• Aug 30th, 2018 10:28 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15333 posts
1973 upvotes
Oshawa

Best hands free texting in the car?

I need a new phone to replace my Windows Phone. One thing Windows Phones do quite well (perhaps the only thing) is hands-free send, receive and reply to texts in the car.

I press the voice command button on the steering wheel, say "call Cortana" and I can send a text through her. When a text comes in, Cortana announces it, and gives me the option to read or ignore. After I've read it, she gives me the option to reply or quit.

Can apple or android do this now? I'm not talking about seeing notifications on my dash, I mean hands-free voice control where I only have to push a button on my wheel to send a text.

Thanks.
Last edited by JAC on Aug 29th, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
6 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
12920 posts
4594 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have an iPhone so I can only speak to iOS but yes you can definitely send and respond to text without pressing any buttons on the steering wheel or on the phone. Simply say 'hey Siri' to activate Siri on the iPhone and then tell Siri what you want to do. For example:

To check new text messages:
'Hey, Siri'
'Read my new messages'

To send new text messages:
'Hey, Siri'
'Send a text message to my wife'
Siri will respond: 'What would you like to say to [wife]?'
Say your message.
Siri will respond: 'Your message to [wife] reads: [your message]... ready to send?'
You can respond 'yes' to send' or 'no' or 'change the message' if you want to edit the message.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15333 posts
1973 upvotes
Oshawa
Thanks for the reply. I clarified my original post a bit. I'd like the phone to integrate with the car so messages are read over the speaker system, and sent with the car's microphone. Basically how my Windows Phone works, but with a lot less overall suck.
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
12920 posts
4594 upvotes
Toronto, ON
JAC wrote: Thanks for the reply. I clarified my original post a bit. I'd like the phone to integrate with the car so messages are read over the speaker system, and sent with the car's microphone. Basically how my Windows Phone works, but with a lot less overall suck.
Without knowing which car you have and whether it has support for bluetooth handsfree or speaker I can't say for sure. But if your current Windows Phone is connected to your car's speaker system via bluetooth, then the same can be done with an iPhone over a bluetooth connection.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
12243 posts
8875 upvotes
%s
rvs007 wrote: Without knowing which car you have and whether it has support for bluetooth handsfree or speaker I can't say for sure. But if your current Windows Phone is connected to your car's speaker system via bluetooth, then the same can be done with an iPhone over a bluetooth connection.
This. Unless the car has Android Auto 🤣

For manufacturer's software integration, I've always found Motorola to be a king. Auto detects me in motion and puts phone in "driving mode" where voice commands enable automatically for SMS.

Sadly, this may be one of few worthy features that carry over onto newer Motorola phones (with probably little to no development), since Motorola phones see to get less and less appealing over time (longer delays for OS updates, smaller batteries, often dropping headphone jack, etc.).
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home. Hackers keep changing my location to Leask.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2771 posts
828 upvotes
Woodbridge
My brother-in-law can use his car's audio system to listen and respond to anything including text, WhatsApp, email etc. through Android Auto on his S7. So it's possible. Not sure what the solution would be without Android Auto. I know you can download the Android Auto app and use it as your GPS. Perhaps that provides the same functionality. I might test it out and let you know.
Aug 20, 2009
7312 posts
2056 upvotes
Grimsby
I do this in my car using Android Auto and Bluetooth in a Lexus ES350. I don't initiate it through the wheel but I activate via voice and it picks me up through the mic in the car and plays text to speech back over the car's audio system. "Ok Google <pause>" "send a text to the missus" "etc" is how it works if you haven't used Google Assistant before. It will read you the text back and then you confirm sending it.

My car doesn't natively support Android Auto though so I don't see the actual interface on the touch screen. I strictly use it for the TTS for MMS and apps.