[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10134 posts
477 upvotes
Moncton, NB

Best global phone (Chinese) camera

Hi,

I'm looking for what the best camera phone option is around the 300$ mark, is it still the Xiaomi Mi A2 or are there new phones coming out soon I should wait for (I can wait 2 months)? I have a Note 4 and the camera on this is atrocious, I zoom 2x and its pixelated looking at the picture on the phone itself so of no use. I want to start using my phone instead of carrying around a 5 year old DSLR when I travel.

Also, I'm out in the Maritimes so I don't get the same plan options as the big provinces so I'm not looking at anything on a tab since I'd need to pay 60-75$ above the tab for 5GB of data.

Thank you
KitKat item collector- always looking for swag or branded items.
15 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11997 posts
1495 upvotes
Kanata
Unless you do a koodo tab/cancel, the best chinese phone camera in that price range is probably the Mi A2, or if you can stretch it a bit more, then Mi 8 Lite. Mi 8 Lite has more frequency bands (3G AWS, additional LTE bands though not Freedom Mobile Band 66) and a bigger battery than the Mi A2.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10134 posts
477 upvotes
Moncton, NB
Camera on the Mi 8 Lite doesn't seem as good no? I need a good main camera, selfie camera I don't need. The Honor 10 is another option I considered but a bit pricier.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16271 posts
6262 upvotes
Oakville
Do you not have access to any of these deals? No need to keep the plan, just sign up and cancel immediately.

samsung-galaxy-s9-apple-iphone-8-0-kood ... s-2250996/

S9 for $360 + $35 minus $150 gift card is going to beat the pants off *any* Chinese phone for that price. No need to keep the plan, just sign up for the phone and cancel immediately.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1876 posts
500 upvotes
I was also looking at the Mi A2 Lite as it's listed on the Android One site and I want a no bloat added phone, plus it looks pretty nice. However, what are the warranties on these Xiaomi phones, noone sells them locally so I gather warranty is 0 days.

I looked through that thread, I don't get it. So you can buy a S9 "prepaid" and cancel it the next day and get a $150 prepaid card which you can use to pay off the phone? I read a bunch of pages and it's just not clear the cost of the phone in this case.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1876 posts
500 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 8:50 am
Do you not have access to any of these deals? No need to keep the plan, just sign up and cancel immediately.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/samsung- ... s-2250996/

S9 for $360 + $35 minus $150 gift card is going to beat the pants off *any* Chinese phone for that price. No need to keep the plan, just sign up for the phone and cancel immediately.
I don't get it, I looked through a bunch of pages of that thread, there are 100+ pages, it's not clear to me.
$360 is with a 2 year or a pay as you go?
Once you cancel, won't you get hit with the rest of the balance, the S9 is $999 right out...
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16271 posts
6262 upvotes
Oakville
vodka wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 9:51 am
I don't get it, I looked through a bunch of pages of that thread, there are 100+ pages, it's not clear to me.
$360 is with a 2 year or a pay as you go?
Once you cancel, won't you get hit with the rest of the balance, the S9 is $999 right out...
The way Koodo's tab system works is that the device balance is exactly what it says it is, whatever tab you sign up for. So on medium tab, your device balance is $360. That's it. Buy today, cancel tomorrow, you owe $360 and that's it. That's why there are always Koodo phone deals in Hot Deals, and almost never any other carriers. The "activation credit" they give you is actually a real credit, as opposed to being tacked back onto your device balance like every other carrier does it

This is why I gave up on China phones back in 2015. All these compromises for Chinese phones, vs getting a 6 month old flagship for the same price.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1049 posts
342 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 8:50 am

samsung-galaxy-s9-apple-iphone-8-0-kood ... s-2250996/

THIS.

Phone comes unlock nowadays, just take your old sim & pop in to your new phone.
On another note the wait to get your phone would be less compared to getting it from China, don't forget warranty purposes too.
Jan 13, 2017
348 posts
327 upvotes
Toronto
Feneant wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 7:05 am
Hi,

I'm looking for what the best camera phone option is around the 300$ mark, is it still the Xiaomi Mi A2 or are there new phones coming out soon I should wait for (I can wait 2 months)? I have a Note 4 and the camera on this is atrocious, I zoom 2x and its pixelated looking at the picture on the phone itself so of no use. I want to start using my phone instead of carrying around a 5 year old DSLR when I travel.

Also, I'm out in the Maritimes so I don't get the same plan options as the big provinces so I'm not looking at anything on a tab since I'd need to pay 60-75$ above the tab for 5GB of data.

Thank you
According to DXO Mark, the best smart phone camera right now is Huawei P20 Pro; they rank it above the XS Max, Note 9, even Pixel 3, make of that what you will.

Anyway that phone was $310 tab M couple weeks ago from Koodo, but was quickly fixed to $480 tab L. If you can't wait for the price drop, S9 is also a good contender. Like the above poster suggests, you can sign up/cancel right away with no string attached, only with Koodo tho.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10134 posts
477 upvotes
Moncton, NB
I thought about waiting on the Huawei P20 Pro, I don't fall for any of that American fearmongering that the Chinese are spying on us via phones... or maybe they are but then again I'm sure that so are the Americans.

I'll look into the sign up / cancellation, that's a weird way to do business but if it works...
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16271 posts
6262 upvotes
Oakville
Feneant wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 10:09 pm
I thought about waiting on the Huawei P20 Pro, I don't fall for any of that American fearmongering that the Chinese are spying on us via phones... or maybe they are but then again I'm sure that so are the Americans.

I'll look into the sign up / cancellation, that's a weird way to do business but if it works...
It works. RFDers have been doing it for years. The reason they do it that way is because it makes their tabs *super simple* to explain to customers, and 95% of customers don't realize that they even have the option to just purchase and cancel immediately. Everybody I know outside of the RFD world (and obviously, as you've shown, even longtime members of the RFD world) has no idea that it's even possible.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2062 posts
68 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 9:13 am
It works. RFDers have been doing it for years. The reason they do it that way is because it makes their tabs *super simple* to explain to customers, and 95% of customers don't realize that they even have the option to just purchase and cancel immediately. Everybody I know outside of the RFD world (and obviously, as you've shown, even longtime members of the RFD world) has no idea that it's even possible.
What do you mean by 'purchase?'
Jan 13, 2017
348 posts
327 upvotes
Toronto
Before i was in the mentality of sign up/cancel immediately, but Koodo gave me alot of other promos like referral bonus, upgrade bill credit, tab forgiveness etc., so I've been with them since June. Unlike other providers that usually honeytrapped and lock you in with 2 years contract.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16271 posts
6262 upvotes
Oakville
vicktnguyen wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 10:11 am
Before i was in the mentality of sign up/cancel immediately, but Koodo gave me alot of other promos like referral bonus, upgrade bill credit, tab forgiveness etc., so I've been with them since June. Unlike other providers that usually honeytrapped and lock you in with 2 years contract.
I'm with Koodo on my main plan, but I still buy/cancel if I want a new phone and the deals for my current plan/tab level aren't any good (there's often/usually much better deals for new customers signing up on tab large, and my excellent plan is only tab medium eligible, and also not eligible for sign up bonuses).
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1049 posts
342 upvotes
teleguitar wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 9:20 am
What do you mean by 'purchase?'
Open a line with Koodo, get the phone you want on tab & on the cheapest plan.
Once setup cancel Koodo the following day & only be on the hook for the tab balance of the phone.