• Jun 12th, 2018 2:48 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 25, 2012
142 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto

best dry/wet cat food

my cat is 10 years old. has had a few teeth removed and some hairball issues. generally is in good health.
lately he's been shedding a LOT.

throughout most of his life, he was eating Felidea dry food.
They changed their name to Canidea a few years ago so we switched him over.

Last year I wanted to switch him to a more readily available brand so I moved him to Science diet.
After removing some of his teeth I wanted him to try wet food so I bought a few different types and he liked fancy feast chicken pate.

in the last few months he stopped eating the wet food, so we stopped buying it.
lately i tried it again and he loved it so we started getting it again.

after recent extreme shedding I am thinking it is due to food.
I went to pet valu and they promoted their own brand performatrin over science diet.

I understand science diet is supposed to be one of the best quality foods maybe comparable to Nutro?
But if the cheap fancy feast is causing his shedding or may cause other health issues, I don't want to continue to feed him this.

So I am looking for the best dry and wet food that I should put him on.
Again, he's 10 yr old himalayan indoor cat.

Thanks
4 replies
Apr 25, 2011
807 posts
348 upvotes
British Columbia
It is shedding season. There will be hair. Brush more.

As far as food, the best food is what your cat will eat and what agrees with your cat. There are lots of high end brands but Science Diet and Fancy Feast are not either of them.

Learn to read ingredient labels; the higher on the list the more of it is in the food. You do not want byproducts in food. You do not need vegetables or any sort of carbohydrate in cat food as they are carivores. You do not need peas in cat food, escpecially as they are high in plant based protien, which cats do not need and as they skew the protein percentage (it doesn't differentiate between plant and meat based ingredients). Roughly the top 10 ingredients are the main ones in a food. Look for meat based products as the top 3 ingredients etc. etc.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3755 posts
677 upvotes
Toronto
saimakhan11 wrote:
Apr 30th, 2018 12:39 pm
I went to pet valu and they promoted their own brand performatrin over science diet.

I understand science diet is supposed to be one of the best quality foods maybe comparable to Nutro?
But if the cheap fancy feast is causing his shedding or may cause other health issues, I don't want to continue to feed him this.
I'd recommend Performatrin (especially Performatrin Ultra), or mostly any other food, over Science Diet too. Science Diet is not at all close to a premium food in my opinion.

Performatrin Ultra (grain free) is decent, if Pet Valu is convenient for you. I would try getting a few of the smallest cans of it in a few flavours, and seeing what your cat likes. If he doesn't like it, they will probably be willing to exchange it for something else.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1416 posts
788 upvotes
Saudi Arabia
Karala wrote:
Apr 30th, 2018 1:48 pm
It is shedding season. There will be hair. Brush more.

As far as food, the best food is what your cat will eat and what agrees with your cat. There are lots of high end brands but Science Diet and Fancy Feast are not either of them.

Learn to read ingredient labels; the higher on the list the more of it is in the food. You do not want byproducts in food. You do not need vegetables or any sort of carbohydrate in cat food as they are carivores. You do not need peas in cat food, escpecially as they are high in plant based protien, which cats do not need and as they skew the protein percentage (it doesn't differentiate between plant and meat based ingredients). Roughly the top 10 ingredients are the main ones in a food. Look for meat based products as the top 3 ingredients etc. etc.
Many quality pet foods will include vegetables further down the list for both fiber and micronutrients. Meat byproducts and grains are the far bigger concern.
Make Trudeau a drama teacher again!
Jun 14, 2018
9 posts
2 upvotes
I use First Nutrition dry cat food. Not expensive and the ingredients are good