Pets

Best dog treat brands? No grain, soy, wheat, rice or corn!

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 15th, 2017 11:04 am
Tags:
Jul 7, 2005
403 posts
49 upvotes
My dog has a glass stomach, so far Zuke's, PureBites, Richmond Valley Farms, bullysticks, tendons and dried lungs work well for me or I dehydrate my own jerky for her, basically anything "organic" for the f'n princess that also doubles as a champion chewer. Bullysticks.ca for all the dried stinky treats.

I've tried the BlueBuffalo, Orijen, Merricks, Wellness etc. they all give her runny stool.
Oh yeah and string cheese is her high value, if she doesn't eat this I know for sure her tummy isn't doing to well.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
5229 posts
579 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Beachdown wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 1:22 am
Perhaps I am (my apologies if so). However consider that despite being labelled "100% made in the USA", they could very likely source the ingredient from China (where most of their treats are made). When a petfood company is not transparent about their manufacturing processes like this company, it is worrisome.

100% made in USA does not mean the ingredients are from there.
Conspiracy? No. Just the normal course of business for pet food manufacturers.
I don't understand how you think. It's one ingredient and made in the USA - simple.
You on the other hand are recommending something you found at Bulk Barn, with no 'proof' it's locally made and and with multiple ingredients.

The 'right' thing to do would be to simply add to a creative discussion instead of throwing nonsense around.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2891 posts
422 upvotes
newt_101 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 8:09 am
I don't understand how you think. It's one ingredient and made in the USA - simple.
You on the other hand are recommending something you found at Bulk Barn, with no 'proof' it's locally made and and with multiple ingredients.

The 'right' thing to do would be to simply add to a creative discussion instead of throwing nonsense around.
I agree with Beachdown. Many products indicate that they are made in the U.S. but the ingredients are actually sourced from China or some other place (other than Canada). This includes as we all know food packaging that reads Product of Canada, whereas 49% of the product is sourced from China or the packaging is larger than the contents and the % not made in Canada is even greater.

I contacted both our dog's pet food maker directly and also food manufacturers and was extremely clear as to where the ingredients were sourced - not the final product once made.

Our dog's food is fine - made in the U.S. of products sourced in the U.S. - I check from time to time as does as the groomer I buy it from. She feeds her dogs the same food as I do.

I will no longer purchase certain human food products based on the answers I received.

I also would prefer that people not suggest that others are "throwing nonsense around". People can certainly disagree without being rude about it. Beachdown is not a troll - others are and some posts are absolutely ridiculous.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
5229 posts
579 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Blanche123 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 9:36 am
I also would prefer that people not suggest that others are "throwing nonsense around". People can certainly disagree without being rude about it. Beachdown is not a troll - others are and some posts are absolutely ridiculous.
The product I listed above is made in the US from US-ingredients.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
3302 posts
333 upvotes
we only give our dog dehydrated raw treats like salmon tails, chicken neck, duck feet, beef liver.

We get them from our supplier who charges like $60 for 2 huge freezer size ziploc bag. lasts him about 2-3 months
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4271 posts
183 upvotes
Beachdown wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 1:22 am
Perhaps I am (my apologies if so). However consider that despite being labelled "100% made in the USA", they could very likely source the ingredient from China (where most of their treats are made). When a petfood company is not transparent about their manufacturing processes like this company, it is worrisome.

100% made in USA does not mean the ingredients are from there.
Conspiracy? No. Just the normal course of business for pet food manufacturers.
But it doesn't mean that the ingredients are NOT from there, right?

Where did you find out that the company is not transparent about their manufacturing processes? Could you share a link or what you found? Are you referring to Celebrity?
[OP]
Aug 21, 2014
460 posts
116 upvotes
Dauphin, MB
Merrick Power Bites also are no soy, wheat, etc and I buy from Pet Valu. Anyone else buy this?

In other news, skimming this thread sounds like some food is still from China despite what the label implies, I must research this further!
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1053 posts
172 upvotes
Vancouver
Beachdown wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 12:41 am
Bulk Barn. I was surprised to see it there, but they have grain free all natural cheddar, pumpkin, salmon, banana and peanut butter biscuits (a few others too depending on the store). My dogs weren't crazy about the peanut butter, but they loved the cheddar.

Ingredients
(salmon) Salmon, yellow peas, chickpeas, dried potatoes, carrots, salmon oil, cane molasses, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, blueberries, cranberries, dried whole egg, kelp, ascorbic acid rosemary extract.
(pumpkin) Pumpkin, dried potatoes, dried sweet potatoes, yellow peas, canola oil, cane molasses, carrots, apples, cranberries, blueberries, annatto extract, rosemary extract.
(cheddar) Dried cheddar cheese powder, dried potatoes, dried sweet potatoes, yellow peas, chicken fat, cane molasses, carrots, apples, cranberries, blueberries, annatto extract, rosemary extract.
My lab who is on a grain free diet loves the salmon ones. They actually smell like salmon where other biscuits don't. My go to high value treat is dried lamb lungs. I can get all Canadian ones at Petsmart. They are like crack to him.
Jun 27, 2009
156 posts
3 upvotes
how is the quality of the ones at bullysticks.ca?? i've only bought the Rollover super beef chews for my Min Pin and she loves them
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5111 posts
651 upvotes
South of Ottawa
BeNiceAllTime wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 1:51 am
Oh how sure are you? :)
Of what? That per food manufacturers aren't entirely forthcoming about what they sell? Yes, I'm 100% sure.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5111 posts
651 upvotes
South of Ottawa
amz155 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 7:01 pm
But it doesn't mean that the ingredients are NOT from there, right?

Where did you find out that the company is not transparent about their manufacturing processes? Could you share a link or what you found? Are you referring to Celebrity?
No, it doesn't mean the ingredients are from there. It's a gamble.

Yes, I'm referring to Celebrity. With a few exceptions, their treats are made in China and they claim their American manufacturing plant is USDA inspected. This is nothing nore than boilerplate language for 2nd tier manufacturers. USA inspected means nothing. Pet food is 100% unregulated (or I should say self-regulated). Companies that are using North American ingredients only, and manufacture in North America, will plaster the information everywhere as it is a big selling point.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5111 posts
651 upvotes
South of Ottawa
newt_101 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 8:09 am

Really. My proof is the call to Bulk Barn to ask the questions.

Nonsense? It's years of research and participation in regulatory committees. Please feel free to add your experience that is not anecdotal.

The fact is the pet food industry, especially U.S. based manufacturing is not entirely truthful about what goes into their products, and where it may come from. They are self regulated and report to no one except the consumer. If you don't have a problem feeding your pet a treat that is made by the same company who makes 99% of their other products in China, then feel free.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4271 posts
183 upvotes
Beachdown wrote:
Apr 10th, 2017 6:40 pm
No, it doesn't mean the ingredients are from there. It's a gamble.

Yes, I'm referring to Celebrity. With a few exceptions, their treats are made in China and they claim their American manufacturing plant is USDA inspected. This is nothing nore than boilerplate language for 2nd tier manufacturers. USA inspected means nothing. Pet food is 100% unregulated (or I should say self-regulated). Companies that are using North American ingredients only, and manufacture in North America, will plaster the information everywhere as it is a big selling point.
Thanks. Can you post some sources or links? I'd really like to look up more about this.

What treats do you suggest?
Jul 11, 2011
643 posts
351 upvotes
Ontario
My bag of Chewmaster Liver Bites from Costco clearly has a 'Made in Canada' logo on it -- as does the bag in the picture shown on page one of this thread (look above the cow).

Where are you folks reading the 'Made in USA' part??
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel