• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2018 12:38 pm
Tags:
Aug 1, 2006
109 posts
39 upvotes
OKSpring wrote:
Feb 4th, 2018 12:27 pm
The Nature's Domain (Kirkland brand) foods at Costco are by far the best value for quality I've found.

We feed our dog the salmon and sweet potato variety. She's a picky eater but devours it.
Another reason I just thought of not to feed your dog this food is that it doesn't specify wild or farmed salmon. I would hate to feed my dog farmed salmon, it's not very healthy.
Jan 23, 2017
731 posts
518 upvotes
Calgary
Bull Dog wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 8:17 pm
Another reason I just thought of not to feed your dog this food is that it doesn't specify wild or farmed salmon. I would hate to feed my dog farmed salmon, it's not very healthy.
Coming from an Atlantic fisherman's family, I don't disagree. The issue is the nutrients just aren't there in farmed fish as a whole compared to wild.

But what do you expect when the fish are swimming in and eating one another's waste..

My point with the value proposition of Nature's Domain is that for the price, you will not find anything else of comparable quality. Not everyone has the budget to afford $150+/month on pet food, and that's okay.

When disposable income increases, one of the first benefits tends to be the quality of food people eat.
Jul 22, 2015
203 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You should move away from dry food and start feeding raw food if you have time to get the products or just purchase raw frozen. Both my dogs have nicer looking skin (less flaky), poop less and drink water less.
Jul 24, 2016
3 posts
1 upvote
TL:DR It honestly depends on the dog and money constraints. As in the breed, size, activity level, and special considerations. Some do well on expensive fully raw, while others can do well on good quality kibble. Avoid buying vet food as much as possible, most are overly expensive/crudy quality in comparison to food with similar nutritional levels. Get checkups and blood-work done regularly at the vets to make sure that the dog is doing well.

My 10(ish) year old beagle has been diabetic and blind since she collapsed on our doorstep and is moderately active (two hour stroll every evening). She needs a lower carb food and insulin to help manage glucose levels. At first she was on the prescription Royal Canin diabetic food that is expensive $70 crap, made her underweight (anymore than 2cups daily made her levels go all over the place even when trying to adjust insulin). After two years of that I moved and changed vets and was recommended the Kirkland Healthy Weight dog food, which has similar levels of protien and carbs but more fat, and her glucose levels are stable and her weight is at 15kg again.

My other dog is a 4 year old mix of husky/german shepherd/saint Bernard(?) who is a whopping 72kg. He is extremely active (6+ hours of outside activity). Due to money constraints (university student... these were family pets, do not get a dog if you are already a student), half of his food is the Kirkland food and half is homemade raw with veggies mixed in as treats. He does better on higher protein and fat food, and is not overweight.
Both dogs go to the vets for checkups and blood-work at least every six months, and are in good shape if you do not consider the diabetes and blindness issue. Both are at healthy weights, are active enough if one considers the age differences, and are happy.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1296 posts
723 upvotes
Ottawa
Costco Nature's Domain. Don't get the salmon kind, but rather the turkey or beef kind. They also have organic chicken one for $10 more.
"Those who return to Canada after leaving to fight for ISIS can be an extraordinarily powerful voice for preventing radicalization in the future." - Prime Minister Justin Trudeau
Apr 25, 2011
786 posts
336 upvotes
British Columbia
cheeroky6 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 5:51 pm
Both dogs go to the vets for checkups and blood-work at least every six months
I can understand your diabetic dog needing more regular checkups and fructosamine levels checked (make sure they have been getting the insulin twice daily every day for two weeks beforehand)... especially if the dog does not seem stable on the current dosage, then you would be in often for blood sugar monitoring as well... But a healthy 4 year old dog does NOT require bi-annual bloodwork. Frankly, I don't believe it requires any bloodwork at all. I haven't heard of such a practise. When a dog gets older, getting some baseline lab work is not a bad idea however.

As for the topic at hand, there are many kibble brands avaiable and I would suggest doing your own research in selecting what is best for your dog and your budget. A food that may work great on one dog may not be so great on another, especially if there are underlying allergies, GI issues, etc.

Exercise is essential as well, higher quality food often is higher in calories and so they can be fed much less. I find many people don't know how to tell if their dog is overweight. Most dogs these days don't have a defined waist. If someone can spot their dogs ribs in the slightest it must be "emaciated"... Alas.
Jan 2, 2018
7 posts
23 upvotes
That’s good your dogs are doing better on raw food; however, I still don’t believe there is any scientific data to back a raw diet to date in dogs.

The push for raw dog food has become a fad like purchasing farm fresh milk unpasteurized.

