.

If I look at Koodo now an iPhone 7 on a large tab is $250, medium tab its $370.

If I were to walk into the store tomorrow, pick up the phone on a large tab I would pay upfront $250, then what happens on the 3rd day when I cancel? What I do I pay? $504 plus the $250 I already paid on the first day?

I am assuming this Koodo thing cannot be done if your already a member with Koodo?

Public shows $45 for 2gb of data with 4G LTE? That seems like a pretty decent deal to me, what am I missing here?
May 8, 2009
2283 posts
712 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
iPonik wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 11:52 pm
Excuse my ignorance but I still do not follow the whole cancel next day deal and what exactly the final amount will be I pay.

If I look at Koodo now an iPhone 7 on a large tab is $250, medium tab its $370.

If I were to walk into the store tomorrow, pick up the phone on a large tab I would pay upfront $250, then what happens on the 3rd day when I cancel? What I do I pay? $504 plus the $250 I already paid on the first day?

I am assuming this Koodo thing cannot be done if your already a member with Koodo?

Public shows $45 for 2gb of data with 4G LTE? That seems like a pretty decent deal to me, what am I missing here?
On a monthly basis, for BYOD in the Maritimes, you probably can't beat Public.

iPhone 7 on Koodo, then yes, that's $250+$504 or $350+$360. But on Boxing Day, Koodo might make iPhone 7 $0 upfront, making it only $504 (plus the sim card and one or two days service).
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3876 posts
492 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 1:56 am

iPhone 7 on Koodo, then yes, that's $250+$504 or $350+$360. But on Boxing Day, Koodo might make iPhone 7 $0 upfront, making it only $504 (plus the sim card and one or two days service).
plus taxes?
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
[OP]
Sep 15, 2012
302 posts
25 upvotes
NB
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 1:56 am

Ah I see.. as of not that might not really be worth it considering iPhone 7 from apple is 739$.

If on Boxing Day the phone does drop down to 0$ then it would be a ~$200 savings.
May 8, 2009
2283 posts
712 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
yesstyle wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:14 am
plus taxes?
Yes but 5% on an AB #
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2016
1074 posts
513 upvotes
Surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but check out the Zoomer promo in the Hot Deals section. They run on Rogers network and have an unadvertised promo: $36 2gb LTE 400 daytime minutes, unlimited evenings/weekends/text + free LG G4. Upgrade to $36 Loyalty Plan that includes unlimited talk time after 6 months of service.

Edit: Missed the part of wanting an iPhone. Buy one via the Koodo hardware hacks as listed above or even check out the BTS forum here to see if you can get a iPhone 7 or 8 gently used still under warranty.
Koodo: $25 Unlimited Talk/Text
Zoomer: $45 4GB LTE Loyalty Plan
OP of the Zoomer Wireless $36 2GB LTE Promo