None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2006
1372 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto

Best frozen Lasagna

What is the best frozen Lasagna from the supermarket or even independent shops in the GTA. I'm looking for meat lasagna. Generally I find the frozen variety from the supermarket to be too salty with not enough cheese or spinach.
52 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2006
2473 posts
202 upvotes
Whitby
Make it yourself. It's so easy and it will kill every store made lasagna which I find are 90% noodle.

1 lb ground beef
1 package oven ready lasagna noodles (you don't need to boil them first)
2 cans/jars spaghetti sauce
1 500ml container of cottage cheese
1 egg
1 medium onion (minced)
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 - 2 cups Mozzarella cheese (I usually eyeball it and add more than this)

In a large saucepan brown ground beef and strain off any fat or liquid, add the onion and italian seasoning and heat until the onion turns clear. Add 1 1/2 jars of spaghetti sauce and mix well.

In a bowl mix the egg parmesan cheese and cottage cheese.

In the bottom of a lasagna pan, pour the remaining 1/2 a jar of spaghetti sauce. Evenly space 3 oven ready noodles across on top of the sauce in the bottom of the pan (it will look like there are large gaps between the noodles but they will expand when the lasagna is cooked). On top of the noodles pour 1/3 of the meat sauce mixture. Layer another 3 noodles on top of the meat mixture. Layer the cottage cheese mixture on top of the noodles (you can also add a bit of the mozzarella if you wish). Add another layer of noodles. Add another 1/3 of the meat mixture, then noodles followed by the last layer of meat & sauce. Top with mozzarella cheese.

Bake covered in foil at 350
Banned
Apr 12, 2007
11 posts
Fox River
Make it yourself. It's really simple to make something a lot better than the frozen stuff you buy. If you want it to taste like how nona use to make then it will take a more time and effort.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13293 posts
231 upvotes
Midland
I had some lasagna about a year ago and it was from Costco.
It was really good and is called "Piazza Tomasso". I think it was $8 for 5 lbs.
Anyways, best store-bought lasagna I've ever had.
I don't remember if it had any spinach, but that's not important to me. Lots of meat and cheese is what I like.

I bought some President's Choice Lasagana about 2 months ago and it was utter crap - it had hardly any meat and had a lot of egg filling (gross) in it.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2005
9916 posts
22 upvotes
I like the Piazza Tomasso with chicken breast. I havent seen it for ages at Costco but it was heavenly.
In Every Heart Red Strength, Our Hearts Are Many, Our Strength Your Envy
Jul 29, 2005
773 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I was thinking about buying No Name frozen lasagna 'cause it's on sale but I'm kinda iffy on No Name stuff! Anyone know the quality of their food?
[ c a n t t a k e t h e s k y ]
Nov 24, 2005
697 posts
5 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
LuuC wrote:
Apr 14th, 2007 5:41 pm
I was thinking about buying No Name frozen lasagna 'cause it's on sale but I'm kinda iffy on No Name stuff! Anyone know the quality of their food?
the no-name one is not very good. Mostly noodle. If you are going to buy from that chain go for the P.C. one or the Blue menu. Still not as good as home made.
Jan 1, 2005
582 posts
56 upvotes
Montreal
I've seen the Piazza Tomasso in the club section of Loblaws, in pack of 6 individual portions IIRC.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2005
9916 posts
22 upvotes
The individual portions suck. Little cheese, lots of sauce and thick noodle. The 6lb tray gives a better impression.
In Every Heart Red Strength, Our Hearts Are Many, Our Strength Your Envy
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
1700 posts
117 upvotes
Waterloo
jonkaho wrote:
Apr 13th, 2007 7:01 pm
Presidents choice
+1

It's the best supermarket Lasagna I've tasted so far.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2004
2807 posts
21 upvotes
I haven't tasted a frozen lasagna I've liked. The noodles are way to mushy, ( this goes for most restaurants too). I try to stay away from prepared foods because they simply aren't enjoyable; not to mention of questionable nutritional value. Making your own is more time consuming but infinitely more enjoyable. To
save some time I always make a few pans of lasagna at a time and freeze what I'm not going to be using immediately.
Mar 16, 2005
462 posts
30 upvotes
Hamilton
I think they only have stores in burlington and hamilton but Zarky's is the best I have had
Jan 7, 2005
85 posts
7 upvotes
best when on sale for $9.99
for large tray
I'm a grumpy old man
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
1188 posts
180 upvotes
"Roman" brand lasagna, Its available in Sobey's and No frills or Price Chopper.

You guys must try this brand, this is possibly the best tasting frozen lasagna, ive ever tasted of all the other brands ive tasted. Its like crack, i could almost eat the whole tray.
× < >