There has been studies that show while wolves and dogs are similar dogs have evolved to be able to effectively digest carbohydrates. The idea that dogs eat like wolves is a bit silly when you realize that early humans domesticated dogs and fed them there cooked scraps. Dogs have evolved as humans have done to be able to process different foods.

I know there is at least one study where several commercial raw diets were purchased from several different brands on different dates. No brands are named, but it found 50%+ commercial raw food contaminated with salmonella. Might be obvious, but since the bacteria lives on in the dogs mouth and in the dogs poop it’s likely not ideal for families with small kids/babies.

With that out of the way if you have time then toss a weeks worth of food in a crock pot. Tons of recipes online and you can pick what if any carbs to include.

I believe Orijen is also still made in Canada. I’ve got a puppy on there chow and the bag still lists made in Canada. Renspets I believe sells Merrick food if you have one near by.
Feb 24, 2018
14 posts
Acana & Orijin are my dog's all time favorite.
each flavour with different mix of ingredients, its really depends on what your puppy/dog need at the moment/stage. Is it for skin, or dental, weight control, bones, etc..

Or try to make some homemade dog food, it'd fun and healthy too. :)
Aug 18, 2009
827 posts
280 upvotes
Toronto
Ahzuz wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 2:57 pm
I'm feeding him Acana chicken since about 2-3 years he's doing well but has flaky dry skin all the time and I heard Acana quality went down the drain during the last year I'm not sure if it's true or not. I have tried Orijen pour its too protein rich for my boy. I heard about Wellness and Merrick, but those are hard to find in Canada.

I will check Carna4 thanks, any other inputs are appreciated
I feed my dog Acana for puppies. Seems to work well. Curious as to where you heard that the quality has gone down?
Jan 16, 2007
764 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto
DTrain1 wrote:
Feb 19th, 2018 10:39 pm
That’s good your dogs are doing better on raw food; however, I still don’t believe there is any scientific data to back a raw diet to date in dogs.

The push for raw dog food has become a fad like purchasing farm fresh milk unpasteurized.

There has been studies that show while wolves and dogs are similar dogs have evolved to be able to effectively digest carbohydrates. The idea that dogs eat like wolves is a bit silly when you realize that early humans domesticated dogs and fed them there cooked scraps. Dogs have evolved as humans have done to be able to process different foods.

I know there is at least one study where several commercial raw diets were purchased from several different brands on different dates. No brands are named, but it found 50%+ commercial raw food contaminated with salmonella. Might be obvious, but since the bacteria lives on in the dogs mouth and in the dogs poop it’s likely not ideal for families with small kids/babies.

With that out of the way if you have time then toss a weeks worth of food in a crock pot. Tons of recipes online and you can pick what if any carbs to include.

I believe Orijen is also still made in Canada. I’ve got a puppy on there chow and the bag still lists made in Canada. Renspets I believe sells Merrick food if you have one near by.
Recently switch to raw. Only downside is I don't let my dog lick my face anymore after each meal. So sad. Everything else remains the same. As for the benefits to his health, I don't see any difference yet.
Aug 1, 2006
109 posts
39 upvotes
NubNub wrote:
Feb 26th, 2018 2:01 pm
Recently switch to raw. Only downside is I don't let my dog lick my face anymore after each meal. So sad. Everything else remains the same. As for the benefits to his health, I don't see any difference yet.
I think main dog owners who see benefit are the ones with allergic dogs. You get a lot less allergies showing up as paw licking and ear infections.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1213 posts
244 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
OKSpring wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 10:28 pm
My point with the value proposition of Nature's Domain is that for the price, you will not find anything else of comparable quality. Not everyone has the budget to afford $150+/month on pet food, and that's okay.

When disposable income increases, one of the first benefits tends to be the quality of food people eat.
I've been feeding my Mini Labradoodle Nature's Domain for about a year. I alternate between the blue and red bag. My dog seems happy and healthy.

I'm also not claiming this is the best food, but to me, it appears to be a good balance between quality and cost.
Jan 4, 2010
70 posts
26 upvotes
Niagara Region
If you like Nature's Domain, try Pulsar by Horizon. Price per feed is comparable and it's a family owned company in Saskatchewan that sources their ingredients regionally. They've never had a recall in their history.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2006
2928 posts
166 upvotes
Montreal
VertigoM wrote:
Feb 26th, 2018 10:11 am
I feed my dog Acana for puppies. Seems to work well. Curious as to where you heard that the quality has gone down?
go check dogfoodadvisor.com , comments section of the Acana review... people are flaming the company big big time.. not sure if it's all real comments or fake (paid by a competitior)
I was there at the 32$ price error at dell.ca day AND at the 150$ off price error at fs.ca
RFD price error moto: "Buy now, think later." -Ahzuz