• Aug 22nd, 2018 12:03 am
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
14432 posts
5180 upvotes
Oakville
trick91 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 1:34 pm
All the providers have to pay a ton for sports channels.
And this is a direct result of the "pro-consumer" decision to block the cable companies from forcing big channel bundles on consumers. All those specialty channels that nobody really wanted in their channel bundles were only kept alive because people were being forced to have those bundles. So now the companies that own those channels (Rogers and Bell, primarily), in order to keep them afloat, have to bring in revenue from other places. Hence, charging through the nose for the channels that people actually want, which is primarily the sports channels.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB recipient
Mar 16, 2009
94 posts
52 upvotes
Halifax
Does EternalTV 18+ include all the same content as the regular subscription, just with the addition of adult content or is it a separate subscription entirely?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
2480 posts
1108 upvotes
Toronto
Rlcky wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 12:04 pm
I was comparing BuzzTV XPL3000 to Formuler Z7+ and DreamLink T2.

Both BuzzTV and Formuler the interface is better than the Dreamlink but based on the review not sure why Formuler is getting negative feedback on amazon.

BuzzTV is very good box but one of review user says " it is imposibe to go backward and the recorded shows cuts quickly while listening"
Also about the Buzz TV:

Pro :
Fast and easy setup
Fast Channel changing
Great picture quality
Beautiful menu and interface the closest I have seen to cable/satellite
Nice remote, has the quality touch feeling.

Cons

The pause, stop, rewind, forward button do not work. You have to bring up a menu in order to pause the view from that menu. When you pause, it pauses but you can not get back again.
This by itself made me return this box as one of the main selling point for this box is the ability to use it as a PVR, and so far it fails that part..

Dreamlink no negative feedback.

anything to comment?
Which box you getting? I've been leaning towards BuzzTV. You thinking of getting the Dreamlink?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
1130 posts
437 upvotes
Toronto, ON
redkulat wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 2:15 pm
Which box you getting? I've been leaning towards BuzzTV. You thinking of getting the Dreamlink?
I've used both boxes, but primarily BuzzTV xpl3000 and Dreamlink T1. To be honest, both are great in its own ways. As far as I know, the BuzzTV boxes are manufactured by MyGica so your getting good hardware and software regularly updated.

I would choose Buzz as the layout is more better than Dreamlink, but that's just my opinion.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Oct 23, 2012
259 posts
126 upvotes
"...is more better"

I read your posts as there is useful info and common sense but this "...is more better" this is quite the gem. :D Not policing grammar by any means but in light of all the off topic posts, I just got a chuckle out of this. :)
Aug 4, 2003
562 posts
37 upvotes
Edmonton
wearysky wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 1:55 pm
And this is a direct result of the "pro-consumer" decision to block the cable companies from forcing big channel bundles on consumers. All those specialty channels that nobody really wanted in their channel bundles were only kept alive because people were being forced to have those bundles. So now the companies that own those channels (Rogers and Bell, primarily), in order to keep them afloat, have to bring in revenue from other places. Hence, charging through the nose for the channels that people actually want, which is primarily the sports channels.
TSN direct, which isn't through any cable company, is $29.99 a month alone. Im just more surprised RedFlagDeals allows a thread like this. I remember years and years back they didn't allow much discussion about modchips.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
14432 posts
5180 upvotes
Oakville
trick91 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 3:12 pm
TSN direct, which isn't through any cable company, is $29.99 a month alone. Im just more surprised RedFlagDeals allows a thread like this. I remember years and years back they didn't allow much discussion about modchips.
Do you think Bell would make it *cheaper* to get TSN-only, outside of a cable company? No way. The number one reason people still sign up for cable is because of live sports. They'd never cannibalize their cable business that way. Same with Rogers and Sportsnet.

But yes, it *is* strange that RFD allows discussion of this here, because as much as anybody wants to justify buying these services "because cable is ripping us off" or whatever, the legality of it isn't really in question.
Dec 27, 2017
95 posts
29 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
lamboman wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 7:00 am
Moral of this is, stop pointing fingers at consumers, because if everything was accessibly good, why would we get these IPTV in the first place? We, consumers, are not happy!
That's not the moral of the story you told.

You tell a story suggesting the consumer has a right to anything and everything and if they can't afford it they should take it by any means they can.

