Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2006
2928 posts
166 upvotes
Montreal

Best dry-food for adult dogs ?

Every vet/site seems to recommend different.
I am looking for the best all-around dry adult dog food.
I was there at the 32$ price error at dell.ca day AND at the 150$ off price error at fs.ca
RFD price error moto: "Buy now, think later." -Ahzuz
34 replies
Jan 23, 2012
144 posts
43 upvotes
Ilderton, ON
Costco.ca now sells a couple of foods that look very good - Satori and Vintage, both made in Canada with quality ingredients. They seem to rival what Acana/Orijin used to be before they became too big. I would avoid anything sold by the vet (ie Iams, Science Diet and Royal Canin) which range from poor quality to extremely overpriced. If you really want to feed the best possible diet, consider feeding raw.
Aug 1, 2006
119 posts
41 upvotes
I would say grain free Carna4 duck is the best kibble on the market. You can buy it at Global Pet Foods. Carna4 is the only kibble recommended by holistic vet Dr. Becker. Of course you are best off with frozen raw, then dehydrated raw is second best.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2006
2928 posts
166 upvotes
Montreal
I'm feeding him Acana chicken since about 2-3 years he's doing well but has flaky dry skin all the time and I heard Acana quality went down the drain during the last year I'm not sure if it's true or not. I have tried Orijen pour its too protein rich for my boy. I heard about Wellness and Merrick, but those are hard to find in Canada.

I will check Carna4 thanks, any other inputs are appreciated
I was there at the 32$ price error at dell.ca day AND at the 150$ off price error at fs.ca
RFD price error moto: "Buy now, think later." -Ahzuz
Jan 23, 2017
754 posts
601 upvotes
Calgary
The Nature's Domain (Kirkland brand) foods at Costco are by far the best value for quality I've found.

We feed our dog the salmon and sweet potato variety. She's a picky eater but devours it.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
18713 posts
6892 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I feed Orijen but they just raised their prices again and that's the last straw. $100 god damn dollars for 25 lbs of food.

Once I get my free bag I'm switching over to nutrience sub zero.
deleted to keep the site family friendly. Was about copping sick fadez.
Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory
RIP sick fadez.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
4528 posts
208 upvotes
North York
Notme666 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 10:39 am
Costco.ca now sells a couple of foods that look very good - Satori and Vintage, both made in Canada with quality ingredients. They seem to rival what Acana/Orijin used to be before they became too big. I would avoid anything sold by the vet (ie Iams, Science Diet and Royal Canin) which range from poor quality to extremely overpriced. If you really want to feed the best possible diet, consider feeding raw.
I’m currently feeding my 6 month old puppy Orijen Puppy mix and we’re only about 3 or 4 bags away from getting a free one and then switching to a different sku/size/type.

Can you explain what has happened with Orijen? I’m also feeding my cat Orijen kitten food and now I’m wondering has happened with them.

Join the RedFlagDeals Club on Xbox Live!

Heatware
[72 - 0 - 0]
Aug 1, 2006
119 posts
41 upvotes
OKSpring wrote:
Feb 4th, 2018 12:27 pm
The Nature's Domain (Kirkland brand) foods at Costco are by far the best value for quality I've found.

We feed our dog the salmon and sweet potato variety. She's a picky eater but devours it.
Nature's Domain is made by Diamond pet foods, which has had many recalls on their products over the years.
Jan 23, 2017
754 posts
601 upvotes
Calgary
Bull Dog wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:43 pm
Nature's Domain is made by Diamond pet foods, which has had many recalls on their products over the years.
There hasn't been a recall on the food I buy our dog in her lifetime, over half a decade.

It's still a top rated food, at half the price or less of brand names.
Aug 1, 2006
119 posts
41 upvotes
OKSpring wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 11:29 pm
There hasn't been a recall on the food I buy our dog in her lifetime, over half a decade.

Most holistic veterinarians will tell you dogs should not be fed only fish protein long term since it's not what wolves would eat in the wild. You can pay less for dog food now but chances are you will pay more for vet bills later, especially if you have an allergic bulldog like mine. I mostly use raw dog food, but Carna4 duck ( not the chicken one which has grains ) is the only dry dog food I will use

Check out the ingredients of Nature's Domain Salmon and Potato compared to Carna4 Duck:

Nature's Domain Salmon and Potato
Salmon meal, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, ocean fish meal, tomato pomace, flaxseed, natural flavor, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus reuteri fermentation product, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Carna4 Duck
Duck, pork liver, eggs, ground organic sprouted barley seed, herring, ground fava beans, sweet potato, ground organic sprouted flaxseed, ground organic sprouted lentils, ground organic sprouted peas, potato starch, apples, carrots, sea salt,
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3350 posts
595 upvotes
London
OKSpring wrote:
Feb 4th, 2018 12:27 pm

