Green / Eco-Friendly

best green bin liner? Plastic compostable or paper?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2017 2:13 pm
[OP]
Dec 30, 1969
23 posts
1 upvote
Cambridge

best green bin liner? Plastic compostable or paper?

Plastic compostable or paper?
which brand?

looking for something budget friendly as well.

Thank you!
8 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
1909 posts
288 upvotes
Why line the green bin?

Just put all your compostable stuff in those clear plastic bags from groceries .. and then dump into the green bin.

THey will throw them away. It's that simple.

No need to specifically buy bags to throw out!
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.

Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, OSP RULES!
YGK, Toray, Sunline RULES!
Shimano RULES!
St. Croix & Halo RULES!

JDM ONLY.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2481 posts
486 upvotes
Ottawa
Dump from the plastic bag into the green bin? Seems yucky. Compostable plastics are not allowed in Ottawa's green bins. I mostly just use our home compost bins, but when I do use the green bin, I use the paper liners.
Mar 24, 2015
451 posts
63 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I line old newspaper and flyers in a small bin and wrap it up with more newspaper when it's full and throw in the green bin. I also use cereal boxes, potato bags, etc. when available instead of newspaper.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
1676 posts
15 upvotes
In the GTA, it's pointless to buy compostable bags because they will cut the bags open and throw them into the garbage anyways.

Best to check your local program.
May 31, 2006
943 posts
82 upvotes
Burlington
aokec wrote:
Jan 12th, 2017 1:29 am
In the GTA, it's pointless to buy compostable bags because they will cut the bags open and throw them into the garbage anyways.

Best to check your local program.
Maybe in the city of Toronto proper, but in (most of?) the rest of the GTA, compostable bags are part of the green bin program and are processed along with the food waste itself.

It's only T.O. that botched the set up of the green bin program with the incomprehensible idea of allowing plastic bags! :facepalm:
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10196 posts
1307 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Use newspapers/flyers to line your kitchen bin. You would be wasting resources by going out to buy bin liners.
Oct 17, 2016
373 posts
113 upvotes
These are the bags that you need ... no need to buy.

Just use these in a tiny bin that is in your kitchen sink or kitchen counter top ...

Once the tiny bin is full ... tie a knot and toss into the green bin. Done!

And we just use that bulky compost bin to store away the extra clear grocery bags for the tiny bin:

Mitsubishi Lancer RULES.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2481 posts
486 upvotes
Ottawa
SellKijijiOshawa, many places don't accept plastic. Allowed where you live I guess!

Edit: maybe not though... from the City of Oshawa website:
Liner bags that are 100 percent compostable are made from all natural products that will completely break down and become part of the finished compost. Look for liner bags that are marked with logos showing that they are certified compostable bags.
The use of 100 per cent certified compostable liner bags, paper food waste bags, or food waste wrapped in newspaper is the way Durham Region produces top-quality compost.
Liner bags advertised as biodegradable or oxo biodegradable are not compostable. Plastic does not completely break down, making it very costly and inefficient to separate and remove it from compostable material. Green bins lined with unacceptable liner bags including plastic grocery bags will not be collected.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel