Ongoing Deal Discussion

Best Internet Deals in Quebec

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2024 7:32 pm
Jun 7, 2008
348 posts
30 upvotes
How to get fizz internet beta? Do I need to sign up somewhere? I don’t see anything to sign up on their website being a beta tester
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25732 upvotes
Montreal
keroma wrote: How to get fizz internet beta? Do I need to sign up somewhere? I don’t see anything to sign up on their website being a beta tester

Please read four posts before yours.
Sep 23, 2007
306 posts
81 upvotes
Yul
Abi3user wrote: Thank you OP, I am in Montreal and I signed up with Cannet through the modemoutlet website.

Deal is 30/10 unlimited, 24.98$ 1st yr / 29.98 2nd yr / 34.98$ 3rd yr

I paid 40$ service fee, and I am using my own router, I got my first bill 28$ tax included.

I was with videotron before, technician came for 1 minute, it's the same speed that I had with Videotron expect it's much cheaper.
Why would you sign on for 3 years ? The price is right for the 1st year but will it be for the 2nd & 3rd year's. The internet prices will come down in the next few months & year's to come.

Did you read the information on what you owe if you leave before the 3rd year is over ?

I'm not sure I'd go that route....

Thanks for your taughts
Sep 23, 2007
306 posts
81 upvotes
Yul
Abi3user wrote: Thank you OP, I am in Montreal and I signed up with Cannet through the modemoutlet website.

Deal is 30/10 unlimited, 24.98$ 1st yr / 29.98 2nd yr / 34.98$ 3rd yr

I paid 40$ service fee, and I am using my own router, I got my first bill 28$ tax included.

I was with videotron before, technician came for 1 minute, it's the same speed that I had with Videotron expect it's much cheaper.
Why would you sign on for 3 years ? The price is right for the 1st year but will it be for the 2nd & 3rd year's. The internet prices will come down in the next few months & year's to come.

Did you read the information on what you owe if you leave before the 3rd year is over ?

Thanks for your taughts
Dec 3, 2018
41 posts
51 upvotes
outtolearn88 wrote: Why would you sign on for 3 years ? The price is right for the 1st year but will it be for the 2nd & 3rd year's. The internet prices will come down in the next few months & year's to come.

Thanks for your taughts
You are right but this is monthly there is no contract, I can leave anytime I want I only have to send them back the modem, there are no fees.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
3155 posts
12777 upvotes
Saint-Eustache
dhomas wrote: I've been using Fizz service since Saturday. It works very well so far! Very fast, modem setup was easy. After you initially set up the modem, you can log in again and turn off the wireless, if you have your own router and wi-fi solution. The only other thing I need to do is port forwarding, which is possible from the router/modem. I would have preferred a "dumb" modem and let my actual router do the rest, but the deal was too good to pass up!

Here's my speed test results:

speedtest.png
how did you get into fizz isn't available yet.
Rogers Unlimited Province, 12gb $39/month!
Jan 1, 2007
359 posts
179 upvotes
Been paying $60/month for 60mbps/10 with Cannet. Need a change, seems like I’m always averaging only 5-10 mbps download. Is this usually due to others in the area and amount of traffic or ?
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25732 upvotes
Montreal
Rlcky wrote: how did you get into fizz isn't available yet.

Please read 9 posts above yours. :)
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2952 posts
1061 upvotes
dhomas wrote: I've been using Fizz service since Saturday. It works very well so far! Very fast, modem setup was easy. After you initially set up the modem, you can log in again and turn off the wireless, if you have your own router and wi-fi solution. The only other thing I need to do is port forwarding, which is possible from the router/modem. I would have preferred a "dumb" modem and let my actual router do the rest, but the deal was too good to pass up!

Here's my speed test results:

speedtest.png
How much are you paying for that service? Is it 150/20 via a cable connection, could you give a bit more detail(s) - I'm on Altima 60/10 for $50/month and using my own cable modem.
What modem/device did they provide, can you post a model? It's not possible to put it in pass-through mode?
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25732 upvotes
Montreal
vodka wrote: How much are you paying for that service? Is it 150/20 via a cable connection, could you give a bit more detail(s) - I'm on Altima 60/10 for $50/month and using my own cable modem.
What modem/device did they provide, can you post a model? It's not possible to put it in pass-through mode?

All the answers you are looking for are here.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1534 posts
2211 upvotes
Montreal
vodka wrote: How much are you paying for that service? Is it 150/20 via a cable connection, could you give a bit more detail(s) - I'm on Altima 60/10 for $50/month and using my own cable modem.
I pay 40$/month for 120/20. This is only for beta testers at the moment, I don't know when they will open up to the general public, nor do I know what the pricing will be when they do.