Same, the only thing that doesn't result in soft serve poops.
OKSpring wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 11:29 pm

Agree.
Bull Dog wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 7:45 pm
Most holistic veterinarians will tell you dogs should not be fed only fish protein long term since it's not what wolves would eat in the wild. You can pay less for dog food now but chances are you will pay more for vet bills later, especially if you have an allergic bulldog like mine. I mostly use raw dog food, but Carna4 duck ( not the chicken one which has grains ) is the only dry dog food I will use

Check out the ingredients of Nature's Domain Salmon and Potato compared to Carna4 Duck:

Nature's Domain Salmon and Potato
Salmon meal, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, ocean fish meal, tomato pomace, flaxseed, natural flavor, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus reuteri fermentation product, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Carna4 Duck
Duck, pork liver, eggs, ground organic sprouted barley seed, herring, ground fava beans, sweet potato, ground organic sprouted flaxseed, ground organic sprouted lentils, ground organic sprouted peas, potato starch, apples, carrots, sea salt,
That is great, however it's the only thing she will eat and that will not give her runny stools and itchy skin. Her insides don't respect your cut and paste apparently :(
Jan 23, 2017
754 posts
601 upvotes
Calgary
Bull Dog wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 7:45 pm

. . .
Her diet isn't restricted to the food she eats twice a day, she's far more spoiled than that..

Bison treats are up there on her list, as are an occasional pork variety.

I'm a believer in moderation, and there are far too many people giving advice on raw diets these days that are totally unqualified to so much as brush my dogs coat.

At the end of the day, these are animals. I spoil mine at every chance, but these dog food producers in Canada are laughing consumers all the way to the bank. Good business to be in, nearly all buying decisions are emotional.

I could easily spend more on my dog's dietary needs than my own grocery bill annually. Neither of us have allergies, medications, etc. That's when you know you're being had.
Aug 1, 2006
119 posts
41 upvotes
OKSpring wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 9:16 pm
Her diet isn't restricted to the food she eats twice a day, she's far more spoiled than that..

Bison treats are up there on her list, as are an occasional pork variety.

I'm a believer in moderation, and there are far too many people giving advice on raw diets these days that are totally unqualified to so much as brush my dogs coat.

At the end of the day, these are animals. I spoil mine at every chance, but these dog food producers in Canada are laughing consumers all the way to the bank. Good business to be in, nearly all buying decisions are emotional.

I could easily spend more on my dog's dietary needs than my own grocery bill annually. Neither of us have allergies, medications, etc. That's when you know you're being had.
I estimate feeding frozen ground raw to my dog of NatuRAWls turkey that I bought in a box containing 6 x 2 pound chubs costs me about 67.00 per month, which I don't consider a lot of money. Since she has been on it she has shed less and has stopped licking her paws and has a lot fewer poos. Before that I had tried Orijen, Acana, Actr1um, and Presidents Choice and all were bad for her allergies. Maybe I'm not qualified to brush your dog or teach you about raw food, but it works for me and a lot of other dog owners with allergic dogs.
Jan 23, 2017
754 posts
601 upvotes
Calgary
Bull Dog wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 10:05 pm
I estimate feeding frozen ground raw to my dog of NatuRAWls turkey that I bought in a box containing 6 x 2 pound chubs costs me about 67.00 per month, which I don't consider a lot of money. Since she has been on it she has shed less and has stopped licking her paws and has a lot fewer poos. Before that I had tried Orijen, Acana, Actr1um, and Presidents Choice and all were bad for her allergies. Maybe I'm not qualified to brush your dog or teach you about raw food, but it works for me and a lot of other dog owners with allergic dogs.
Can't knock you for doing what works with your bully. Happy to hear you found something that doesn't trigger allergies!

How much does he weigh/how active a dog?

Less food is often required on raw, but my dog is an active Rottie/GSD mix. Id be looking at way over $100/month, plus a new small fridge to stock the stuff haha. Just not in the cards.
Aug 1, 2006
119 posts
41 upvotes
OKSpring wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 11:43 pm
Can't knock you for doing what works with your bully. Happy to hear you found something that doesn't trigger allergies!

How much does he weigh/how active a dog?

Less food is often required on raw, but my dog is an active Rottie/GSD mix. Id be looking at way over $100/month, plus a new small fridge to stock the stuff haha. Just not in the cards.
My french bulldog weighs about 30 pounds, and isn't active, so I just need to feed about 2% of her weight, or about 0.6 pounds a day. I just buy really small quantities from the local Global Foods, but luckily I have an extra freezer to throw it in. The other bonus has been very small poos with the frozen raw, compared to feeding her the dehydrated raw which had a lot of fiber and produced 2-3 big poos a day.