• Oct 17th, 2018 9:26 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10509 posts
1224 upvotes

Best hair wax/pomade? And where to buy?

I'm a long time gel user. I had very short hair for a long while and then grew it out a few years ago... during my ahem... man bun faze. During that time, I only used gel as I either wanted it spiky or tied up. But now I have medium length hair (3-4" on top/shaved on sides) for the past year that I just slick back with gel. My barber recommended I use wax and put some in. The results looked so much better.

Without any research, I've tried 2 brands:
Fructis - Wasn't a good hold. I guess Asian hair is too heavy?
L'Oreal - Holds well, but doesn't come out even after shampooing.

So for those that use wax/pomade/mud/etc... what do you use and where do you buy it? I'm looking for a good hold, low shine and easy to wash. I hear Gatsby and American Crew are better brands, but don't know where to buy.
10 replies
Dec 27, 2006
350 posts
140 upvotes
Canada
I use Gatsby for asian hair but I heard American Crew holds up well too. You can buy American Crew almost anywhere (I've seen it at Winners/Marshalls). You can buy Gatsby at TNT or Pacific Mall.
Oct 12, 2008
148 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
Rocky Mountain Barber should be comparable and a Canadian brand. I've ordered Gatsby from Amazon and American Crew I think I've seen at Fortinos.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10509 posts
1224 upvotes
mario-rock wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 7:54 pm
I use Gatsby for asian hair but I heard American Crew holds up well too. You can buy American Crew almost anywhere (I've seen it at Winners/Marshalls). You can buy Gatsby at TNT or Pacific Mall.
I did some more research... seems like American Crew can get flaky.
mmmkwan wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 8:55 pm
Rocky Mountain Barber should be comparable and a Canadian brand. I've ordered Gatsby from Amazon and American Crew I think I've seen at Fortinos.
Since there's no T&T near me and I rarely visit Pmall, I paid a little extra and ordered the pink Gatsby from Amazon (which had 2 day shipping).
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1581 posts
90 upvotes
Vancouver
For wax, highly recommend tigi bedhead matte.
I used to recommend Gatsby Grey wax till that stuff is difficult to wash off. Tigi easily washes off with water.

I have short to medium short hair. Great for people with huge volume of hair. Good hold. Me unfortunately, I'm starting to thin. :/
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10509 posts
1224 upvotes
Just a quick update. The pink Gatsby hold is decent. Better than the other ones I tried, but over the course of the day, it does loosen up more than I would like. It does wash out much better. So it's heads and shoulders above what I've tried, but not quite as good as what my barber had.

I'll keep using it for now until I run out. Then I'll give another brand a try or see what my barber uses.
Dec 29, 2013
33 posts
12 upvotes
Pink Gatsby, I believe, is strong hold for spiky hair look.
How about Layrite and/or Suavecito pomade? They both offer regular and strong hold. You can get Layrite in Toronto Barber & Beauty Supply (Bay & Dundas). For Suavetico, you can get it through their web, but you have to pay the shipping costs. Neither will flake, they are water based and wash out easily. The hold depends on how damp your hair is after your towel dried your hair.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
2326 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
I've tried two types of american crew and it simply does not work for my asian hair. It barely has any hold. Gatsby has much better hold but a pain to wash out.

This one is one of my favourite fibre wax that i get from my barber but it's pricey at $20.

http://www.hairbodyskin.com.au/revlon-p ... x-85g.html
Jul 17, 2007
175 posts
167 upvotes
Montreal
i have used many products and the ones you buy from the big box stores are really not the best when it comes to hold.

i only use mon platin jojoba wax - it is a bit pricey around 30$ for a large tub, but the hold and shine are worth it

i get mine from a barber shop ins Mississauga and i have seen it on ebay

its a great product with amazing results
THE HARDEST THING ABOUT SALES,IS KNOWING WHERE NOT TO WASTE TIME