Page 1 of 2

best french cheese to go with baguette?

Posted: Jul 12th, 2011 12:43 am
by OpportunityChaos
i don't have much knowledge of french breakfasts, but i was wondering what is the common or best french cheese that french ppl usually eat with their baguettes? also where in toronto can i go to buy such cheese? thx.

Re: best french cheese to go with baguette?

Posted: Jul 12th, 2011 2:04 am
by slowtyper
I don't know what is authentic or the best, but I know brie baguette sandwiches are amazing! brie is pretty common you can find it anywhere, many different kinds.

Posted: Jul 12th, 2011 7:15 am
by Pete_Coach
Any cheese you like...the baguette is just the carrier. Could be whole wheat, ciabatta, plain ole Wonder Bread if you like.

Posted: Jul 12th, 2011 10:11 am
by trane0
You can buy the basics (brie, camembert) anywhere. Just be careful of the brie on special at Global Cheese, its nasty and many have been burned by buying it in the past. I prefer soft cheeses because they're easier to spread, but I'm partial to Mimolette as well. Nicer cheeses you'll have to go to a specialty store for.

I tried another nice soft cheese recently, I think it was called Mirobon. It was a soft cheese with pistachio inside.

And don't forget the butter and salt. All are key to the picnic you're planning.

Posted: Jul 12th, 2011 10:14 am
by janeausten
0xffff wrote: You can buy the basics (brie, camembert) anywhere. Just be careful of the brie on special at Global Cheese, its nasty and many have been burned by buying it in the past. I prefer soft cheeses because they're easier to spread, but I'm partial to Mimolette as well. Nicer cheeses you'll have to go to a specialty store for.

I tried another nice soft cheese recently, I think it was called Mirobon. It was a soft cheese with pistachio inside.

And don't forget the butter and salt. All are key to the picnic you're planning.

What's wrong with the Brie on special at Global Cheese? I almost bought the brie they had displayed on the counter this weekend.

Posted: Jul 12th, 2011 2:44 pm
by OpportunityChaos
0xffff wrote: You can buy the basics (brie, camembert) anywhere. Just be careful of the brie on special at Global Cheese, its nasty and many have been burned by buying it in the past. I prefer soft cheeses because they're easier to spread, but I'm partial to Mimolette as well. Nicer cheeses you'll have to go to a specialty store for.

thx, i'll try getting both brie and camembert cheese :razz: . i'll also be checking out this global cheese place, googled it and it has good ratings

Posted: Jul 12th, 2011 2:51 pm
by raptorfan
have to say i like the cheeses at Costco. There's a nice, reasonably priced selection. darn can't remember the name of one i really like, think it's circular with orange packaging, might be an Oka.

Posted: Jul 12th, 2011 6:32 pm
by nalababe
Depends on how you are eating it...

If I am putting the bread in the oven or making crostini, then I'd love raclette (type)...French vs German Swiss
With wine, maybe something with more flavour like a Tome or Roblechon
As a sandwich, brie and prosciutto
St. Andre is heavenly with a good bread
Soft cheeses like a boursin are great as well

of course a nice Savoyarde or (going more swiss) Moitie Moitie fondue is a treat as well.

Just depends.

Posted: Jul 13th, 2011 8:49 am
by trane0
janeausten wrote: What's wrong with the Brie on special at Global Cheese? I almost bought the brie they had displayed on the counter this weekend.

Have you tasted it? It's bitter and disgusting. Why do you think they have it on special, on the counter, unrefrigerated no less? That's not the way you treat a cheese that you expect anyone with a clue to buy.

Don't get me wrong, they have a good selection and have reasonable prices, just beware the impulse buy "specials" at the front.

Posted: Jul 13th, 2011 10:12 am
by jayt90
raptorfan wrote: have to say i like the cheeses at Costco. There's a nice, reasonably priced selection. darn can't remember the name of one i really like, think it's circular with orange packaging, might be an Oka.

It could be Oka or Champfleury

Both are good, but Champfleury is better imho

http://www.pleasureandcheeses.ca/cheeses/oka-classique

http://www.pleasureandcheeses.ca/cheeses/champfleury

Posted: Jul 13th, 2011 11:56 am
by trane0
jayt90 wrote: It could be Oka or Champfleury

Both are good, but Champfleury is better imho

http://www.pleasureandcheeses.ca/cheeses/oka-classique

http://www.pleasureandcheeses.ca/cheeses/champfleury

He's referring to port salut, I believe. It was the first cheese I tried that was reaaaaly stinky when ripe. Made my whole fridge stink and I had a few guests almost pass out when they oepned it up. Needless to say, not everyone can handle a ripe cheese.

[IMG]http://static.talkingretail.com/images/ ... 0salut.jpg[/IMG]

Posted: Jul 14th, 2011 10:19 am
by raptorfan
turns out I'm referring to both the Oka & the Port Salut! lol used to buy both each visit. and yes the PS is stinky but tasty!! mmm want cheese now...

Posted: Feb 21st, 2015 12:49 pm
by canabiz
I just picked up some Oka wash rind cheese on sale at Sobey's (50% off this week) and man was it good!

I also got some Jarslberg few weeks ago and it was excellent as well!

J'aime la fromage :)

Posted: Feb 21st, 2015 3:50 pm
by dutchca
I like cheese too. Try some goat cheese or boursin on the baguette and broil it for a short time in the oven.

Posted: Feb 21st, 2015 5:21 pm
by NotMoneyGuy
canabiz wrote: I just picked up some Oka wash rind cheese on sale at Sobey's (50% off this week) and man was it good!
Glad to read that; just picked up a wedge piece of OKA L'Artisan at Sobeys for $9.05 for some nice snacking over the weekend.

[IMG]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk13 ... fmlfk6.jpg[/IMG]

Posted: Feb 21st, 2015 5:37 pm
by wiggy
St. Andre. Cantenaar. Jarlsberg.

Posted: Feb 22nd, 2015 1:43 pm
by Supercooled
Not a fan of spreads but Havarti is awesome with baguette and cold cuts. Throw some banana peppers and fresh veggie. Beest sub ever!

Posted: Feb 22nd, 2015 7:44 pm
by canabiz
NotMoneyGuy wrote: Glad to read that; just picked up a wedge piece of OKA L'Artisan at Sobeys for $9.05 for some nice snacking over the weekend.

[IMG]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk13 ... fmlfk6.jpg[/IMG]
Good stuff bud. I had my eyes on this cheese earlier and was glad Sobey's offered it at a significant discount this week. I tried to price match at RCSS but no dice lol.

Really enjoy it with bananas :) Canadian-made cheese as well!

Posted: Feb 22nd, 2015 8:14 pm
by Shawns13
If you want the classic French breakfast, add brie and your favourite jam to the baguette - simple and delicious!

Posted: Feb 22nd, 2015 9:23 pm
by hoob
Baguette, Brie, walnuts smushed into the bree, and a good earthy salami, best sammich ever. ;)