• Jul 21st, 2010 5:15 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2007
3210 posts
807 upvotes

Best File Compressor

So I personally use 7-zip, since its free and snappy, but a lot of people like the popular "winrar" or "winzip".

http://eceplayground.com/2010/07/11/fil ... -the-best/

that article basically tests out winzip, winrar, winace, 7zip, and windows default compressor side by side to see whats the best :P

What do you guys use for compression? I always hated the nagging screen in winrar, so have avoided it. 7zip is my favorite
31 replies
Banned
Jun 19, 2010
791 posts
139 upvotes
OnTheRFDPlace
Winrar...

What nagging screen?
Hurley, Hurley Bernard!
!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 28, 2005
6467 posts
460 upvotes
Scarborough
what i would of like to of seen in those test was time to compress and uncompress
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
147 upvotes
hurley_bernard wrote: Winrar...

What nagging screen?
Picked up a winrar 3.1 legit with registration from many moons ago as a freebee from the site itself (someone's birthday and it was only 24 hours). I haven't updated since, best software... but it no longer handles everything.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2007
3210 posts
807 upvotes
lithiumli wrote: what i would of like to of seen in those test was time to compress and uncompress
Hmm yes, agreed.

but for me personally, when i need to compress, i look at which program does the best compression first, speed is not a priority, guess it depends also on your systems power
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4404 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I use RAR archives, since it's the most common/popular, so I don't have to worry about people asking me dumbshizz questions about extracting files.

> but for me personally, when i need to compress, i look at which program does the best compression first, speed is not a priority, guess it depends also on your systems power

How CPU extensive is a criteria for me. For example, in audio, APE can yield slightly smaller files than FLAC, but the amount of CPU APE requires, even when decoding, is a turnoff.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38391 posts
12011 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Another 7Zip user here.

I absolutely hate WinZIP.

WinRar is better, but the nag screen is a pain.

7Zip is free and I like it the most. It is a little buggy, but I usually just exit and try again.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2002
2927 posts
334 upvotes
Nations Capital
I use peazip, its puts a GUI around command line 7zip. works nice I like it. best of all I like its 64b version!
Now Heat ENABLED :)
-----------
Who Are You? - What Do You Want? - Why Are You Here? - Where Are You Going?
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
Amourek wrote: Given how cheap storage is today, those tests are all but irrelevant for most users. Speed is key.
I agree ... Although I use WinRAR/7Zip, I only use them to 'package' the files and folders. And I choose the "Store" (0% compression) option. It's as fast as your HDs can read/write.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12603 posts
3028 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Amourek wrote: Given how cheap storage is today, those tests are all but irrelevant for most users. Speed is key.
True. These compression programs are mainly used to pack many small files into one package to send around for convenience. The actual compression is not really of much concern. Plus, they are only able to compress compressible files. Things like H264, MP3 and even the new Office .x files are not compressible.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
board123 wrote: True. These compression programs are mainly used to pack many small files into one package to send around for convenience. The actual compression is not really of much concern. Plus, they are only able to compress compressible files. Things like H264, MP3 and even the new Office .x files are not compressible.
Yup ... The .x files from Office 2007/2010 are actually Zip/RAR files already. We can 'unzip' .x files to retrieve the real content if you really need to ....
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12603 posts
3028 upvotes
Richmond Hill
willy wrote: Yup ... The .x files from Office 2007/2010 are actually Zip/RAR files already. We can 'unzip' .x files to retrieve the real content if you really need to ....
I think it's Zip since Rar is a proprietary format.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
board123 wrote: True. These compression programs are mainly used to pack many small files into one package to send around for convenience. The actual compression is not really of much concern. Plus, they are only able to compress compressible files. Things like H264, MP3 and even the new Office .x files are not compressible.

mp3 is already a compressed file.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12603 posts
3028 upvotes
Richmond Hill
eldiablo wrote: mp3 is already a compressed file.
Yeah that's why it's incompressible.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2007
3210 posts
807 upvotes
Interesting, i never knew .x office files were already .zip compressed
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12603 posts
3028 upvotes
Richmond Hill
blackdragon12 wrote: Interesting, i never knew .x office files were already .zip compressed
You can open them up in Winrar or whatnot and access the XML files inside, hence the "x" moniker in the extension. This is why the same document will be much smaller if you save it in docx as opposed to doc.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
2921 posts
78 upvotes
winrar is best for a program with a GUI because it utilizes up to 4 cores and takes advantage of hyperthreading (good for core i7 and other HT processors)
My Feedbacks: My Heatware Ebay

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)