• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2012 2:21 am
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
165 upvotes
GTA

Best Dim Sum Places GTA

I thought maybe it was time to start a list of best Dim Sum Restaurants in the GTA. I personally prefer the AYCE places because I like getting my own food as opposed to waiting for the dim sum carts to come along but all opinions are welcome.
80 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
165 upvotes
GTA
Just to get this thread rolling, we used to enjoy going to China Buffet King on Sunday's because they had an excellent selection of dim sum products, however the last time we were there it seems the ownership had changed and it was more expensive with less quality. We haven't been back needless to say.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
165 upvotes
GTA
teknoluv wrote: But most even mid-end Chinese restaurants now don't have dim sum carts driving around, no?
I guess you have a choice of ordering/checking off the boxes to be more correct and then giving your order to a server rather than buying from the carts, the problem with carts with us is it takes too much time to dine, I don't know about others but I am usually not full leaving restaurants with the carts.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 12, 2003
7793 posts
40 upvotes
i dunno if you can equate BEST and AYCE together....

Some places that come to mind:

Ginger and Onion - Across from Market Village
Perfect Chinese Restaurant? - Brimley and Sheppard
Lai Wah Heen - Metropolitan Hotel (i know someone will mention this place, I don't like it in particular and it's expensive as hell)
Ruby Restaurant - Woodside Square - McCowan/Finch
Golden Court Abalone Restaurant - near Times Square
There is another one in Times Square by HDTV.. can't remember the name
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
There's other threads about this topic...

I was at Forestview on Dundas near Spadina recently and that place has a good balance of price vs quality. They seem to be stingy on the shao mai though. That cart is not frequent enough.

Stay away from Bright Pearl. It's seriously gone downhill over the years.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1092 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
I always go to Rol San north of Dundas on the east side of Spadina. Can't complain so far.
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2004
2056 posts
554 upvotes
Mississauga
Sam Woo (Mississauga) during happy hour is my fav! Only partial cart service though. However, everything is fresh and hot during happy hour!
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2005
1618 posts
387 upvotes
North York
DeimosBeros wrote: I always go to Rol San north of Dundas on the east side of Spadina. Can't complain so far.
+1 for Rol San, not exactly cheap by normal standards but the quality is there. You check what you want on a sheet and the food gets pumped out pretty fast.

Carts vs. Order on sheet - It really depends if you are in a rush or not... I would have to say ordering from the carts is more an experience and enjoying your meal as opposed to ordering what you want, eat and leave.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 17, 2006
5309 posts
275 upvotes
I recently revisited the one at Chartwell in Scarborough (Brimely/Hungtingwood) Dragon something? after many years. I would say it's my favourite dim sum place now.

I'm pretty sure they changed the chefs from last time I visited which was maybe 2-3yrs ago and they offer much more varieties than many dim sum place out there!! (ummm...drooling~~~)...

it's one of those places that they push they cart out (which I usually don't prefer) but they come out so frequent that I'm always full walking out from there.

Oh..and this place is not cheap neither by my definition....4 of us would usually go around $60...we usually go on Saturdays because it's less crowded (around 15-30mins wait) where as Sundays' wait could be at least an hour!
;)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
Dragon Centre at Glen Watford.

I tried the place in Mississauga on Dundas near Cawthra. The price was decent but some of the food tasted old. And the inside decor is very dreary and dirty looking (I felt like I was in a dungeon).
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
165 upvotes
GTA
We thought we'd give China Buffet King another try yesterday, though their dim sum products were okay...pig's feet, har gow & shui mei, tripe, beef balls, lotus leaf rice and steamed spare ribs. The other parts of their buffet seemed to be suffering, the sushi there is awful and the hot buffet seemed half empty most of the time. I wouldn't recommend this place anymore as it seems to have lost their quality and freshness quotient somewhere.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12614 posts
2318 upvotes
Never had AYCE dimsum before in Toronto. How much does it cost?

The place we have been going to recently is Szechuan Legend for dimsum. my girlfriend and I brought my parents there last time and everybody thought the dimsum was tastier than most others. Ordering is by sheet.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12614 posts
2318 upvotes
wolverine07 wrote: I guess you have a choice of ordering/checking off the boxes to be more correct and then giving your order to a server rather than buying from the carts, the problem with carts with us is it takes too much time to dine, I don't know about others but I am usually not full leaving restaurants with the carts.
He didn't mean you often have that choice. HE meant that most dim-sum restaurants now don't even have carts and only use the sheet-based order system. The cart restaurants are in the minority.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
1058 posts
16 upvotes
I thought I have seen a thread like this somewhere...Here it is:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=617294

You can check it out for more recommendations...

I personally like Sam Woo Seafood restaurant at Bamburgh Circle. The pricing is average and they don't have carts but the quality is very consistent IMO.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
165 upvotes
GTA
slowtyper wrote: He didn't mean you often have that choice. HE meant that most dim-sum restaurants now don't even have carts and only use the sheet-based order system. The cart restaurants are in the minority.
There is a place on Sheppard, west of McCowan, I don't know what the name of the place is, my parents dragged me out there and I wasn't really paying attention. They serve from carts and we also ordered with the cheque system. I'll have to get the name of that place, their congee was one of the better one's I have tried and the dim sum was top notch.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12614 posts
2318 upvotes
wolverine07 wrote: There is a place on Sheppard, west of McCowan, I don't know what the name of the place is, my parents dragged me out there and I wasn't really paying attention. They serve from carts and we also ordered with the cheque system. I'll have to get the name of that place, their congee was one of the better one's I have tried and the dim sum was top notch.
I think all cart restaurants will allow you to order from a sheet (ask them if you don't see it).

The only cart place I go to anymore is Ginger and onion. Maybe its because I go late but I find the carts pretty slow so we just ask a server to bring certain dishes.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
1511 posts
31 upvotes
wolverine07 wrote: There is a place on Sheppard, west of McCowan, I don't know what the name of the place is, my parents dragged me out there and I wasn't really paying attention. They serve from carts and we also ordered with the cheque system. I'll have to get the name of that place, their congee was one of the better one's I have tried and the dim sum was top notch.
Sheppard + McCowan? or you mean West of Brimley?

If it's Sheppard/West of Brimley, I think you're talking about 'Perfect' Restaurant.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)