• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2020 12:18 pm
[OP]
Jun 24, 2013
634 posts
1290 upvotes
Mississauga

Best Healthy Cookware- Please recomond

I am looking to buy Healthy cookware, but quite confused.. please guide me if Heritage the Rock is good, or stainless steel or Visions glass cookware?? Thank you so much for your time and replies.
39 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26045 posts
11489 upvotes
Outside of improper use of non stick, I wasn't aware that cookware was unhealthy in any way.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
3423 posts
1407 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
There is some concern about aluminium cookware but if you are really concerned about non-stick, stainless steel and glass would be the best. Some say not to use SS for acidic foods (e.g., tomatoes) but I've never noticed a difference.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26045 posts
11489 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: There is some concern about aluminium cookware but if you are really concerned about non-stick, stainless steel and glass would be the best. Some say not to use SS for acidic foods (e.g., tomatoes) but I've never noticed a difference.
I've heard that too, but good luck eating out ever again.
Everyone that isn't 5 star dining uses aluminium pans.

Also WTF? Glass cookware? Bakeware? Sure. Cookware? Wat.
[OP]
Jun 24, 2013
634 posts
1290 upvotes
Mississauga
death_hawk wrote: I've heard that too, but good luck eating out ever again.
Everyone that isn't 5 star dining uses aluminium pans.

Also WTF? Glass cookware? Bakeware? Sure. Cookware? Wat.
Glass cookware are from corelle or pyrex... Visions cookware...
[OP]
Jun 24, 2013
634 posts
1290 upvotes
Mississauga
thriftshopper wrote: There is some concern about aluminium cookware but if you are really concerned about non-stick, stainless steel and glass would be the best. Some say not to use SS for acidic foods (e.g., tomatoes) but I've never noticed a difference.
Thanks
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3101 posts
1061 upvotes
What happens?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6283 posts
2549 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Get some cast iron pans. We replaced all our teflon with cast iron and are not looking back.
We also invested in some cast iron pans and recommend buying Lodge cast iron pans (made in the USA) as opposed to the cheaper ones made in China. Apparently, some manufacturers use chemicals in their alloy that is not healthy when fabricating their cast iron pans.

We also don't use non-stick for baking. Instead, we use glass or cast iron.

I found Lodge stuff to be competitively priced online and purchased some from the U.S. to save money.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
3423 posts
1407 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
toronto19850 wrote: What happens?
Supposedly the acid leaches some of the metal so you get a metallic taste. May have been a problem with cast iron and non/poor SS cookware.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
2821 posts
15997 upvotes
I can tell you no kitchen uses anything other than aluminum, the cost to go to something else is outrageous and no restaurant not even a 5* would do otherwise.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5977 posts
2512 upvotes
Aurora
Man, I must be the only one on the forum who doesn't like cast iron. Way too heavy for me.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26045 posts
11489 upvotes
hennamomin wrote: Glass cookware are from corelle or pyrex... Visions cookware...
I know it exists, but nothing about it makes any sort of sense to me.

choclover wrote: We also don't use non-stick for baking.
Parchment is awesome. Nothing sticks to it and if covered properly or your food isn't ultra wet, you don't even have to wash the pan.
thriftshopper wrote: Supposedly the acid leaches some of the metal so you get a metallic taste. May have been a problem with cast iron and non/poor SS cookware.
The "issue" with aluminium is that apparently it leeches enough metal that it also makes you crazy.
I don't buy this but that's what some people claim.
Also acid will eat through the pan if not cleaned basically immediately. I have a few pitted pans myself.

Cast iron that isn't well seasoned can affect taste. That's why enameled cast iron is popular.
markopas wrote: I can tell you no kitchen uses anything other than aluminum, the cost to go to something else is outrageous and no restaurant not even a 5* would do otherwise.
I've been through a few places with stainless.
Clad stainless is actually pretty cheap.
Tri ply is more expensive but no one is using someone like All Clad unless you're a Michelin starred joint.
I've seen this particular pan before:
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vollra ... 69210.html
A couple grand in pans isn't really THAT outrageous for a higher end restaurant.
DiceMan wrote: Man, I must be the only one on the forum who doesn't like cast iron. Way too heavy for me.
As someone else mentioned, carbon steel would be a decent alternative.
It doesn't heat nearly as evenly because there is no weight to it, but it seasons up pretty nicely.
Fun fact: This is what woks are made of.
catchandplay wrote: Try instant pot, pressure cooker, saute, slow cook
When you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail.