132 upvotes
Montreal
Any cable deals in Montreal with at least 20 up? All deals are on the 10 up :(
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12742 posts
25705 upvotes
Montreal
exeon wrote: Any cable deals in Montreal with at least 20 up? All deals are on the 10 up :(

I think Videotron offers 20 Mbps Upload but it's expensive when compared to others.
If you can wait a month or two, Fizz (sister company of Vidéotron) will launch Home Internet at a discount price.
It will be the same infrastructure as Vidéotron, at discount prices (but with overseas Customer Support if you need help).
Sep 23, 2007
306 posts
81 upvotes
Yul
Look at other deal's pointed out more at the beginning of this trend. Lots of great deals all different. All depends on your needs.

Take the time to read thru. People sharing what they have.
Sep 23, 2009
197 posts
92 upvotes
Montreal
This is from Fizz
paid for 120Mbps/20Mbps

ping value vary a lot depending on which server chosen
ping 3~35
dwn 90~94
up 16 to 20
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12742 posts
25705 upvotes
Montreal
Ping at 3 ms is amazing! I have never seen a value that low!

You were a MOBILE beta tester and you got an invitation, right?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1534 posts
2211 upvotes
Montreal
Temporel wrote: Ping at 3 ms is amazing! I have never seen a value that low!

Being a mobile beta tester is no guarantee of being selected for home internet, though. I'm a mobile beta tester, but I got no invite. There's a Videotron node right in front of my house and I already have service with a Videotron reseller, but no invite for me. :(
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12742 posts
25705 upvotes
Montreal
dhomas wrote: Being a mobile beta tester is no guarantee of being selected for home internet, though. I'm a mobile beta tester, but I got no invite. There's a Videotron node right in front of my house and I already have service with a Videotron reseller, but no invite for me. :(

May I ask what was you Mobile activation date? Could you check in your Fizz account if you can create a Home Internet plan anyway? Click "Overview" then "Get started" to try to create an Internet plan and please post back here or PM me if it was possible or not. Thank You!

If it works, you should see this:
Images
  • Internet.png
  • Internet2.png
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1534 posts
2211 upvotes
Montreal
Temporel wrote: May I ask what was you Mobile activation date? Could you check in your Fizz account if you can create a Home Internet plan anyway? Click "Overview" then "Get started" to try to create an Internet plan and please post back here or PM me if it was possible or not. Thank You!

If it works, you should see this:
My activation date was October 11th. When I click on the "Get started" link, I can only create a new mobile plan. :(
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12742 posts
25705 upvotes
Montreal
dhomas wrote: My activation date was October 11th. When I click on the "Get started" link, I can only create a new mobile plan. :(

I'm surprised. That really means they don't send invitations to every mobile beta testers in Videotron's service area. I wonder why I was chosen and not you? I activated Oct. 6th. Maybe they will send invitations in waves, good luck and thanks for posting back.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1534 posts
2211 upvotes
Montreal
Temporel wrote: I'm surprised. That really means they don't send invitations to every mobile beta testers in Videotron's service area. I wonder why I was chosen and not you? I activated Oct. 6th. Maybe they will send invitations in waves, good luck and thanks for posting back.
I hope they do send out invitations in waves. I would definitely jump on that 120mbps deal.
Sep 23, 2009
197 posts
92 upvotes
Montreal
Temporel wrote: Ping at 3 ms is amazing! I have never seen a value that low!

yes. I am a mobile beta tester. and I got an invitation by email. like I said in the post. the ping value is depend on which server you link to. if I changed to a smaller server like openface or ebox, the ping will go up as much as 35 instead of 3 to 7.
so far the speed is stable (2 days). at installation I have experienced a bit of turbulence (the speed is no stable and it goes down to 30's and come back to 90's Mbps for a few minutes.) but after finishing set up, it runs stable now (even with the cellular signal "black-out" yesterday. not sure it if it is related).

the wi-fi of the modem is not as good as my old TP-Link AC1900. so I connect the TP-Link router with a Ethernet cable and use it as "wi-fi extender"
Sep 23, 2009
197 posts
92 upvotes
Montreal
Temporel wrote: I'm surprised. That really means they don't send invitations to every mobile beta testers in Videotron's service area. I wonder why I was chosen and not you? I activated Oct. 6th. Maybe they will send invitations in waves, good luck and thanks for posting back.
most likely they will send invitations in waves I think, during the installation, I ask the technician if his schedule is fully booked because of the Fizz offer, he replied: no so much. it is pretty quiet compared to a few months ago.
So, my guess is that Fizz only choose a handful of beta testers at a time. and then after a week, choose another group etc... It also depends on their server too. if the server in your region is no ready yet, most likely you won't received their invitation.
Dec 1, 2014
253 posts
423 upvotes
Anjou, QC
Can anyone comment on bell FTTN vs videotron? Are they any good? I was offered a good deal but u swore off bell years ago when they started throttling like crazy and their speeds were super unstable/ borderline fraudulent.
JANNIES DO IT FOR FREE
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12742 posts
25705 upvotes
Montreal
DrunkTrailerParkSupervisor wrote: Can anyone comment on bell FTTN vs videotron? Are they any good? I was offered a good deal but u swore off bell years ago when they started throttling like crazy and their speeds were super unstable/ borderline fraudulent.
Unfortunately, I have to give credit where credit is due, Bell technology/infrastructure/technicians are top-noch. I'm currently on FTTN. The speed is constant 24/7/365 and latency/jitter is low. I don't think they throttle anything at all. If you get bad results, it's because you are far from the DSLAM or your wiring is old. Bell's technology is excellent! Sorry. Lol!

