• Mar 8th, 2015 12:16 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 13, 2008
687 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto

best french cheese to go with baguette?

i don't have much knowledge of french breakfasts, but i was wondering what is the common or best french cheese that french ppl usually eat with their baguettes? also where in toronto can i go to buy such cheese? thx.
26 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9721 posts
427 upvotes
I don't know what is authentic or the best, but I know brie baguette sandwiches are amazing! brie is pretty common you can find it anywhere, many different kinds.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24561 posts
2331 upvotes
Ottawa
Any cheese you like...the baguette is just the carrier. Could be whole wheat, ciabatta, plain ole Wonder Bread if you like.
It’s not how far you fall that counts. It’s how high you bounce that counts! General G Patton
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2485 posts
210 upvotes
You can buy the basics (brie, camembert) anywhere. Just be careful of the brie on special at Global Cheese, its nasty and many have been burned by buying it in the past. I prefer soft cheeses because they're easier to spread, but I'm partial to Mimolette as well. Nicer cheeses you'll have to go to a specialty store for.

I tried another nice soft cheese recently, I think it was called Mirobon. It was a soft cheese with pistachio inside.

And don't forget the butter and salt. All are key to the picnic you're planning.
Apr 15, 2009
25 posts
Toronto
0xffff wrote:
Jul 12th, 2011 10:11 am
You can buy the basics (brie, camembert) anywhere. Just be careful of the brie on special at Global Cheese, its nasty and many have been burned by buying it in the past. I prefer soft cheeses because they're easier to spread, but I'm partial to Mimolette as well. Nicer cheeses you'll have to go to a specialty store for.

I tried another nice soft cheese recently, I think it was called Mirobon. It was a soft cheese with pistachio inside.

And don't forget the butter and salt. All are key to the picnic you're planning.

What's wrong with the Brie on special at Global Cheese? I almost bought the brie they had displayed on the counter this weekend.
[OP]
Sep 13, 2008
687 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
0xffff wrote:
Jul 12th, 2011 10:11 am

thx, i'll try getting both brie and camembert cheese :razz: . i'll also be checking out this global cheese place, googled it and it has good ratings
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
2616 posts
46 upvotes
have to say i like the cheeses at Costco. There's a nice, reasonably priced selection. darn can't remember the name of one i really like, think it's circular with orange packaging, might be an Oka.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12844 posts
571 upvotes
Depends on how you are eating it...

If I am putting the bread in the oven or making crostini, then I'd love raclette (type)...French vs German Swiss
With wine, maybe something with more flavour like a Tome or Roblechon
As a sandwich, brie and prosciutto
St. Andre is heavenly with a good bread
Soft cheeses like a boursin are great as well

of course a nice Savoyarde or (going more swiss) Moitie Moitie fondue is a treat as well.

Just depends.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2485 posts
210 upvotes
janeausten wrote:
Jul 12th, 2011 10:14 am
What's wrong with the Brie on special at Global Cheese? I almost bought the brie they had displayed on the counter this weekend.

Have you tasted it? It's bitter and disgusting. Why do you think they have it on special, on the counter, unrefrigerated no less? That's not the way you treat a cheese that you expect anyone with a clue to buy.

Don't get me wrong, they have a good selection and have reasonable prices, just beware the impulse buy "specials" at the front.
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2009
4984 posts
524 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
raptorfan wrote:
Jul 12th, 2011 2:51 pm
have to say i like the cheeses at Costco. There's a nice, reasonably priced selection. darn can't remember the name of one i really like, think it's circular with orange packaging, might be an Oka.

It could be Oka or Champfleury

Both are good, but Champfleury is better imho

http://www.pleasureandcheeses.ca/cheeses/oka-classique

http://www.pleasureandcheeses.ca/cheeses/champfleury
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2485 posts
210 upvotes
jayt90 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2011 10:12 am
It could be Oka or Champfleury

Both are good, but Champfleury is better imho

http://www.pleasureandcheeses.ca/cheeses/oka-classique

http://www.pleasureandcheeses.ca/cheeses/champfleury

He's referring to port salut, I believe. It was the first cheese I tried that was reaaaaly stinky when ripe. Made my whole fridge stink and I had a few guests almost pass out when they oepned it up. Needless to say, not everyone can handle a ripe cheese.

Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
2616 posts
46 upvotes
turns out I'm referring to both the Oka & the Port Salut! lol used to buy both each visit. and yes the PS is stinky but tasty!! mmm want cheese now...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9348 posts
2769 upvotes
Ottawa
I just picked up some Oka wash rind cheese on sale at Sobey's (50% off this week) and man was it good!

I also got some Jarslberg few weeks ago and it was excellent as well!

J'aime la fromage :)
Please contact for $-saving tips prior to purchasing Mattamy/Monarch homes in Ottawa.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2007
4433 posts
589 upvotes
I like cheese too. Try some goat cheese or boursin on the baguette and broil it for a short time in the oven.
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2007
1480 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto & north …
canabiz wrote:
Feb 21st, 2015 12:49 pm
I just picked up some Oka wash rind cheese on sale at Sobey's (50% off this week) and man was it good!
Glad to read that; just picked up a wedge piece of OKA L'Artisan at Sobeys for $9.05 for some nice snacking over the weekend.

× < >