Best elitpical to buy for home use?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2019 7:46 am
Tags:
Aug 14, 2014
949 posts
948 upvotes

Best elitpical to buy for home use?

So I'm a big/heavy guy, 6'4 and 290lbs. Want an elitpical to start using at home that has a place to put a phone/kindle to read while I workout.

Any good places that I can test/buy or any recommendations? Don't want to spend more then 1k after tax if possible, thanks!
6 replies
Sep 25, 2017
130 posts
107 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Forget the elliptical, get a Concept 2 rower. It's over your budget but worth the investment, and also has minimal impact on joints, just like the elliptical.

Before you purchase, I recommend going to the gym for a free session and trying it out (obviously say youre thinking of joining), comparing each piece of equipment and seeing how it feels to be on it or say 15-30 mins each.

The rower has good cost retention too so even if you dont like it after say 6 months, itll be worth around the same price as new. Buy an elliptical (especially as itll be non commercial at this price) for 1k and youll sell it on kijiji for about 200 on a lucky day.

Another thing too, it doesnt take up too much real estate as you can fold it and store it away, you can also easily move it round. I keep mine in the basement during winter, then in the garage during summer, if its a nice day, Ill row outdoors on the garage pad.

They go for 1249 on amazon and youll rarely see these on sale.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19736 posts
28627 upvotes
Vancouver
Have you actually tried one? If not, make sure you do before buying. I don't like elliptical machines at all, they feel totally unnatural to me. I'm happier on the treadmill or bike. You're also buying at the very worst time of year, it's a seller's bonanza right now. Start looking on craigslist in April or May when moving season starts, and new years' resolutions are long forgotten.
Mar 7, 2008
721 posts
196 upvotes
Leask
Octane elliptical! They are expensive but quality!

I have since switch to online cycling using zwift.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
I mainly due calisthenics and HIT but if I were to get a machine I would start with Versa Climber (not a fan of ellipticals)
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
How's the shopping going?

Maybe you can goto a gym that's empty all the time. Talk to the owner and ask if you could try an equipment out and if you like it, if you can buy it off of him or her or something.

Once the equipment is home, I wonder if you will actually use it. I have seen unused treadmills at home many times.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3731 posts
1526 upvotes
Woodbridge
I recently looked into several options for treadmills and eclipticals to replace our old worn out equipment and I haven't seen an ecliptical in your price range with a weight capacity of 290 or more.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)