• Jul 9th, 2018 12:30 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3113 posts
279 upvotes
Mississauga

Best Lactation Consultant in the GTA?

I've been using the Region of Peel clinics, but we aren't getting anywhere......
12 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1735 posts
127 upvotes
Mississauga
I used these guys back 6 years ago and really liked then...i had a preemie and they were super helpful... they are in Brampton http://www.drbfc.net
Apr 4, 2012
508 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto
Jaysan19 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2018 3:29 pm
I would recommend Dr. Jack Newman. International Breastfeeding Centre https://ibconline.ca/
+1, after trying several clinics we tried them, my wife really wanted to breast feed. They were the best imo in terms of specific details, quality and quantity of education/technique. However, she was just unable to breast feed, in the end Dr Newman put her on domperidone, and it worked great in our case
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
2993 posts
306 upvotes
nataliya64605 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2018 3:46 pm
+1, after trying several clinics we tried them, my wife really wanted to breast feed. They were the best imo in terms of specific details, quality and quantity of education/technique. However, she was just unable to breast feed, in the end Dr Newman put her on domperidone, and it worked great in our case
Isn’t drinking Dom Perignon what got you expecting in the first place? :). (Just joking.)
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1350 posts
359 upvotes
I wish I could remember her name but there was one in Brampton that worked out a a strip mall.
Helped my wife immensely.
Alex
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3113 posts
279 upvotes
Mississauga
nataliya64605 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2018 3:46 pm
what is domperidone and what did it do to solve your breastfeeding issues?
Jan 19, 2008
912 posts
379 upvotes
Etobicoke
wikipedia:
Lactation
The hormone prolactin stimulates lactation (production of breast milk). Dopamine, released by the hypothalamus stops the release of prolactin from the pituitary gland. Domperidone, by acting as an anti-dopaminergic agent, results in increased prolactin secretion, and thus promotes lactation (that is, it is a galactogogue). In some nations, including Australia, domperidone is used off-label, based on uncertain and anecdotal evidence of its usefulness, as a therapy for mothers who are having difficulty breastfeeding.[24][25] In the United States, domperidone is not approved for this or any other use.[26][27]

A study called the EMPOWER trial was designed to assess the effectiveness and safety of domperidone in assisting mothers of preterm babies to supply breast milk for their infants.[28] The study randomized 90 mothers of preterm babies to receive either domperidone 10 mg orally three times daily for 28 days (Group A) or placebo 10 mg orally three times daily for 14 days followed by domperidone 10 mg orally three times daily for 14 days (Group B). Mean milk volumes at the beginning of the intervention were similar between the 2 groups. After the first 14 days, 78% of mothers receiving domperidone (Group A) achieved a 50% increase in milk volume, while 58% of mothers receiving placebo (Group B) achieved a 50% increase in milk volume.[29]

To induce lactation, domperidone is used at a dosage of 10 to 20 mg 3 or 4 times per day by mouth.[30] Effects may be seen within 24 hours or may not been seen for 3 or 4 days.[30] The maximum effect occurs after 2 or 3 weeks of treatment, and the treatment period generally lasts for 3 to 8 weeks.[30] A 2012 review shows that no studies support prophylactic use of a galactagogue medication at any gestation including Domperidone
Apr 8, 2011
223 posts
44 upvotes
bk2the6ix wrote:
Jul 5th, 2018 7:57 pm
It's a prescription drug to help with milk supply. Some folks claim more natural means like fenugreek or oatmeal will work.
In any case, a LC will probably assess many other things such as looking at the latch/position, frequency of feeds, if baby has tongue/lip tie etc. before concluding the issue is low supply.
Apr 4, 2012
508 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto
bk2the6ix wrote:
Jul 5th, 2018 7:57 pm
As others said, a drug that was prescribed to her, it helped increase milk supply, to the point where we just needed to top up my daughter with something like 30-60ml of formula per day, I think max was 90 ml as she approached 6 months
Aug 31, 2014
101 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Jaysan19 wrote: I would recommend Dr. Jack Newman. International Breastfeeding Centre https://ibconline.ca/
+1 as well. We had a lot of issues, and once one thing is resolved, other problems popped up. We ended up having 4-5 visits in the first 3-4 months to get it smooth sailing.