The modem is a Hitron CODA-4680 (http://www.hitron-americas.com/product/coda-4680/). It does have an IP Passthrough feature, but it doesn't seem to work for me. Whenever I plug my Google Wifi into the passthrough port I've set up, it doesn't even connect to the internet.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1534 posts
2211 upvotes
Montreal
Temporel wrote: All the answers you are looking for are here.
Oops! I hadn't seen your answer before posting mine. I'll check out that Reddit thread, too. Thank you!
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2952 posts
1061 upvotes
dhomas wrote: I pay 40$/month for 120/20. This is only for beta testers at the moment, I don't know when they will open up to the general public, nor do I know what the pricing will be when they do.

The modem is a Hitron CODA-4680 (http://www.hitron-americas.com/product/coda-4680/). It does have an IP Passthrough feature, but it doesn't seem to work for me. Whenever I plug my Google Wifi into the passthrough port I've set up, it doesn't even connect to the internet.
I assume you looked at this, from page 116: https://www.midco.com/contentassets/21f ... A-4582.pdf
The mode should work, unless Fizz put their own firmware which blocks it for some reason; sometimes the MAC changes upstream (reflective of your Google wifi in this case) which may cause what you are seeing.
I would work with Fizz to sort this out. I'm not a big fan of these HITRON modems (Rogers uses these for internet in Ontario, as my dad has one, and I put it in passthrough mode - not this model, but another) but they should work in pass through.
Generally I prefer to use my own device switch/wireless then the one provided - why use this at all, does the google wifi not have an option for PPOE (if that's what FIZZ uses).
From my cable modem, I just get an IP on my own router device, no need for PPOE login although my device can provide that. I would like to subscribe to this and ditch Altimatel actually, but want to keep my own cable modem and ditch the Hitron all together.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1534 posts
2211 upvotes
Montreal
vodka wrote: I assume you looked at this, from page 116: https://www.midco.com/contentassets/21f ... A-4582.pdf
The mode should work, unless Fizz put their own firmware which blocks it for some reason; sometimes the MAC changes upstream (reflective of your Google wifi in this case) which may cause what you are seeing.
I would work with Fizz to sort this out. I'm not a big fan of these HITRON modems (Rogers uses these for internet in Ontario, as my dad has one, and I put it in passthrough mode - not this model, but another) but they should work in pass through.
Generally I prefer to use my own device switch/wireless then the one provided - why use this at all, does the google wifi not have an option for PPOE (if that's what FIZZ uses).
From my cable modem, I just get an IP on my own router device, no need for PPOE login although my device can provide that. I would like to subscribe to this and ditch Altimatel actually, but want to keep my own cable modem and ditch the Hitron all together.
Yes, I'm not a fan of the modem, either. It's big and bulky and takes up entirely too much space in my closet for components that I won't use. I tried the passthrough mode already, but I couldn't get it to work easily, so I went back to the Hitron's internal routing. I will try again some other time, but since I am now working from home it will have to be this weekend or during the evening. If it's helpful to anyone, I can post my results.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2952 posts
1061 upvotes
dhomas wrote: Yes, I'm not a fan of the modem, either. It's big and bulky and takes up entirely too much space in my closet for components that I won't use. I tried the passthrough mode already, but I couldn't get it to work easily, so I went back to the Hitron's internal routing. I will try again some other time, but since I am now working from home it will have to be this weekend or during the evening. If it's helpful to anyone, I can post my results.
It will always be helpful, please do post back here. I'm hoping to get the invite and switch to FIZZ and dump their Hiltron brick. I have a Thompson 475 which I believe supports up to 340/120 so that would work for me if it's supported on FIZZ, then can use my device for PPOE authentication. Hoping to get that invite soon :)
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25732 upvotes
Montreal
vodka wrote: It will always be helpful, please do post back here. I'm hoping to get the invite and switch to FIZZ and dump their Hiltron brick. I have a Thompson 475 which I believe supports up to 340/120 so that would work for me if it's supported on FIZZ, then can use my device for PPOE authentication. Hoping to get that invite soon :)

I bet since they supply the modem rental for free, they won't support any another modem. Maybe you won't even be able to connect with another modem. We'll see.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1534 posts
2211 upvotes
Montreal
vodka wrote: It will always be helpful, please do post back here. I'm hoping to get the invite and switch to FIZZ and dump their Hiltron brick. I have a Thompson 475 which I believe supports up to 340/120 so that would work for me if it's supported on FIZZ, then can use my device for PPOE authentication. Hoping to get that invite soon :)
Temporel wrote: I bet since they supply the modem rental for free, they won't support any another modem. Maybe you won't even be able to connect with another modem. We'll see.
I asked the guy who delivered my modem and it sounded like their modem was the only option. I also have my Thompson that I was using with Teksavvy, but I think I'll just sell it.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2952 posts
1061 upvotes
dhomas wrote: I asked the guy who delivered my modem and it sounded like their modem was the only option. I also have my Thompson that I was using with Teksavvy, but I think I'll just sell it.
I don't see why it wouldn't work; it's possible they aren't open to it because it's a "support hassle"; maybe that guy just doesn't know. You can easily train someone to install cable modems, doesn't mean he has any clue of what DOCSIS 3.0 means.