• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2019 12:32 pm
Dec 18, 2005
574 posts
365 upvotes
Montreal
vodka wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 9:49 am
I assume you looked at this, from page 116: https://www.midco.com/contentassets/21f ... A-4582.pdf
The mode should work, unless Fizz put their own firmware which blocks it for some reason; sometimes the MAC changes upstream (reflective of your Google wifi in this case) which may cause what you are seeing.
I would work with Fizz to sort this out. I'm not a big fan of these HITRON modems (Rogers uses these for internet in Ontario, as my dad has one, and I put it in passthrough mode - not this model, but another) but they should work in pass through.
Generally I prefer to use my own device switch/wireless then the one provided - why use this at all, does the google wifi not have an option for PPOE (if that's what FIZZ uses).
From my cable modem, I just get an IP on my own router device, no need for PPOE login although my device can provide that. I would like to subscribe to this and ditch Altimatel actually, but want to keep my own cable modem and ditch the Hitron all together.
Yes, I'm not a fan of the modem, either. It's big and bulky and takes up entirely too much space in my closet for components that I won't use. I tried the passthrough mode already, but I couldn't get it to work easily, so I went back to the Hitron's internal routing. I will try again some other time, but since I am now working from home it will have to be this weekend or during the evening. If it's helpful to anyone, I can post my results.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1843 posts
490 upvotes
dhomas wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 10:18 am
Yes, I'm not a fan of the modem, either. It's big and bulky and takes up entirely too much space in my closet for components that I won't use. I tried the passthrough mode already, but I couldn't get it to work easily, so I went back to the Hitron's internal routing. I will try again some other time, but since I am now working from home it will have to be this weekend or during the evening. If it's helpful to anyone, I can post my results.
It will always be helpful, please do post back here. I'm hoping to get the invite and switch to FIZZ and dump their Hiltron brick. I have a Thompson 475 which I believe supports up to 340/120 so that would work for me if it's supported on FIZZ, then can use my device for PPOE authentication. Hoping to get that invite soon :)
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2255 posts
2200 upvotes
Montreal
vodka wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 10:25 am
It will always be helpful, please do post back here. I'm hoping to get the invite and switch to FIZZ and dump their Hiltron brick. I have a Thompson 475 which I believe supports up to 340/120 so that would work for me if it's supported on FIZZ, then can use my device for PPOE authentication. Hoping to get that invite soon :)

I bet since they supply the modem rental for free, they won't support any another modem. Maybe you won't even be able to connect with another modem. We'll see.
Dec 18, 2005
574 posts
365 upvotes
Montreal
vodka wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 10:25 am
Temporel wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 10:30 am
I bet since they supply the modem rental for free, they won't support any another modem. Maybe you won't even be able to connect with another modem. We'll see.
I asked the guy who delivered my modem and it sounded like their modem was the only option. I also have my Thompson that I was using with Teksavvy, but I think I'll just sell it.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1843 posts
490 upvotes
dhomas wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 10:35 am
I asked the guy who delivered my modem and it sounded like their modem was the only option. I also have my Thompson that I was using with Teksavvy, but I think I'll just sell it.
I don't see why it wouldn't work; it's possible they aren't open to it because it's a "support hassle"; maybe that guy just doesn't know. You can easily train someone to install cable modems, doesn't mean he has any clue of what DOCSIS 3.0 means.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1843 posts
490 upvotes
Abi3user wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 8:21 pm
Fizz new prices are really disappointing..
That is sad... Why is Fizz even around, Videotron could just lower their prices, and instead not have to create a whole new just as $hitty subsidiary company. Very high likelihood of collusion between these companies, just like the dentistry industry.

Someone enlighten us please; why is this happening?
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2255 posts
2200 upvotes
Montreal
vodka wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 9:32 pm
That is sad... Why is Fizz even around, Videotron could just lower their prices, and instead not have to create a whole new just as $hitty subsidiary company. Very high likelihood of collusion between these companies, just like the dentistry industry.

Someone enlighten us please; why is this happening?

Because they get two pay chèques this way: more money.
They give a ride to the other discount carriers like Virgin, Koodo, Fido, etc. without losing the money of lowering the bills of the suckers on Videotron mobile. Business 101
Last edited by Temporel on Dec 21st, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 23, 2007
66 posts
5 upvotes
Yul
Can we all ask ourselves......
Is this the way we want to do business in Quebec or the rest of Canada ?
The products of our CRTC ......

Let's not make it get worse.......

Share your thoughts with everyone else
Thanks
Oct 3, 2014
256 posts
195 upvotes
QC
Fizz's regular prices seem more expensive than Videotron. You could get 120mpbs for 62$ with Videotron last time I checked.
Dec 8, 2008
944 posts
100 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Bravo Telecom has a nice little promotion, my parents are with them right now, 42$ for 30/10 cable free install/modem rental, see here Bravo promo page..
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
1807 posts
859 upvotes
Montreal
This is the OP.

It seems like all the amazing deals have disappeared from the time I originally started this thread. The regular deal offered by Virgin, Cannet, Carrytel, etc was $30/month for 50/10 with a wireless AC modem.

Where have all these deals gone? It seems that Carrytel includes a wireless modem that only supports wireless-N, and not AC, which is extremely slow.

If you know of any deals, please share them and I'll update the main post.
Last edited by deal_king on Jan 15th, 2019 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Fido CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 2gb $33/month
3 Logitech X-230 Speakers (150% PM at Staples) = $13 each (I bought 3!)[/B]
Jan 10, 2006
281 posts
86 upvotes
deal_king wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 10:31 am
If you know of any deals, please share them in the thread Wiki (2nd post)
Link?

Currently looking for 15-60 Mbps packages. Thinking about switching from Ebox, which we've been happy with, due to them not keeping up the competitiveness of their pricing. Altimatel is on my mind.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)