• Jul 22nd, 2016 10:35 am
Tags:
None
Mar 15, 2014
37 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto

Best exercise?

I'm looking to start going to the gym for the summer as I will have loads of free time and not much else to do. I want to burn a lot of fat and lose a considerable amount of weight. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best exercise that burns the most calories?
49 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2012
3886 posts
1527 upvotes
Canada
compound exercises.

bench/dumbbell press, dips, pull-ups, bent-over rows, squats, deadlifts
Dec 13, 2013
369 posts
222 upvotes
Whitby, ON
Squats, lots of cardio...

There's no one best exercise... it really depends on what your fitness goals are, what part of your body you want to work on, and what you enjoy doing.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30057 upvotes
Center of Universe
AdamL041 wrote: I'm looking to start going to the gym for the summer as I will have loads of free time and not much else to do. I want to burn a lot of fat and lose a considerable amount of weight. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best exercise that burns the most calories?
Cardio!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9135 posts
2092 upvotes
interval training? i think thats what its called where you just do whatever maxed out and only rest for a few seconds. It'll be like a hot knife through butter!
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
2045 posts
918 upvotes
Elgin, ON
The best exercise is the exercise you enjoy.

It's summer. Go play outside. Go for a 100km bike ride. etc.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2006
1686 posts
999 upvotes
AdamL041 wrote: I want to burn a lot of fat and lose a considerable amount of weight. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best exercise that burns the most calories?
Food is the trump card. You can train as much you want but you can't outtrain a bad diet. If you just cut refine sugar from your diet, you can lose considerable weight without going to gym. Netflix has a documentary called Sugar Coated(watch it). We always been told that we are not exercising enough and eating too much fatty food. But the truth is we consume way too much sugar in our diet.

So if you want to embark a journey you have to change your life style. Less process food and moderate exercise and you are good to go. There are no quick fixes. Also muscle burns more calories and now a days 5 x 5 is new trend of exercising. You might want to check it out 5x5 Exercise
Jun 5, 2015
969 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto, ON
AdamL041 wrote: I'm looking to start going to the gym for the summer as I will have loads of free time and not much else to do. I want to burn a lot of fat and lose a considerable amount of weight. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best exercise that burns the most calories?
If losing weight is your goal, running is probably the best from my own experience , not on the treadmill , go to the park and run on trails
May 6, 2007
785 posts
301 upvotes
burpees is the best exercise, but people dont do them because they are hard.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Lift.

Burn fat build muscle and people won't be able to ask you do u evn lift.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10717 posts
5522 upvotes
Toronto
get a personal trainer...who will follow you around and slap any crap out of your hand that you try to shove down your piehole.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3097 posts
474 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
badsha wrote: compound exercises.

bench/dumbbell press, dips, pull-ups, bent-over rows, squats, deadlifts
this plus interval training (ie sprint walk sprint walk - think soccer).

You don't even need a lot of weights to get started.
Get something that weighs about 35lbs or more, give it a hug and do some squats. Find a kettle ball on kijiji. Maybe some dumb bells too.
Curl your weight. Lift it over your head many times in different directions. Feel the burn!
Do pushups, a lot. At least 100 every day. Do 10 every hour. Challenge friends and coworkers to a pushup contest at least every day. It only takes a few minutes to find a victor unless you are all meatheads.
Don't be ashamed to lose as long as you are honestly attempting to win.
Do pull ups at the jungle gym in your nearest schoolyard.
Sprint walk spring on your way there and back.
Doing more than nothing is way more than the average.
You don't need too much detail to get started. If you feel muscles burning, you are burning calories. Push your limits. You'll see a pay off in a few weeks if you don't treat yourself to poutine after every workout.
Cut all sauces out of your diet. No ranch dip for your broccoli and celery.
Focus on eating just vegetables and fatty meats/fish/eggs. Avoid stuff made from wheat/grain products as much as possible. Avoid sugar as much as possible. Eat at least one egg every morning. Drink as much water as you can tolerate all day. Have a full water bottle with you at all times.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Correct me if iam wrong but dosent weight lifting burn more calories than cardio?

Cardio is if you want a strong heart.
Oct 9, 2011
733 posts
765 upvotes
EAST YORK
If your goal is to just lose weight, then you just need to do cardio - running, swimming etc. - and eat healthy

if you want to gain muscle, you have to do compound weights in a regimented workout plan.

Seems to be the first one, so I would suggest going out for a run every day. try to run outside at a park or something, it's better for your knee and ankle joints than a treadmill. If you can go swimming, do that as well. Most importantly, fix your diet. It's the most important aspect of any workout plan
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10717 posts
5522 upvotes
Toronto
flyingnurse wrote: Correct me if iam wrong but dosent weight lifting burn more calories than cardio?

during the actual exercise session there maybe more calories burned doing cardio (possibly because typically more time is spent doing cardio) but for "afterburn" high intensity weight lifting/ sprinting is the way to go.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
dp99ag wrote: Crossfit if you can afford it.
+1. I went to the gym quite regularly and thought I was relatively strong (although not too bulky). I show up at crossfit and I'm the absolute worst there.

But if you can't afford it, I'd do weights and a billion burpees.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
Cardio is always the best way to loose weight faster. But don't ignore some weights too to balance things out. And make sure your eating habits are in check.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
flyingnurse wrote: Correct me if iam wrong but dosent weight lifting burn more calories than cardio?

IMO, cardio will burn more calories eg. skipping, umping jacks etc

Where the weight lifting comes in is in building more muscle.

With more muscle for the body to feed, metabolism increases and so burns more energy, even in a stationary state.

OP will do well to go for balance, prevent hurting themselves by not trying to do too much initially, and don't expect miraculous results in just one summer.

Do cardio to warm up muscles before doing weights, maybe some more cardio after to cool down gradually.

Do rest at least one day of the week to allow sore muscles to recuperate.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)