• Oct 13th, 2017 4:03 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
1152 posts
289 upvotes
Alberta

Best and easiest VPN to use for whole home

Hi everyone I have a kodi box that I am using (I live in the states now) and I suspect that my isp is throttling it, because it worked fine before but now it's very choppy and disconnects sometimes. I believe vpn is the answer the only issue is that I don't want to have to log in each time (kodi is on an android box). I want the VPN to be on the router so ALL devices connected to the wifi will automatically be on the VPN.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Or know how to log into the VPN when using my Android box?

Thanks in advance !
10 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11512 posts
1129 upvotes
Kanata
Get a vpn that uses the openVPN app, then you should be able to connect when you need to.
Otherwise you will have to configure VPN on your router to connect to your VPN provider.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
1152 posts
289 upvotes
Alberta
goofball wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 8:18 pm
Get a vpn that uses the openVPN app, then you should be able to connect when you need to.
Otherwise you will have to configure VPN on your router to connect to your VPN provider.
Ok thanks I was thinking of going with ipvanish since they have an android app and can download it on to my android box that runs kodi.
Sep 24, 2017
22 posts
69 upvotes
Private Internet Access (PIA) VPN has its own client (Android & Kodi) or you can use OpenVPN configs.
May 13, 2016
55 posts
112 upvotes
GTA
techytrev wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 8:56 am
Private Internet Access (PIA) VPN has its own client (Android & Kodi) or you can use OpenVPN configs.
I second this. I think it has up to 5 accounts at once plus Android app as well. I run it on my phone and Windows computers.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
1152 posts
289 upvotes
Alberta
I got PIA yesterday and downloaded the app on my box. All seems to be working great! Thanks
Jun 29, 2010
810 posts
176 upvotes
Will this act as a Canadian VPN that's IN Canada? Long story short, my ISP is in Kansas. I didn't know it when I signed up, but there you go.
I get all the US stuff but not Netflix.ca or Amazon Prime Canada-Only videos as it thinks I'm outside their viewing area.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26868 posts
6376 upvotes
GTHA
Psychopathetic wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 12:09 pm
Will this act as a Canadian VPN that's IN Canada? Long story short, my ISP is in Kansas. I didn't know it when I signed up, but there you go.
I get all the US stuff but not Netflix.ca or Amazon Prime Canada-Only videos as it thinks I'm outside their viewing area.
Yes, when you connect to Canadian servers.

PIA has 199 servers in Canada

See https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/network/#CA
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
1152 posts
289 upvotes
Alberta
Psychopathetic wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 12:09 pm
I'm actually located in Reno, Nevada and I believe my isp throttles me when using The kodi box, so hence why I got the vpn. Netflix does not work on it because it says that I am trying to access it via a vpn. So have to turn off the vpn when using Netflix so only get the American Netflix.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2531 posts
211 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
As far as I can tell this isn't compatible with my Bell home hub? Anyone have any luck?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5580 posts
1426 upvotes
hyperactiveme wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 4:08 pm
As far as I can tell this isn't compatible with my Bell home hub? Anyone have any luck?
I bought a router (Linksys) at Value Village for $4.99 - the router has 802.11N Wifi - put DD-WRT on it and configured it to run Private VPN with a US point of presence. I have all my Minix boxes + a home theatre PC connecting to it for streaming video (Kodi/Mobdro/Terrarium) and for torrenting I use the Private Internet Access App on my pc (I usually pick the Netherlands point of presence when I torrent).
I plugged the router into one of the wired LAN ports on my Bell Home Hub and it works fine.