Pets

Best dog treat brands? No grain, soy, wheat, rice or corn!

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2017 11:19 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
3466 posts
398 upvotes
we give our dog only dehydrated salmon tail, duck feet, beef liver, beef lung, or chicken feet.

we get them locally from someone that dehydrates them and for way cheaper than dehydrated treats from pet stores.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1321 posts
29 upvotes
Karala wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 6:18 pm
I've never seen those at Costco but I buy the PureBites freeze dried liver which the dogs and cats love.

Occassionally I buy bully sticks and buy Zuke's minis too (no corn, wheat or soy) for easy treats.
I buy PureBites and Benny Bully's. I wouldn't trust something from Costco being made in Canada or the USA - I agree with the other poster who was arguing with those guys.
hebsie wrote:
Apr 15th, 2017 11:04 am
My bag of Chewmaster Liver Bites from Costco clearly has a 'Made in Canada' logo on it -- as does the bag in the picture shown on page one of this thread (look above the cow).

Where are you folks reading the 'Made in USA' part??
nx6288 wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 12:29 pm
we give our dog only dehydrated salmon tail, duck feet, beef liver, beef lung, or chicken feet.

we get them locally from someone that dehydrates them and for way cheaper than dehydrated treats from pet stores.
Thats' a good deal.... But, not everyone has their own supplier. :)

The pet stores have some 'suppliers' who sell freeze dried liver - clear bags with some writing/logo at the top or Benny Bully's or PureBites.... I don't know anything about Costco having anything similar and the pet store I go to said not to trust Costco brands - 'said pet owners have said their dog got upset stomachs and went back to a more reputable brand. It's best if you can get it yourself like poster above, though, but that's not accessible to everyone. Unfortunately...
amz155 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 7:01 pm
But it doesn't mean that the ingredients are NOT from there, right?

Where did you find out that the company is not transparent about their manufacturing processes? Could you share a link or what you found? Are you referring to Celebrity?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2659 posts
620 upvotes
NORTH YORK
nx6288 wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 12:29 pm

Several years ago I bought a cheap dehydrator from Canadian Tire for around $50, and it's incredibly easy to make your own dog snacks. We just buy thin beef strips from meat counter at local grocery store, throw in the dehydrator for 8 hours, and you have great dog snacks with zero added anything else. We have a very small dog so just a couple pounds of beef will last her for several months.

No idea how it would work for other meat products as I've never tried.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4524 posts
247 upvotes
teleguitar wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 2:17 pm
I buy PureBites and Benny Bully's. I wouldn't trust something from Costco being made in Canada or the USA - I agree with the other poster who was arguing with those guys.

Thats' a good deal.... But, not everyone has their own supplier. :)

The pet stores have some 'suppliers' who sell freeze dried liver - clear bags with some writing/logo at the top or Benny Bully's or PureBites.... I don't know anything about Costco having anything similar and the pet store I go to said not to trust Costco brands - 'said pet owners have said their dog got upset stomachs and went back to a more reputable brand. It's best if you can get it yourself like poster above, though, but that's not accessible to everyone. Unfortunately...
But people saying things like 'don't trust Costco brands' or saying that the info on the labeling is a lie, is just opinion and speculation. Anyone could say that about any brand, right? I give my dogs the liver that I buy from Costco and they don't have any issues with upset tummies. Why is a statement like 'don't trust Costco brands' any more trustworthy than 'Costco brands are fine'? I'm genuinely curious. I've asked PP to show proof that the liver from Costco is bad or that the labeling is incorrect with respect to origin...and none was given.