Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean

BEST Free VPN to use with Bitorrent??

K, did a search around and Cyberghost seems to have the best reviews. Unfortunately they say the freebie version doesnt allow/or leaves you exposed when using peer to peer torrent aka promo bay et al... soooo which VPN does and is FREE??

Read some reddit posts and one dude says if you leave Bitorrent on the following settings it will not allow your puter to be recognized. Tried it and it doesnt work! All it does is prevent existing files from being seeded/uploaded and cannot download from new torrents. Lame.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/nxYnFKu.jpg[/IMG]

Anyone have better suggestions on settings or VPN/Bitorrent combo??
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
20 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1948 posts
337 upvotes
A VPN isn't that expensive. Why free? If you're getting the content for "free" why not at least support some business.
Oct 25, 2012
236 posts
48 upvotes
North York
For $3/month you can get a good VPN (sometimes cheaper)
I bet you spend $2-3/day for coffee....
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14958 posts
2921 upvotes
Toronto
If such a thing existed I'd be all over it. In the grand scheme of things a VPN doesn't seem very expensive compared to lunch.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
726 upvotes
Trial account vpns usually are monitored and they cut you off when you reach a certain number of megabytes or number of hours. It would be worse trying to use a trial vpn for bittorrenting than if you purchased a membership.
Mar 6, 2012
783 posts
266 upvotes
walker2238 wrote: A VPN isn't that expensive. Why free? If you're getting the content for "free" why not at least support some business.
My economics teacher has taught me well that there are no free lunches. If something is "free", it's often because YOU are the product. ;)

That said, I've been using https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/buy-vpn/ for awhile now and so far they are great!
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
I have been using "justseed it," cheaper than a seedbox and meets my needs. ;)
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
PIA as mentioned by toy187.

Another method is to use a dedicated or shared seedbox (download via sftp).
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Which is better.. Cyberghost $7.49 cad/mo. or PIA $6.95 usd/mo.??
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
toy187 wrote: My economics teacher has taught me well that there are no free lunches. If something is "free", it's often because YOU are the product. ;)

That said, I've been using https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/buy-vpn/ for awhile now and so far they are great!
eldiablo wrote: PIA as mentioned by toy187.

Another method is to use a dedicated or shared seedbox (download via sftp).

Which package did you buy?? Monthly, yearly, etc...
Mar 6, 2012
783 posts
266 upvotes
aznnorth wrote: Which package did you buy?? Monthly, yearly, etc...
At first I started off with the monthly plan to try it out. After a month or two of being satisfied there just happened to be a special on the yearly plan so I purchased that. I purchased using my regular credit card but whenever I need to renew I'll see if I can't go some other way, even PIA themselves recommend to use bitcoins or another more anonymous method.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4508 posts
700 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Another +1 for PIA. I've used them for 2 years.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
aznnorth wrote: Which package did you buy?? Monthly, yearly, etc...
I have not used PIA in almost three years but if I remember correctly their annual plan was ~$5.xx/month.

Currently I am running a couple of gigabit dedicated seedboxes.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
mcmn243 wrote: For $3/month you can get a good VPN (sometimes cheaper)
I bet you spend $2-3/day for coffee....
I have been paying a lot - $4 a month LOL
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
eldiablo wrote: I have not used PIA in almost three years but if I remember correctly their annual plan was ~$5.xx/month.

Currently I am running a couple of gigabit dedicated seedboxes.
Gone up in price. PIA monthly rate is now $6.95 usd (no cad equivalent) which means it's approx $7.60 cad (CC, paypal I'm sure have higher exchange rates). However if you buy annually $39.95 then it works out to 3.33/mo usd. Still you would get charged the full $39.95 usd now as opposed to the $3.33/mo individually which sucks.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/buy-vpn/
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
danieltoronto wrote: I have been paying a lot - $4 a month LOL
Which provider?? Is that per month or one yr broken down to months since that's how they market it. They want the 1 yrs fee upfront so it's actually $40 usd per annum fee.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1852 posts
879 upvotes
Toronto
Another +1 for PIA. Been using them a year, connected pretty well 24/7 on my server.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
aznnorth wrote: Which provider?? Is that per month or one yr broken down to months since that's how they market it. They want the 1 yrs fee upfront so it's actually $40 usd per annum fee.
I have been using earthvpn. It has server in N Am + China + Eur + Can. You can go for per month
I was using powervpn. That has not had dialer for Linux nor server in China.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1766 posts
4500 upvotes
Pawtucket
+1 for PIA. I paid about $30 USD for the year when they had a special promo for new customers.