• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2018 4:36 pm
Aug 16, 2012
47 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto

Best food for puppies

Hi all,

I know this question has been asked previously but wondering if anyone can recommend me on reasonably priced puppy food? I know few had said Kirkland however I don't have a Costco membership.

Thanks!
13 replies
Nov 13, 2012
81 posts
36 upvotes
WINNIPEG
How good of a reputation does the kirkland dog food have ? Most of the recommended dog food cant be bought from Walmart which means picking a pet store which is like wading into a minefield of options. If you went kirkland brand at least there would be fewer options to make your head spin. The potential is there too to have your membership paid for by the savings on the food.

Any thoughts on the kirkland brand ?
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2541 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
I was going to recommend dog food advisor .... everyone has their own opinion and go-to when it comes to dog food/diet, so don't get overwhelmed with different responses!
Aug 16, 2012
47 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
FlukeSkywalker wrote: OP, what type of dog did you get? Post pictures!
I haven't actually picked the pup yet, the litter is only 2 weeks old... Just trying to prepare before he is old enough to come home! Will post when I pick him up :)

It's a beagle btw
Aug 16, 2012
47 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Nuprapture wrote: dogfoodadvisor has some great reviews
MrsPotato wrote: I was going to recommend dog food advisor .... everyone has their own opinion and go-to when it comes to dog food/diet, so don't get overwhelmed with different responses!
Thanks both I'll check out dog food advisor.. There are so many choices on there!
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, there are many choices. However, once you decide on a food choice you will then have to monitor your pup and see how he/she digests it. We feed our dog one of the foods on the list and have for 12 years now. However, he does not do well on the grain free formula - too many poops - fortunately not cannon butt, but several times a day is too much. His food of course is expensive!

You will also have to watch out for any allergies to certain ingredients.
Nov 13, 2012
81 posts
36 upvotes
WINNIPEG
Beagles have a tendency to eat their own poop .... yeah disgusting I know .... lucky they are so darn cute !

ANYWAYS, I heard it is diet that may stop them from doing this. Perhaps there is a food some one can recommend specifically to work well for beagles ?
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1473 posts
1208 upvotes
British Columbia
cbrdude wrote: Perhaps there is a food some one can recommend specifically to work well for beagles ?
There's no such thing as breed specific foods. Anything that claims it is is a gimmick. It would be like having food designed to be eaten only for certain ethnicities, which is absurd.

Check dog food advisor and make a choice based on what you want to spend vs quality.

The main thing with Beagles is to watch their weight! They aren't picky eaters and are prone to weight gain.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
I agree with Karala both in terms of food and Beagles gaining weight.

We had a Beagle who had a voracious appetite (something most Beagles have in common). Imagine our surprise when our next two breeds of dogs had even more voracious appetites. Although our second breed of dog tended to be more of a gourmet - our current dog will eat anything and everything and will not give up the offending object despite what he is offered.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
I feed my new puppy Nutro Ultra. They are a pretty good brand.
Jan 13, 2013
940 posts
691 upvotes
Vancouver
Can the Kirkland puppy food be purchased in store? I ordered a bag online but I didn't see it at the Costco here.
Jan 19, 2017
431 posts
121 upvotes
yes, some Costco stores carry it, some don't. also, for OP: you don't need a Costco membership to order online from costco.ca.
we are feeding our puppy the Kirkland Chicken and Rice puppy food (yellow bag). It's the food that our breeder was using with all the litters, and i've heard other breeders have also used it. our puppy likes it. we're slowly transitioning her from puppy food to an all-stage food though.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)