Pets

Best dog treat brands? No grain, soy, wheat, rice or corn!

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2017 12:29 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 21, 2014
465 posts
116 upvotes

Best dog treat brands? No grain, soy, wheat, rice or corn!

Which dog treats do you purchase that have no grain, soy, wheat, rice or corn?

I found this at PetSmart, it is Northern brand. They have Canadian Bacon with blueberry flavour, a pumpkin flavour, and a third flavour I forget. It may be sweet potato.

And the dogs really like it, but I should mention they are not picky eaters.

Any other hidden ones out there?
30 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5127 posts
653 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Bulk Barn. I was surprised to see it there, but they have grain free all natural cheddar, pumpkin, salmon, banana and peanut butter biscuits (a few others too depending on the store). My dogs weren't crazy about the peanut butter, but they loved the cheddar.

Ingredients
(salmon) Salmon, yellow peas, chickpeas, dried potatoes, carrots, salmon oil, cane molasses, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, blueberries, cranberries, dried whole egg, kelp, ascorbic acid rosemary extract.
(pumpkin) Pumpkin, dried potatoes, dried sweet potatoes, yellow peas, canola oil, cane molasses, carrots, apples, cranberries, blueberries, annatto extract, rosemary extract.
(cheddar) Dried cheddar cheese powder, dried potatoes, dried sweet potatoes, yellow peas, chicken fat, cane molasses, carrots, apples, cranberries, blueberries, annatto extract, rosemary extract.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
437 upvotes
One thing to watch out for if your pup is so inclined....

Our 13 year old dog stopped eating his poop several years ago (not as many years ago as one would think - Eskies do not really mature). Two weeks ago I bought him a different holistic cookie. I guess he liked the taste of his poop enhanced by the beef and blueberries in the cookies. I mentioned to my husband that our guy had started doing this again (husband had been away for 2 days) and he said that he had noticed the same thing but had forgotten to mention it to me. It all started with the new cookies - that he loves, but then he loves everything. He also loves fresh blueberries and actually has to chew them due to their shape - the delight on his face.

I tried an experiment using one of his other special cookies - no poop eating. Tried the beef and blueberries again - eating of the poop began again. He is able to pivot very quickly - so we have been ready with his poop bag. While he loves the cookies, we will be buying a different variety as soon as they are finished. He has 2 types of special cookies - the first does not cause an issue - so I think we will go back to his previous second type - Thinkers. Although he does not need any help with his "thinking".
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
5322 posts
599 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
You can't beat the liver treats at Costco for price and quality - it's just liver, nothing else.

Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5127 posts
653 upvotes
South of Ottawa
newt_101 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 11:02 am
You can't beat the liver treats at Costco for price and quality - it's just liver, nothing else.

I will never ever feed my dog anything that is made in China.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
5322 posts
599 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Beachdown wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 3:28 pm
I don't understand your point - these are made in the US
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3447 posts
375 upvotes
Richmond Hill
my dog considers any food to be a treat.
If you like me, i will like you back, on this forum
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
2947 posts
999 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Our dogs love the freeze dried bison treats from Orijen. And any of the freeze dried liver treats (can't remember brands, but they are just plain freeze dried liver bites).

For their teeth I give them Vet Solutions Enzadent chews which they go mental for. These were recommended by our vetrinary clinic as most dogs really love them (and I can't brush my dog's teeth since he won't let me near his teeth lol). I order them from Entirely Pets in the states (I have found them the cheapest even with the exchange/shipping). I will order 8-10 bags at a time. I get the medium sized ones for our 2 Jack Russells.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5127 posts
653 upvotes
South of Ottawa
newt_101 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 3:39 pm
I don't understand your point - these are made in the US
No, they are not. They are made in China for distribution in the U.S. and Canada.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
5322 posts
599 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Beachdown wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 5:47 pm
No, they are not. They are made in China for distribution in the U.S. and Canada.
I feel stupid arguing with someone online, but it is 100% made in the US. You are confusing the jerky with the liver bites.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4276 posts
184 upvotes
Beachdown wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 5:47 pm
So, are you claiming that they're made in China AND that the labelling that says '100% Made in USA' is also a lie?

Sounds like a paranoid conspiracy theorist :D

+1 on the 500g bag of 100% beef liver treats sold at Costco.
Apr 25, 2011
590 posts
202 upvotes
British Columbia
I've never seen those at Costco but I buy the PureBites freeze dried liver which the dogs and cats love.

Occassionally I buy bully sticks and buy Zuke's minis too (no corn, wheat or soy) for easy treats.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5127 posts
653 upvotes
South of Ottawa
newt_101 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 5:53 pm
I feel stupid arguing with someone online, but it is 100% made in the US. You are confusing the jerky with the liver bites.
Perhaps I am (my apologies if so). However consider that despite being labelled "100% made in the USA", they could very likely source the ingredient from China (where most of their treats are made). When a petfood company is not transparent about their manufacturing processes like this company, it is worrisome.
amz155 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 5:59 pm
So, are you claiming that they're made in China AND that the labelling that says '100% Made in USA' is also a lie?

Sounds like a paranoid conspiracy theorist :D

+1 on the 500g bag of 100% beef liver treats sold at Costco.
100% made in USA does not mean the ingredients are from there.
Conspiracy? No. Just the normal course of business for pet food manufacturers.
Feb 19, 2017
30 posts
5 upvotes
Beachdown wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 3:28 pm
It says 100% made in USA. How did you say it's made in China?
Feb 19, 2017
30 posts
5 upvotes
Beachdown wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 1:22 am
100% made in USA does not mean the ingredients are from there.
Conspiracy? No. Just the normal course of business for pet food manufacturers.
Oh how sure are you? :)