If you can wait a month or two, the new Videotron's discount brand Fizz will offer cable Internet at discounted prices. It should also be good as it will be Videotron's network.
Last edited by Temporel on Dec 3rd, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 1, 2014
253 posts
423 upvotes
Anjou, QC
Temporel wrote: Unfortunately, I have to give credit where credit is due, Bell technology/infrastructure/technicians are top-noch. I'm currently on FTTN. The speed is constant 24/7/365 and latency/jitter is low. I don't think they throttle anything at all. If you get bad results, it's because you are far from the DSLAM or your wiring is old. It's excellent! Sorry. Lol!

If you can wait a month or two, the new Videotron's discount brand Fizz will offer cable Internet at discounted prices. It should also be good as it will be Videotron's network.
Good to know thanks.

Carrytel shows 50/10 unlimited for $30/month, best deal I have found so far. Is Carrytel any good? Reviews seem mixed.
JANNIES DO IT FOR FREE
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12742 posts
25705 upvotes
Montreal
What's shitty about Bell, is when you start, get promised something in a promotion, then they make a mistake on the billing, sometimes it takes a lot of efforts and time to get it fixed. And when you get a promotion, it's only for 6 months or a year then you have to threaten to quit and keep haggling to get another deal. This gets tiresome in the long run. Another thing that sucks with Bell is that they keep raising their prices very steadily, and it's expensive when compared to others. It might be better to get an honest deal from somewhere else that is ongoing. It depends on what kind of consumer you are. Do you have a lot of energy to haggle every 6-12 months? Do you mind jumping from one ISP to another often? Is down time in between each jump a big problem?
Dec 1, 2014
253 posts
423 upvotes
Anjou, QC
Unfortunately well aware of bell’s billing shenanigans so I would never sign up with them. I was asking more about the technological side.

The deal is offered through carrytel. Never heard of them before so I wanted to know if they are legit
JANNIES DO IT FOR FREE
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12742 posts
25705 upvotes
Montreal
DrunkTrailerParkSupervisor wrote: Unfortunately well aware of bell’s billing shenanigans so I would never sign up with them. I was asking more about the technological side. The deal is offered through carrytel. Never heard of them before so I wanted to know if they are legit.
I understand what you are saying. The only doubt I have is do we get the same quality when we use a reseller instead of Bell direct? If it says FTTN, it's supposed to be FTTN. But if it says nothing, it could be traditional copper wires from the CO to your local DSLAM on top of being copper wires from your local DSLAM to your home. Then, if it's a reseller, do they use Bell's equipment or is it their own equipment at the CO? Is it well managed by competent technicians? That could make a difference. Then does the reseller buy enough capacity? And is it top quality or discounted crap? That could make a difference during rush hours. It could even force them to throttle some traffic. It's not Bell who does the throttling because they have to have enough capacity to supply properly their own clients with their own CraveTV and supply Netflix to the Bell customers perfectly. Then there's the customer service if you have a problem: is the resellers hours M-F 9-5 only? Things to consider before jumping in. Get opinions/reviews and check the complaints if they seem legitimate.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1534 posts
2211 upvotes
Montreal
st-d wrote: most likely they will send invitations in waves I think, during the installation, I ask the technician if his schedule is fully booked because of the Fizz offer, he replied: no so much. it is pretty quiet compared to a few months ago.
So, my guess is that Fizz only choose a handful of beta testers at a time. and then after a week, choose another group etc... It also depends on their server too. if the server in your region is no ready yet, most likely you won't received their invitation.
I didn't get an invitation, but when I log into my Fizz account and click on get started, it now lets me select internet. 40$ for 120Mbps! Sweet!

Does anyone know if you MUST use their modem/router? Or can you use an existing modem? Or at the very least, can you disable the router feature on their equipment so I can continue to use my Google Wifi?
Dec 1, 2014
253 posts
423 upvotes
Anjou, QC
Pulled the trigger on carrytel. I will get a call in about a day to confirm the order and should have it installed with the next two weeks. I will report back
JANNIES DO IT FOR FREE

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)