You've basically said you are OK with your decision to knowingly rip off the copyright holders of the content you access. Well, at least you are honest about it.

You do have a choice. You don't have to watch all that purloined content or support those who have built "businesses" for no other purpose but to provide illegally obtained content to you. You can teach your kids the value of a dollar by not subscribing to the telcablecos services and picking up OTA TV and calling it a day. You certainly are teaching them a better lesson than being complicit in the theft of someone else's product.

I don't believe you are speaking for the majority. You are speaking for a subset of those who are willing to ditch cable for "free" IPTV who know full well it's not a moral decision but choose to do it anyway. Then there's another large group of "free" IPTV users who simply don't know any better; some of those if they did realise what they are supporting was wrong would not go that route, while others will line up right behind you.

The bottom line is you are ok with theft of content, and you are not alone that's for sure. That's the real moral of your story.

Have a pleasant day.
Apr 7, 2015
179 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto (GTA)
I'm new to IPTV, so I was wondering if OTA channels are supposed to be like few mins (3-5) behind compared to Cable. Or does it depend on the provider?
So far, I've tested iptv33 and iptv68 service.

Also, I'm looking for IPTV service that is mostly Asian (chinese, japanese, etc) channels but also cover local sports (TSN & SN), does anyone have recommendations?

I've looked at like OK2 or Voodoo, but I why are some of their websites not the greatest.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
14432 posts
5180 upvotes
Oakville
b1ack1otus wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 4:22 pm
I'm new to IPTV, so I was wondering if OTA channels are supposed to be like few mins (3-5) behind compared to Cable. Or does it depend on the provider?
So far, I've tested iptv33 and iptv68 service.

Also, I'm looking for IPTV service that is mostly Asian (chinese, japanese, etc) channels but also cover local sports (TSN & SN), does anyone have recommendations?

I've looked at like OK2 or Voodoo, but I why are some of their websites not the greatest.
I would expect IPTV to lag behind live somewhat, yes, because it's gotta be transcoded and make its way to you over the internet. So no, you probably don't want to be surfing FB/Twitter when you're watching the World Cup unless you don't mind finding out ahead of time who scored. :)
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
2662 posts
76 upvotes
Been using iptvsubs for some time and been great until now. Their customer support is atrocious, been waiting almost 3 weeks now and submitted several tickets after having renewed for 3 months and having errors on checkout, they still managed to charge me but order is on hold. Anyone else having issues?
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
3316 posts
689 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Anything besides DOL2 or STBEMU for Dreamlink T1+ as UI that is stable?
Oct 23, 2012
259 posts
126 upvotes
The Big Telcos are not only oligopolies but are heavily vertically integrated. IPTV will hurt more Bell,Rogers,Telus and Videotron than say Telus. Big Telecom has been cuddled/protected by the government and CRTC hence why they have taken advantage of Canadians. And for the first time, Canadians are saying enough is enough and are putting their hard earned cash in iptv. Former chairperson of the CRTC JP Blais alluded to the fact that these greedy corporations protected by calling out Rogers and Shaw on their decision to end Shomi.
Far be it from me to criticize the decisions of seasoned business people, but I can not help but be surprised when major players throw in the towel on a platform that represents the future of content, only two years after its launch. I wonder if they are not too used to receiving a monthly rent from their subscribers in a protected ecosystem, when they should roll up their sleeves and build a business without protection and free of regulatory intervention.
I invite them to look abroad. In Australia and the UK, for example, consumer pressure and government policy has resulted in, or is seriously contemplating, the structural separation of broadband providers between wholesale and retail. If the winds of change blow too hard and they refuse to bend in the wind, the tree may break at the trunk rather than lose a few leaves.
This applies to internet, cable, and hopefully one day there will be something that disrupts wireless which continues to be protected because it is the Telecom cash cow now.
Feb 28, 2018
30 posts
3 upvotes
lamboman wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 2:19 pm
I've used both boxes, but primarily BuzzTV xpl3000 and Dreamlink T1. To be honest, both are great in its own ways. As far as I know, the BuzzTV boxes are manufactured by MyGica so your getting good hardware and software regularly updated.

I would choose Buzz as the layout is more better than Dreamlink, but that's just my opinion.
Which box is better for ease of scheduling recordings?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)