• May 28th, 2015 11:33 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 2, 2014
25 posts
5 upvotes
Markham

Best food storage containers?

What are your food storage containers of choice? Glass or plastic? What brand?

I'm debating spending a bit more $ for glass ones because the stains etc plastic gets gross me out a bit and they hold scent.

Glass is heavy though which is OK for storage at home but heavy to take to work.

:)
41 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
2747 posts
155 upvotes
Peterborough
Freezer grade zip lock bags. Too handy.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
Glass.

Anchor goes on sale at Canadian Tire for 70% off quite often.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2011
2351 posts
1122 upvotes
Edmonton
My current favourite are the square red lid Rubbermaid ones (with interlocking lids for storage). They're cheap, and the lids fit relatively well even if I wouldn't trust them to be liquid-tight. I also haven't noticed too much staining (though they will stain a bit if you use them for reheating). They seem to be very popular in general, as my office fridges are chock full of them.

I also have a bunch of leakproof Pyrex containers. The new ones are a little different. Anchor makes decent ones too, although their lids aren't so hot. Though to be fair the cheaper Pyrex containers have terrible lids too.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
I just bought a chamber sealer so now I'm sealing all the things.

I also visit the restaurant supply store and have a wide selection of plastic deli containers.
They're great because I can stack 50 of them in a small space plus they don't stain since they're basically single use. They also vary in sizing to meet most of my storage needs.

Anything large I put in these http://www.cambro.com/Products/Food_Sto ... /1033.aspx
I have like 30 of the 1L for ice cream because they fit perfectly. Although lately I've been using 32oz deli containers.
I also have a bunch of varying sizes going all the way up to the 22qt for brining purposes.
May 12, 2014
997 posts
822 upvotes
Markham, ON
I thought everyone uses the glass ones from Costco. Most of the family and friends house I've been to use them. I think it's called glasslock. I also use if to lunch, but they are a lot heavier than plastic ones. I hate how plastic seems to hold on to oil, so it's harder to wash.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
What's wrong with Pirex or Rubbermaid? They're glass! Wal-mart has a Rubbermaid set on sale right now for only $8!
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
Bobberts wrote: I thought everyone uses the glass ones from Costco. Most of the family and friends house I've been to use them. I think it's called glasslock. I also use if to lunch, but they are a lot heavier than plastic ones. I hate how plastic seems to hold on to oil, so it's harder to wash.
That's what I use. The round Pyrex dishes with the red lids also seem to be pretty popular.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Bobberts wrote: I thought everyone uses the glass ones from Costco. Most of the family and friends house I've been to use them. I think it's called glasslock. I also use if to lunch, but they are a lot heavier than plastic ones. I hate how plastic seems to hold on to oil, so it's harder to wash.
Too expensive. Plus too small. Oh and strange sizes.
I can't argue with results but I will argue with the sizing choices.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
For home use and leftovers, plastic Rubbermaid containers. Mine are about 6 years old and aren't stained. I don't reheat food in them though. For lunches that require reheating, rectangular glass Pyrex dishes with lids.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
I have plastic lock'n'lock for food storage, but I don't heat food in them, that is where you get stains and odors from. I use them for lunches when its salad or something that doesn't need heated. I have some glass ones that I use if I need to heat lunches. Both work for different things.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10717 posts
5521 upvotes
Toronto
glasslock for me all the way. they send you replacement lids for free as well.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
May 12, 2014
997 posts
822 upvotes
Markham, ON
ShoNuff2 wrote: glasslock for me all the way. they send you replacement lids for free as well.
I didn't know that. Good to know. Who do we contact? I don't keep the boxes.

Just checked their website, seems like you can do it online.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10717 posts
5521 upvotes
Toronto
Bobberts wrote: I didn't know that. Good to know. Who do we contact? I don't keep the boxes.

Just checked their website, seems like you can do it online.
i just called the customer service number.
For Glasslock Canada customer service, please contact: 800.661.6721
http://www.glasslockusa.com/contact-us
give them the model number on the bottom of the container and they'll send you the replacement lid. they didn't even charge me for shipping.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1284 posts
486 upvotes
BC
I use 500 ml clear plastic tubs that originally contained bulk peanut butter or salsa, cost about 20 cents with lid. Been using these for chili con carne that I make in 5L batches. I put the containers in the fridge and freezer. These containers are the perfect size for 2 large servings. In the future I may switch to 750ml yogurt tub containers since I have lots of those. I don't heat the food in these containers. I hand wash the containers since they are so lightweight they get flipped over by the water jets in the dishwasher.
Aug 26, 2010
503 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
I use the 2 cup volume Pyrex bowls (blue lids or red lids) with an extra piece of cling-wrap if there are liquidy aspects to the food. I've been told not to microwave food with cling-wrap in direct contact, so I usually go with a layer method of: bowl (with food) + a square of paper towel + cling wrap + the lid (placed on top but not snapped in place.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5016 posts
559 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
I use Ziploc medium freezer bags. They are about 6 or 7 cents each at the Costco sale price. Good for freezing, marinating, storage, or sous vide.

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
jayt90 wrote: I use Ziploc medium freezer bags. They are about 6 or 7 cents each at the Costco sale price. Good for freezing, marinating, storage, or sous vide.
I use a lot of those too.. usually always have each size in the cupboard. Storage containers are needed for work lunches tho!!
That's my 2cents worth
Aug 17, 2003
670 posts
35 upvotes
adams7 wrote: In the future I may switch to 750ml yogurt tub containers since I have lots of those. I don't heat the food in these containers. I hand wash the containers since they are so lightweight they get flipped over by the water jets in the dishwasher.
Sounds like what I've become fond of.

I typically use Glasslock, just because of the reheating factor. Otherwise I like the yogurt/restaurant supply/deli container approach. They have universal lids, so that simplifies things and come in various sizes (ie. 16 ounce, 24 ounce, etc.,). Being freezer friendly is a huge bonus. I still tend to avoid the microwave even though they're supposed to be fine. But with the sheer utility and cost, I don't mind writing directly on them or throwing them out when the time comes.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)